Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, mine sent out a big bang sound and shock through the frame, seemed to happen on rough climbs.

I didn't bother with new ones, shit hub and I laced it wrong which weakened the flanges, did the usual by lining the middle of the logo up with the spoke hole but that put the spokes in the wrong locations and couldn't be bothered fixing it.

EDIT, My pawls had 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4 stamped in to them, not sure why, they all looked the same.
So I took it apart again and yeah these pawls were all numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 as well. Also did not find any difference in them, in length, tooth size etc.

Though the pawls that cracked and broke (2 cracked, 1 split in half), the ones that came on my recently purchased microspline freehub, do seem be more "grainy" looking metal. Compared to shiny pawls in the XD driver that came with the hub from 2018/2019.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So I took it apart again and yeah these pawls were all numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 as well. Also did not find any difference in them, in length, tooth size etc.

Though the pawls that cracked and broke (2 cracked, 1 split in half), the ones that came on my recently purchased microspline freehub, do seem be more "grainy" looking metal. Compared to shiny pawls in the XD driver that came with the hub from 2018/2019.
I can't recall if mine looked different but the second set I put in looked as if they had some sort of electroplate or case hardening that started flaking off in no time at all.

Your hub shell looks to be as poorly finished as mine too, mine looked like it had a clear coat over the ano to try to hide the rough machining on the flanges.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
pedal insert came out of my SixC crank. inevitable I suppose.... waiting to hear back from Race Face if I can purchase a new crank arm...

edited to add: Race Face isn't as responsive as they used to be. So I called my bike shop. Apparently, they do sell replacement arms, but at $150 each (if they even have any SixC's left). for an extra $100 I can get a whole new (aluminium) crankset. I'm going to go full send and get an orange crankset, to complement the blue and orange theme on the bike... wth, you only live once! and there's nothing like lipstick on a pig!
What a huge supprise a race face product failed

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
pedal insert came out of my SixC crank. inevitable I suppose.... waiting to hear back from Race Face if I can purchase a new crank arm...

edited to add: Race Face isn't as responsive as they used to be. So I called my bike shop. Apparently, they do sell replacement arms, but at $150 each (if they even have any SixC's left). for an extra $100 I can get a whole new (aluminium) crankset. I'm going to go full send and get an orange crankset, to complement the blue and orange theme on the bike... wth, you only live once! and there's nothing like lipstick on a pig!
They say all their products have a lifetime warranty on them. I think they'll stand behind it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
a parent dropped by the other day with a cheap bike he'd bought for his kid on amazon and attempted to put together himself.
_20240731_204421.JPG

The bike arrived with the fork backwards and no assembly instructions and he's certainly not alone in unwittingly putting his kids bike together with the fork back to front.
But this bike has front hub with a SCREW ON disc adapter. So take a guess guess what happens when you brake?
Cunts selling this shit need a fucking slap!
After E THIRTEEN obviously.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
a parent dropped by the other day with a cheap bike he'd bought for his kid on amazon and attempted to put together himself.

The bike arrived with the fork backwards and no assembly instructions and he's certainly not alone in unwittingly putting his kids bike together with the fork back to front.
But this bike has front hub with a SCREW ON disc adapter. So take a guess guess what happens when you brake?
Cunts selling this shit need a fucking slap!
After E THIRTEEN obviously.
Damn sure I had never seen that kind of floating rotor before.

edit : looks like you could have tightened that lower brake mount bolt a bit more there, @Gary

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This cunts pure eagle eyed, eh?

Don't worry. The bike then got a full re-build, PDI and safety check. The dangers of a poorly assembled bicycle will be politely explained to the parent on collection.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh. You meant SKANK? But written in the style if a shite personal number plate! 55K4NGK that'll be £800 please mate
Thankfully yes. We do have those here too.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Edit- nope they dont fit…
Bent an E13 direct mount. Anyone know if the shimano ones fit?
Look similiar, shimano has one ‘tooth/spline’ missing verse the E13 ones. Hard and expensive to find the E13 ones.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Look similiar, shimano has one ‘tooth/spline’ missing verse the E13 ones. Hard and expensive to find the E13 ones.
you mean like this?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Contact E13. The one good thing about the company is their customer service. They're actually very helpful and quick with warranty replacement.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't think I was at fault with my Novatec 'Premium' hub failure.
Cleaned it up today and saw that the drive ring wasn't quite straight, luckily for my hub my hacksaw had been resting for a bit and was keen for some action!
PXL_20240805_055114543.jpg

Seems the drive ring was pressed in clocked wrong and at an angle, the double whammy.

Gave the front wheel away because it made me angry looking at the Novatec piece of shit.
Yes I am a child.

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
Speaking of E13. Anyone on their LG1 DH wheels? I need a new rear wheel and this seems like a really good deal. LG1 Plus Downhill 7 Speed Wheels - 29" Rear (ethirteen.com)
I've been rocking the LG1 Race carbon DH wheelset for about three seasons now. Overall, I don't have much to complain about. Had a little trouble taping them once, but I think it was just my mistake. I've got cushcores on both ends. I've had to swap out the rear hub and freewheel bearings a couple of times. Replacing the wheel bearings was a bit of a challenge. Also, I'm running a Saint 10-speed setup instead of the usual 7-speed.

Last edited: