Quantcast

Windham USA World Cup…..on or off?!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, like I said, the terrain is not the problem.
Did you miss the part about the two commas in the number of dollars it takes to secure a World Cup? Who is putting that money up in Pisgah? A couple of park rangers and a bear?
As far as amenities, Pisgah has a few "bombs away" $hit houses here and there with no plumbing. I am sure those would be able to handle the huge circus that is the World Cup.
And I guess everybody will just tent camp too, since there is no resort.
And if you wanna lift, put a jack under your ass!

Sounds like you need some more bran in your diet! Nothing ever worth doing is easy.

I forgot how hard it is to deliver portajohns. The blue ridge runs straight to Asheville and I believe they have hotels there. Other WC races have had shuttle trucks too. As for the money I will sponsor the event. I am worth tens of dollars! Dont be so dam negative, Im just dreaming anyway

dondon

Monkey
UCI has given Windham Dec 1 deadline to come up with funds and solution. UCI will still have a 6 race series with or without Windham. I personally feel a 8 race series would be better than the current 6, but maybe it will be back up there when UCI have a replacement for Nissan.

dhdad

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
roxbury ny
Here it comes boys!!!

WINDHAM, New York (derailedonline.com) - The official announcement about Windham has not yet arrived but the reality is clear. Windham has already plowed their 4x course that was to stay up for an entire year. The rumor around the campfire is that the money just isn't there for them to support a World Cup.

December 1st was the deadline imposed by the UCI so expect to see some official news soon. Watch back here for updates...

dondon

Monkey
It bums me out that there were well over 10 additional successful bids in place to host DH (and triples) WC events by other countries (including Labresse and Pietermaritzburg again) All with secure funding held in a Bond. These get passed over for events like this that caved in like a house of cards.

What is USAC doing to help promoters find and secure sponsors for event s like this. What is USAC doing to help the gravity scene in USA. It almost seems like all the regional and independent promoters would be better off starting their own gravity federation that would get approval from the UCI as a governing body.

I know these are two different debates, but it boggles my mind how countries like South Africa, Brazil, Maribor and Andorra can all get it right but the almighty USA cant.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It bums me out that there were well over 10 additional successful bids in place to host DH (and triples) WC events by other countries (including Labresse and Pietermaritzburg again) All with secure funding held in a Bond. These get passed over for events like this that caved in like a house of cards.

What is USAC doing to help promoters find and secure sponsors for event s like this. What is USAC doing to help the gravity scene in USA. It almost seems like all the regional and independent promoters would be better off starting their own gravity federation that would get approval from the UCI as a governing body.

I know these are two different debates, but it boggles my mind how countries like South Africa, Brazil, Maribor and Andorra can all get it right but the almighty USA cant.
I'm gonna blame it on Obama and all the illegal immagrants.:think:

Seriously...who immagrates to Southy?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here it comes boys!!!

WINDHAM, New York (derailedonline.com) - The official announcement about Windham has not yet arrived but the reality is clear. Windham has already plowed their 4x course that was to stay up for an entire year. The rumor around the campfire is that the money just isn't there for them to support a World Cup.

December 1st was the deadline imposed by the UCI so expect to see some official news soon. Watch back here for updates...
I'm surprised that they were planning to keep it up in the first place, I thought that kind of stuff needed to be plowed under for winter season?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Again, what Voodoohoo said a while back: Essentially, many of those countries have governmental financial backing (a la Mt. St Anne's WC/Velerium Event). We here do not, and this situation reminds me of the whole health Insurance debate we're currently having. Should we? Maybe. It just doesn't seem to be within the 'Merican culture i.e., no govt. help, but corporate sponsorship is OK. Will this change in the future? Dunno. Right now, corporate sponsorship is also down the tubes with the economy.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
LOL, derailed/hcor is positively not worth quoting. That release is nothing more or less than has already been said in this thread. Windham was planning on plowing that 4x course since Phil offered his building expertise. So, nothing new.

