Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Anyone heard anything about the course being changed this year? I understand they are trying to eliminate the section where the course crosses the road for getting up to the campgrounds and race center. Also has anyone heard if Light and Motion will be renting lights this year? I am very blind at night and need a bright light. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
How the heck can they get rid of that road crossing? From what I remember that would remove a ton of the course. On one of my night laps though, one of the volunteers had to scream his head off at some asshat in a truck to get them off the course when I was approaching :angry:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Daily update for Westy. Warm and sunny, things are drying out. We should be back on the dirt by the weekend. Bring your bike.

Still no word from T-Dog, though - hey may be under water.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
Daily update for Westy. Warm and sunny, things are drying out. We should be back on the dirt by the weekend. Bring your bike.

Still no word from T-Dog, though - hey may be under water.
Glad to hear that you are drying out...atleast for today. We were hoping you all were doing well in the awful weather you've been having.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Echo said:
How the heck can they get rid of that road crossing? From what I remember that would remove a ton of the course. On one of my night laps though, one of the volunteers had to scream his head off at some asshat in a truck to get them off the course when I was approaching :angry:
That was exactly the reason I heard they were trying to get rid of the crossing, too many problems with cars.

It is drying out-out here in the desert, although I wouldnt call it warm, although it might get to 70 by Saturday. Last I looked it was 56 and sunny.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK. After talking to ghostrider last night, just wanna clarify the accomodations for when we're in the desert.

T-Dog is renting and towing a tent trailer from CA.
Someone else is renting and towing a tent trailer from CA.
And yet another person owns a tent trailer and is towing it from CA.

This makes 3 tent trailers. Which should be sufficient for sleeping everyone, although it might be a little cramped. Let's make sure we ACTUALLY have 3, because 2 would definitely not be enough. I've done lots of checking, and a RV is way too much $$, and nobody rents vehicles with towing capabilities so we can't rent our own tent camper.

Also, according to my calculations, we will have almost everyone driving from CA to Tucson on Thursday except Treesaw, Squirrel, and Westy. Westy, if you can somehow manage to arrive in Tucson around 7-8pm on Thursday, that would mean one less trip from the desert to the airport. It looks like the airport is on the south side of the city and the race is north of the city, so the less trips betwixt the two, the better.

After the race, I know ghostrider has to go back to CA on Monday. Me, Treesaw, Squirrel, Gee Spot, and douglas are in Tucson until Wednesday afternoon. Anyone else staying in Tucson? I like the sound of riding Catalina National Park. Maybe Borregokid could be our tour guide? I rode Starr Pass last year and it was nice, but I've heard there is much better riding in the area.

And just to make this an official "Plans and Smacktalk" post, EAST COAST RULES!!!!11one

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ECHO, sounds good! and thanks guys for the planning/coordinating!

I'll be bringing $$ for my share of trailer rental & gas!

a question, any plans to do any non biking activity while we are in CA or AZ? (ofcourse I love biking but I dont think my ass, legs or lungs can handle being on a bike for 9 days straight)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
douglas said:
ECHO, sounds good! and thanks guys for the planning/coordinating!

I'll be bringing $$ for my share of trailer rental & gas!

a question, any plans to do any non biking activity while we are in CA or AZ? (ofcourse I love biking but I dont think my ass, legs or lungs can handle being on a bike for 9 days straight)
Yeah, we will definitely make sure the CA people are properly compensated for gas and rental fees :thumb:

As far as the 9 days straight :think:

Monday 2/14 - travel to CA, get drunk
Tuesday 2/15 - ride, get drunk
Wednesday 2/16 - ride, get drunk
Thursday 2/17 - travel to AZ, set up camp, get people at airport, get drunk
Friday 2/18 - pre-ride course, get drunk
Saturday 2/19 - start kicking west coast's asses, get drunk
Sunday 2/20 - finish kicking west coast's asses, get drunk
Monday 2/21 - realize our legs are wasted, get organized for next 2 days, get drunk
Tuesday 2/22 - ride Catalina State Park, get drunk
Wednesday 2/23 - travel back to east coast with massive hangovers

Sound like a good plan?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
that should work as long as somewhere in there I get to (or should I say have opportunities to ) pick up some CA or AZ cute/hot chicks!!
:thumb:

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Echo said:
Yeah, we will definitely make sure the CA people are properly compensated for gas and rental fees :thumb:

As far as the 9 days straight :think:

Monday 2/14 - travel to CA, get drunk
Tuesday 2/15 - ride, get drunk
Wednesday 2/16 - ride, get drunk
Thursday 2/17 - travel to AZ, set up camp, get people at airport, get drunk
Friday 2/18 - pre-ride course, get drunk
Saturday 2/19 - start getting owned by west coasters, get drunk
Sunday 2/20 - finish getting totally owned by west coasters, get drunk
Monday 2/21 - realize our legs are wasted, get organized for next 2 days, get drunk
Tuesday 2/22 - ride Catalina State Park, get drunk
Wednesday 2/23 - travel back to east coast with massive hangovers

Sound like a good plan?
Yeah that sounds doable.

