Quantcast

2016 speculation thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So this is the result of the Republicans welcoming the Tea party into their folds. A shouty reality show whose only real selling point is that he sells himself, and that is it. And the irony is, other than his xenophobic/racist tendencies, he is the most liberal of all the other republitards.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So this is the result of the Republicans welcoming the Tea party into their folds. A shouty reality show whose only real selling point is that he sells himself, and that is it. And the irony is, other than his xenophobic/racist tendencies, he is the most liberal of all the other republitards.
I hate to say it, but if I'm choosing between him and Hilary, I kind of trust his liberal policies over her in general. I think he is making a point of not touching on that subject, which is quite a good policy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate to say it, but if I'm choosing between him and Hilary, I kind of trust his liberal policies over her in general. I think he is making a point of not touching on that subject, which is quite a good policy.
The thing with Trump is that he is full of hot air. He has absolutely no plan to execute any of his claims. Most of which are outside of the power of the president. He is only successful because of family money, luck and being a self promoter.

There was a pretty good bit on NPR of Trumps actual Business history.

He was successful with a handful of land deals during a Real Estate boom in the 80s. Successful because he had family money and it was a boom. Everything else he has had direct control over has been an abject failure. His recent successes have been when he basically licenses his name to a project, but has little leadership or control. That says everything you need to know.

At one point in time he had the opportunity to develop a large swath of land in Manhattan. The deal fell through because he insulted and pissed off everyone involved. Chinese investors came in and took over, they hired him as a "consultant" and slapped his name on a few buildings. Saying he is a good business man is like saying that Michael Jordan designs great sneakers.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I tend to think the opposite, I've head from White House staffers first hand how she would sit in on all proceedings/bills, which was way over and above the "sometimes there" attendance of the other members. I think she is smart and capable, but the problem is she has baggage and she's also the scapegoat being out in front of most things. Issues like Bengazhi have tainted her where you have to make resource decisions and act based on what you know at the time have tainted her, even though in many of the situations it's not reasonable to think there would have been a better outcome or better decision to make. And the emails, it turns out this is pretty widespread and many have occasionally mixed emails, I don't know whether it's due to a poor email system or what. That doesn't make any of this "right", but she's the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong and she carries with her way too much baggage IMO to even attempt the election. It'll be a turkey-shoot. But, I think she would actually be capable and competent, not go out there to restrict our freedoms, invade a bunch of new ME countries and figure out a way to make everyone live according to her religion.

Republicans, and Trump would fall into this easily IMO, are chomping at the bit to invade Iran. If not Iran, they'll find another ME country.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trump paid $380 million to buy Eastern Air Shuttle to create Trump Air. Eastern Air declared the value of those assets at something like $320 million. Quite the negotiator.

He also wanted to decorate the interiors with Marble. Airplanes lined with stone...

You don't have to guess why you don't see Trump Shuttle show up on your travelocity search.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Jill Stein weeps for you. Honestly, if Bernie wasn't/isn't running, Jill Stein is who this hippie votes for. Much of her agenda is incredibly similar to Bernies, but of course running as an "other" in American politics is pretty much a death sentence. In 2012 I made the decision to vote "pragmatically" for Obama vs. Stein, and I have regretted it ever since. Not that it would have made a difference. I'd would be in her camp now, except that Bernie's politics are pretty much exactly the same, plus he has name recognition and the sort of "machine" that the green party only dreams about.

As far as Trump goes, and I only speak for myself, but I find that any one who can engage in the sort of absolutely repugnant demagoguery that he seems to have taken a shine too to be completely un-electable. That sort of hate filled rhetoric is just a bridge too far for me. His blanket statements about women, mexicans, muslims, etc, not only make me question his viability as a President, but his sanity. So what if I might happen to agree with him on some other issues? Just because a broken clock is right twice a day doesn't mean you fill your house with them.

Edit:

And this doesn't even touch on the completely bullshit mythos as Trump as some sort of capitalist Übermensch.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jill Stein weeps for you. Honestly, if Bernie wasn't/isn't running, Jill Stein is who this hippie votes for. Much of her agenda is incredibly similar to Bernies, but of course running as an "other" in American politics is pretty much a death sentence. In 2012 I made the decision o vote "pragmatically" for Obama vs. Stein, and would be in her camp now, except that Bernie's politics are pretty much exactly the same, plus he has name recognition and the sort of "machine" that the green party dreams about.