But soon.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
LOL, derailed/hcor is positively not worth quoting. That release is nothing more or less than has already been said in this thread. Windham was planning on plowing that 4x course since Phil offered his building expertise. So, nothing new.

But soon.
WHAT?!?!?! Hcor is not worth quoting!?!?! Wow, you've changed!!!:rofl:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Which is why I haven't held a USAC license since 2007. I support series and events that are worth supporting.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

maribor is not a country, it's a city in slovenia...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
No wonder they didnt stamp my passport every time i crossed the Drava river en route to Pohorje.

i was disappointed by this as well.... but know I know why:rolleyes:

OK, OK, back on topic... deadline is tomorrow. Hopefully they found a pot of gold somewhere. Otherwise is is just a shame that other venues were passed over for failure.

Downhill.Ben

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Newcastle, England
Well, today's the day!

I've just been on to the UCI Mountain Bike site, and it has changed from yesterday. The Nissan logo has gone, and the calender is up on the Mountain Bike frontpage - which all would suggest that this is them getting ready for 2010. Further, Windham is definitley on the calender, which seems strange; no "TBC" beside it or anything.

The good news is they have confirmed there will be 6 rounds in 2010. I'm still dubious as to whether it will be at Windham or not. My money is still on Bromont.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
why is it a loss for the sport?
why? they had problems these summer running their event. they have problems getting enough fund. why shouldn't there be problems running the world cup? no event is better for the sport then a bad event...
Let me spell it out for you then:

When the world's wealthiest national, with countless lift accessed bike parks and world class venues, cannot manage to host more than 2 rounds of the WC in 10 seasons and none in the past 5 years, despite being without question the center of the Cycling industry (and a huge market for any possible outside sponsors of teams or the series itself), that is not good for the sport of downhill. No matter where you are from.

Would Windham have been a great venue? Probably not the best, but not the worst. Are there better places in the US with the infrastructure (more than just good terrain) to do justice as a WC event? Absolutely, but the same can be said for Austalia. Is it better for Windham to be out than to put on a poorly executed event? Yes, without question especially when one considers the broader consequences for future US bids (yes, there are good ones in the pipeline) if Windham got/gets it utterly wrong.

Is it good for the sport when proven events with guaranteed money are passed up for one that flops? No. Is it good for the sport of DH racing that this continues a long standing pattern with WC DH racing failing to be supported in the US with events unable to secure financial backing despite UCI approval? No. DH racing is a 'non-traditional' form of cycling, so despite it's recent upswing in popularity in Europe it still very likely to need American interest and commitment to sustain itself. We are the biggest consumer market in the world, if you can't sell a product or market a lifestyle/sport here you don't stand much a chance unless you have the focused attention of most of the rest of the world. Last i checked, the latter doesn't apply to DH racing; not even close.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When the world's wealthiest national, with countless lift accessed bike parks and world class venues, cannot manage to host more than 2 rounds of the WC in 10 seasons and none in the past 5 years, despite being without question the center of the Cycling industry, that is not good for the sport of downhill. No matter where you are from.
Not to mention the country where mountain bike racing arguably began.

Downhill.Ben

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Newcastle, England
But this is always the case with you guys in the States. I'm not meaning that personally atall, so please don't take offence. What I mean to say is that it's all about the money for your industries it would seem. Yes, you are "the" capitalist country, but we here in Europe are pretty damn capitalist too. The difference is, we're often willing to take a risk or make a sacrifice from a monetary point of view in order to put on a good show. This is where we differ.

It's the same reason Formula1 (the most grossing sport in the world) hasn't taken off in the USA. Indianapolous held the race a few times, but because no one was willing to invest more, the race was dropped. The guys in F1 see the USA as a missed opportunity aswell. It really is a shame that it is going this way.

