Quantcast

Yet another boring house building thread

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Well well well........ look who's keeping an eye on this thread!
Well, as I'm about to undergo a building process myself, I find all this interesting! Once I have some pics/plans worth posting, I'll add them. Looks like construction for me will begin about the 1st of April. In the meantime I've got to line up a roll-off as I'm going to be demo'ing my garage myself.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Okay.....

I've called the company I use to install my fireplace inserts and they have me on the schedule for firebox and chimney install mid next week.

Plumbers have been told they can have the tubs and shower units dropped off now so the carpenter can get them positioned in the bathrooms. Should be on the plumber's schedule for "top-out" Wed-Fri next week.

Electricians have been notified they can start roughing in on 5 Mar.

I need to call the HVAC dude and get the metal ducts started sometime next week as well.

:)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
the more I watch this thread, the more I realize we got conned.
Your houses are both beautiful.

And watching This Old House on Tivo last couple nights and seeing them do green building techniques made me realize just how wasteful our build was too. The things they do that save money over the long haul and reduce environmental impact..astounding.

Watching the visit to the contractor recycling center was amazing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
that thing is really coming along fast
The framers should be finished tomorrow for the most part...

Electricians start Mon as do the plumbers. as soon as the plumbers are done roughing in the stacks i can get the roofing crew to get the shingles on (scheduled for next Fri)...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sweet................

I just read that the building inspector in the town where my construction job is going on in was just indicted on bribery and conspiracy charges!!!!!!!

Rock on!!!!!!!! He is a very tough B.I. so hopefully we'll get an easier guy to deal with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sweet................

I just read that the building inspector in the town where my construction job is going on in was just indicted on bribery and conspiracy charges!!!!!!!

Rock on!!!!!!!! He is a very tough B.I. so hopefully we'll get an easier guy to deal with.
If you are an easy going B.I. how could you convince people to pay you off?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI to anybody reading this and wanting to buy a house.

If you're thinking of doing a Stated Income loan to buy or refinance, the hammer came down this week in my industry. Investment property loan requirements tightened dramaticly. Gone is 100% investment property money.
Subprime lenders, who typically have less working capital (translated money in the bank) are tanking and filing for bankruptcy left and right as the goofball loans they've written over the past few years are starting to default (specificly stated income 2nd home and investment properties).

So, if you are self employed, make sure to have cash reserves in the bank of at least 6 months house payments. It will make financing much easier.

Where there is distress, there is opportunity. Just as with N8 and the rebuilding in Lousiana, all the big dog lenders have lots of capital (cash) and are still dishing out the money left and right!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/news/economy/subprime/index.htm?postversion=2007030514

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
FYI to anybody reading this and wanting to buy a house.

If you're thinking of doing a Stated Income loan to buy or refinance, the hammer came down this week in my industry. Investment property loan requirements tightened dramaticly. Gone is 100% investment property money.
Subprime lenders, who typically have less working capital (translated money in the bank) are tanking and filing for bankruptcy left and right as the goofball loans they've written over the past few years are starting to default (specificly stated income 2nd home and investment properties).

So, if you are self employed, make sure to have cash reserves in the bank of at least 6 months house payments. It will make financing much easier.

Where there is distress, there is opportunity. Just as with N8 and the rebuilding in Lousiana, all the big dog lenders have lots of capital (cash) and are still dishing out the money left and right!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/news/economy/subprime/index.htm?postversion=2007030514

Does this apply to first time home buyers who don't have a lot of cash in pocket?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Sweet................

Shouldn't that be the opposite? If he's taking payoffs to turn the other cheek and was still considered a hardass, shouldn't you be pretty much screwed when the guy that comes in and plays by the law starts work?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Shouldn't that be the opposite? If he's taking payoffs to turn the other cheek and was still considered a hardass, shouldn't you be pretty much screwed when the guy that comes in and plays by the law starts work?
I could comment further but I'd rather not. PM me if you would like to talk.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Does this apply to first time home buyers who don't have a lot of cash in pocket?
Depends. Are you going to be able to buy a house and all of your monthly debts that appear on your credit report, plus the new house payment total 41% of your gross income as reported on tax returns?
If so, then you're fine.

If you're income is primarily hidden thanks to lots of self employment write-offs, then you just want to make sure you have 6 months of house payments...Period.

The segment I mention is TINY in terms of mortgage money...but a segment that hit the lenders focusing on selling it right in the skull.
There are still hundreds of other ways to go 100%.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think we should be able to do the 41%.
Is that a number we should focus on?

We haven't evaluated our current finances that far yet but we easily could.

Wow, I just did a quick calc and we look like we're in pretty good shape.

Depends. Are you going to be able to buy a house and all of your monthly debts that appear on your credit report, plus the new house payment total 41% of your gross income as reported on tax returns?
If so, then you're fine.

If you're income is primarily hidden thanks to lots of self employment write-offs, then you just want to make sure you have 6 months of house payments...Period.

The segment I mention is TINY in terms of mortgage money...but a segment that hit the lenders focusing on selling it right in the skull.
There are still hundreds of other ways to go 100%.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I think we should be able to do the 41%.
Is that a number we should focus on?

We haven't evaluated our current finances that far yet but we easily could.

Wow, I just did a quick calc and we look like we're in pretty good shape.
41% is the invisible ceiling the government secured guidelines outline to get the most reasonable financing. over that and you move into subprime lenders with a slight bump to your rate.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
An update pic... inside the painters are doing their thing now that the trim and cabinet carpenters are done..

roughly 30 days till completion

Feb 14th at lunchtime:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well today was the day my clients had to decide what kind of grass they want in their yard... they chose St Augustine.

Of course none is available for the next 4 weeks... looks like 13 pallets of centipede

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
lead sentence from today's lead article in the WSJ:

"Economists are giving up on the idea that the US housing slump will be quick and relatively painless"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you building these houses next to each other? That would be awesome.

It's like a duplex without a common wall.