As far as Trump goes, and I only speak for myself, but I find that any one who can engage in the sort of absolutely repugnant demagoguery that he seems to have taken a shine too to be completely un-electable. That sort of hate filled rhetoric is just a bridge too far for me. His blanket statements about women, mexicans, muslims, etc, not only make me question his viability as a President, but his sanity. So what if I might happen to agree with him on some other issues? Just because a broken clock is right twice a day doesn't mean you fill your house with them.

Edit:

And this doesn't even touch on the completely bullshit mythos as Trump as some sort of capitalist Übermensch.
I'm a fan of Jill, however have forgotten about her. Unfortunately, it's the throw away risk with the country being so close to 50/50.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'm a fan of Jill, however have forgotten about her. Unfortunately, it's the throw away risk with the country being so close to 50/50.
Eh, I understand the pragmatic argument, and that's why I went for Obama in 2012. But honestly, he turned out to be such a Reagan Republican that I decided I wasn't going to do it again. From now on I vote my conscious, and if the Democrats want my vote, they need to come back to the left, or they need to nominate Sanders. If it's Clinton, it's not happening.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm getting this sinking feeling that the general election is going to be HRC vs The Donald. I don't really like either. The Donald is a racist asshole but he's less wrong on foreign policy than Hillary, plus he'd push for policies that'd benefit me personally.

Come on, Bernie…

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm getting this sinking feeling that the general election is going to be HRC vs The Donald. I don't really like either. The Donald is a racist asshole but he's less wrong on foreign policy than Hillary, plus he'd push for policies that'd benefit me personally.

Come on, Bernie…
If Trump become POTUS you can count on him alienating many countries and getting us into conflicts because of his petty ego. I don't like Old Pant Suit very much, but I'll take the corporate whore over Trump and his mouth. Trump is just bad news for the entire planet. Hillary will probably just maintain the status quo, which is far better than ending up in more global conflicts.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Come on, Bernie…
Caucus on Tuesday.

On a semi-related note, I spent some time canvasing for Bernie last night, and I'll admit to being incredibly surprised. This is anecdotal of course, and a very small sample size, but I would say that the majority of houses I hit where somebody answered the door, were overwhelmingly Bernie supporters with the Hillary supporters being more along the lines of "meh" for Hillary. The difference in the numbers and enthusiasm was stark. It was also amazing the realize that there are way more lefties in town than the reputation of Colorado Springs might suggest.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Caucus on Tuesday.

On a semi-related note, I spent some time canvasing for Bernie last night, and I'll admit to being incredibly surprised. This is anecdotal of course, and a very small sample size, but I would say that the majority of houses I hit where somebody answered the door, were overwhelmingly Bernie supporters with the Hillary supporters being more along the lines of "meh" for Hillary. The difference in the numbers and enthusiasm was stark. It was also amazing the realize that there are way more lefties in town than the reputation of Colorado Springs might suggest.
I don't often hear Dems talk with enthusiasm about Hillary.

My concern is that if she gets the nomination a lot of Liberals will stay home on election day as opposed to voting against Trump. And Trump himself has said he would rather face Hillary than Bernie.

However there is always the slim chance that Hillary will get indicted over the email scandal which is being investigated by 100 FBI agents, and the nomination will go to Bernie. Unlikely, but possible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a rehearsal Tuesday starting at 7. Gah. (That's my caucus time, across town.)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
On a semi-related note, I spent some time canvasing for Bernie last night...
i was passed out at the parents house yesterday afternoon while they are out of town....windows open....bill evans on most of the afternoon....sleep i never get at night....three different times through out the day people banging on the door asking me who i'm going to vote for....i remembered the vermin guy who wears the boot on his head....i mentioned old faithful ham sandwich the second time it happened.....and the third time i just yelled for fucks sake it's fucking sunday...go away...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the past 7 years there have been large numbers of people that have criticized Obama for being "arrogant". A large percentage of those people are now backing Trump, proving that it was just code for "Uppity Negro".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm having president trump dreams. No shit.

I think I might actually be worried about this.

Steve: how do you play that hippster, wholly disinterested thing? Without the annoying part I mean.

I think I need some of that. I think I'm getting downright affected™

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'm having president trump dreams. No shit.

I think I might actually be worried about this.
I've gotten to the point where I now think this is a real possibility. I'm still not sure if Drumpf is Serious®, or serious, but it's past time to stop thinking he's just going to go away. The impetuous is on us to treat it seriously at this point. There is a very real, documented possibility that if it's Drumpf v. Hillary, then your next President just might be Il Douche.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
holy shit.....younger brother /wife caucusing for bernie....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
whatever. you all know that whatever your pipe dreams might be it's gonna be hillary v2.0 vs. Twump. Think about it. You know in your heart what to do, despite it all...