With reference to the tracks and terrain over your way, they're nothing like over here. I rode in Mamoth with my brother in the summer, and the trails there were pretty basic in comparision to what we have over here. Not SO much to do with the gradient, but more to do with the technicality of the trails. We hired Demo8s, and not once did we really think that we were using the bikes to their full potential.
Nonetheless, the tracks could be fantastic for the WC - purely from a marketing POV. Lift access, easy for camera work, and a nice area for the pits. If exposure was what sponsors were looking for, then the type of tracks you guys have over there are better suited than our by a long way.

...So, something doesn't quite add up...

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
It's the same reason Formula1 (the most grossing sport in the world) hasn't taken off in the USA. Indianapolous held the race a few times, but because no one was willing to invest more, the race was dropped. The guys in F1 see the USA as a missed opportunity aswell. It really is a shame that it is going this way.

noooooooope. It was because indy wanted to much of the cut and other things not lack of investors. The stands were PACKED the 4 years that i went to the race there. Even in the grand stands where you couldnt see a thing, people were there. It was even a good time when only 6 cars were on the track.

People like watching nascar in the US, not beautiful super engineerded super cars.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
noooooooope. It was because indy wanted to much of the cut and other things not lack of investors.
getting closer....Eccelstone wanted too much money (as usual) and when Canada and the U.S. werent willing to pony up the money, he took them off the schedule.

so wheres this announcement?

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
getting closer....Eccelstone wanted too much money (as usual) and when Canada and the U.S. werent willing to pony up the money, he took them off the schedule.
And then he got desperate and put montreal back! Montreal fans are rabid, US fans got screwed after the tire debacle and a lot of them said screw F1.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
ah thats what it was. Now i remember. The course at indy is pretty fun to watch tho.

I tryed for tickets to montreal, but the prices were 3x as much as indy tickets. Supply and demand.

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
But this is always the case with you guys in the States. I'm not meaning that personally atall, so please don't take offence. What I mean to say is that it's all about the money for your industries it would seem. Yes, you are "the" capitalist country, but we here in Europe are pretty damn capitalist too. The difference is, we're often willing to take a risk or make a sacrifice from a monetary point of view in order to put on a good show. This is where we differ.

With reference to the tracks and terrain over your way, they're nothing like over here. I rode in Mamoth with my brother in the summer, and the trails there were pretty basic in comparision to what we have over here. Not SO much to do with the gradient, but more to do with the technicality of the trails. We hired Demo8s, and not once did we really think that we were using the bikes to their full potential.
Nonetheless, the tracks could be fantastic for the WC - purely from a marketing POV. Lift access, easy for camera work, and a nice area for the pits. If exposure was what sponsors were looking for, then the type of tracks you guys have over there are better suited than our by a long way.

...So, something doesn't quite add up...

So since you rode at one bike park in the States, you have a good handle of our terrain here? For the record Mammoth is one huge volcano, covered in pumas, not technical at all even though it is surrounded by 13,000 ft. peaks, i.e. the "exposure" you speak of. Northstar (three hours north) is as technical as any European WC track (and is only at 6,000 ft.)same can be said about places in the Rockies and on the East Coast. The problem has been re-stated 20+ times already. The money and terrain are there. The devoted following of bike racing is not, thus rendering our terrain mute, and taking the $ out of the equation . Thats great that we "invented" the sport, same can be said about baseball. And now, the U.S. doesn't compete on the international level, and is losing ground to Latin American countries as well as Asian countries in terms of player development. Just because you invent a sport doesn't mean you have unlimited entitlement to it. Be thankful for the love your sport gets over there in Europe. Its demand, not terrain, that dictates where these races land.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Sooo, I'm not sure the F1 comparision is the best choice, but did you really just base your judgement of US tracks by comparing all of Europe to Mamoth mountain?

Edit: beat me to it

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
I've never ridden in Europe so I can't compare, but please don't judge all of our trails/terrain after riding at one resort. The U.S. is a huge country with incredibly diverse geography.