Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fox must be confident in their prototype fork with this inverted design.
Just like how confident they were/are about their seal/lubrication design?

Confidence never seems to be the problem with Fox.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
One thing is trying out some silver stanchions which does not make it to production. I would be very surprised if they will not make it to market. Then we can only wait for the single crown version :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
One thing is trying out some silver stanchions which does not make it to production. I would be very surprised if they will not make it to market. Then we can only wait for the single crown version :)
Single Crown USD fork? Sir you are out of your mind. First - the 36 is a very good chasis. Second - have you ever dried a SC USD fork (dnm, shiver, dorado) ? You could as well use noodles for suspension.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was inspired to mention the single crown idea as I actually saw one riding around with one last night and it reminded me what a crazy idea it was. Still makes cool cafe bike forks though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the single shivs and durdados were some of the best looking forks of all time....of all time.

anyone remember the marzocchi RAC?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
those RAC were super hot. same open bath as all the marzocchi's of their time (check the top leg).

gotta love when 100mm was a long travel freeride fork!

i would add that perhaps the best riding DH fork, to this day, i have been on is a stratos s8. too bad it was 9lbs, or i might still be riding it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it was just that. back in 96ish they came out with the super T, which was all handmade and came in under 200 total forks. They also made the mr. T and jr. T, which were also faux triple clamps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i had a Jr. T and Super T and remember them both being real triple clamps
the original Mr T with the orange lowers and bolt on arch had screw on upper stanchion tubes...maybe i'm wrong...maybe it was the jr. T.....but I could have sworn you could turn the "triple clamp" fork into a single crown fork.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the original Mr T with the orange lowers and bolt on arch had screw on upper stanchion tubes...maybe i'm wrong...maybe it was the jr. T.....but I could have sworn you could turn the "triple clamp" fork into a single crown fork.
that might have been the Mr T. i dont remember my Jr. T having screw on stanchions...but then again its been 12 years since i had one. i sold my 5" Z1 Bam for it and it was night and day in terms of stiffness (though both were noodles compared to new forks)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I disagree I think the hottest fork was that special Super T with all the CNC work to it. Forget what it was called.
I had that fork and it was a piece of ****. Had like 1" of bushing overlap. Looked sweet though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had that fork and it was a piece of ****. Had like 1" of bushing overlap. Looked sweet though.
Idk if you owned one, but i did. They had the same 4" of bushing overlap that ALL marzocchi forks did of that era. There were two versions as well, the. Pictured "bolt on" arch, cnced and all, and an earlier "wrap-around", like stratos used on the mx6. My super T was great, far ahead of most anything else in that era. The damping is archaic by todays standards, but the chassi was solid and it was oh-so plush on certain terrain.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I had the wrap-around one on my Rotec. I spent a lot of time polishing it as the whole thing oxidized grey by the time the stickers had peeled off. You are right, it had the same bushings as my Z.1 and Z.2. Hey, I thought it was the **** at first, and it was good enough for Corado Herin and Bas de Bever, so who am I to complain, but it could have been better. The fork felt great until I tried my friend's Mr. Dirt. I think that fork would still be pretty good today.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had the wrap-around one on my Rotec. I spent a lot of time polishing it as the whole thing oxidized grey by the time the stickers had peeled off. You are right, it had the same bushings as my Z.1 and Z.2. Hey, I thought it was the **** at first, and it was good enough for Corado Herin and Bas de Bever, so who am I to complain, but it could have been better. The fork felt great until I tried my friend's Mr. Dirt. I think that fork would still be pretty good today.
MX technology with shimmed compression and rebound valves has been around forever, in fact some of the first products like the RS Mag series used these principles, but mountain bike companies were "lazy" IMO, just going with what was "good enough", so at the same time as this Super T you had RS with their ported-damping boxxer and the manitou Xvert-Ti, which wasn't lubricated anyhwere near a well as the other two. Risse, Mr Dirt, Avalanche, Stratos and others were using much better damping systems the entire time.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Interesting fork... More interesting to know what's inside than what the outside looks like though.

If anybody can tell me what biking video this song was used in, I will give you rep and cake.
The intro of Chainreaction 5, classic.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Here is the beast but without the stickers.

I had a set of those for a while too. Proper love/hate relationship - loved the way they looked and the attention they got, hated that they always seemed tricky to keep sweet (which was weird for a 'zocchi of that era) and agree that they wagged like a spaniel's tail :(

Another interesting point is that a lot of them had slight differences from each other - goes with being hand made, £2k forks I suppose

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I didn't realize that the old Jr. T forks had screw on upper stanchions. Until I dropped the fork in the crowns and had the lowers rip off, that is.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
i was wondering what rim he is using, i didnt even notice the forks.

I know shimano made XT rims or rebranded some to that, but anyone know about the Saint Rims ?
Slight dredge, but some of the shimano riders in the past have been on mavic rims. No such thing as a saint rim outside of maybe some old prototypes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Slight dredge, but some of the shimano riders in the past have been on mavic rims. No such thing as a saint rim outside of maybe some old prototypes.
A lot of shimano riders were on DT rims last year branded as XTR and saint. The Athertons are on Stans No Tubes rims this year, rebranded as shimano. Keep an eye open for some prototypes from Stans under them.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
A lot of shimano riders were on DT rims last year branded as XTR and saint. The Athertons are on Stans No Tubes rims this year, rebranded as shimano. Keep an eye open for some prototypes from Stans under them.
this is always fun to know

do you know if fabians wheels are diff from everyone elses mavics ?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
could've done with something and bit better for Ft.Bill. Ruined his wheel at the SDA, then the same at the World Cup - someone made a pretty poor call trying to run the same thing twice
You can blame the alloy nipples for that. Not sure but it looked like he was on a different rim at wc#2.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...so would this imply that Gee is running tubeless on certain occasions?

It would be nice for Stans to make a more robust UST compatible rim for DH use (maybe something in the 520g weight range).