It's been pretty wild up here.....today is the first day my gf could get out to go to work.....there's 4 ways out of this valley, and only one is open right now. Looks like good weather for a while, so I guess time to start training.....

As far as AZ goes:
We were planning to head back to CA on tuesday....I think an extra day of camping was allowed at the site or we can go somewhere else and ride.
I do think, however that we need 4 trailers. 5 people per unit and all their funkified gear would be a bit much I think.

I do have access to an RV here in CA that we can drive out and use.......we'll have a team meeting this weekend and get some details nailed down.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Ummmmmmmmm??

So if all the Cali peeps are heading back on Monday or Tuesday.......How are we (ECHO, Treesaw, Squirrel, Gee Spot, and douglas) getting ourselves and our bikes to the airport Wednesday??

also - it might be a good idea to get a motel on tuesday - I think by then I'll really need a real shower so they will let me on the airplane!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
T-Dog said:
I do have access to an RV here in CA that we can drive out and use.......we'll have a team meeting this weekend and get some details nailed down.
Any news on this T-Dog? Gettin' close now!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
How many laps are you guys planning on doing? I am betting the guys from the east coast knock off 18 laps while they guys from the west coast are either fixing their bikes or sleeping in their campers in the middle of the night. My team did 16, could have been 17 last year but no one wanted to spin another lap.
If you guys havent run Fantasy Island in Tucson you should definitely check that out. I never got tired of it. RC in this months Mountain Bike Action has a nice right up of Fantasy Island. Its a five-star ride IMO. Another great place if you want a desert experience is Organ Pipe Nation Monument 100 miles south of Tucson. There are two great desert rides on of about 24 miles and the other 45. Both are roads and are not technical. The 45 mile loop is closed this time of year and you wont see a car. If you guys are coming from a long ways you should definitely get a great desert experience and OPNM is it.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Borregokid said:
How many laps are you guys planning on doing? I am betting the guys from the east coast knock off 18 laps while they guys from the west coast are either fixing their bikes or sleeping in their campers in the middle of the night. My team did 16, could have been 17 last year but no one wanted to spin another lap.

We all will be either drunk or hungover, plus ECHO has a tendacy to nap when he's suppose to be doing his lap, and the last time I rode a bike was Nov 26th.....but they say you dont forget how to ride.....

I'm thinking we will be lucky to hit double digits for total laps

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I thought we did 17 laps last year, and we had one pretty slow rider, 3 about average riders, and one fast rider. This year we will have all fast people and no slow person, so unless I decide to sleep through a lap again, we should do OK. I still don't know why ghostrider was so upset that I was late for relieving him, because at the end it saved him from having to do another lap :D

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
I thought we did 17 laps last year, and we had one pretty slow rider, 3 about average riders, and one fast rider. This year we will have all fast people and no slow person, so unless I decide to sleep through a lap again, we should do OK. I still don't know why ghostrider was so upset that I was late for relieving him, because at the end it saved him from having to do another lap :D
Well, I'll be slower this year than last, so if I was just "about average" last time, I'm downright slow this year. I like to check out the landscape and smell the flowers anyway. That's what I'm there for.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Well, I'll be slower this year than last, so if I was just "about average" last time, I'm downright slow this year. I like to check out the landscape and smell the flowers anyway. That's what I'm there for.
Heh, wondered if you would catch that smacktalk...

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Echo said:
Any news on this T-Dog? Gettin' close now!
Ok, a basic plan:

Accomodations: Three tent trailers, and one RV.

One person on the drinking team is driving out in a van that he will stay in, so that leaves 14 team members to share the digs. Of those, 13 will split the costs of the rentals and insurance. That figures to roughly be about 75.00 each, for 5 nights. (thursday thru monday).

Chickenhawk, myself and our ringer are all pulling out the tent trailers, Ghostrider will drive out the RV. At least 2 of the rigs, possibly three are going out early thursday morning, so we can get to the site and get a compound set up as soon as possible. Then we can have one of the pickups make a speed run into the Tucson airport, and pick up Treesaw and Squirrel and possibly Westy depending on when he gets there, and if he doesn't rent a van.

Chickenhawk and Ghostrider are heading for Cal. on monday, I had figured to drive back on tuesday. So there is the question of what to do with the thoroughly owned and dejected monkeys from the east coast for the remaining time. Still trying to figure that one out....maybe we can transport to Tucson or Phoenix to rentals.

We are still working on the other details, and supplies.....but if we do the shopping and have the get the rigs loaded with the gear and food on wed. night, and get an early start thurs. morning, that should work.

Thoughts?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
We all will be either drunk or hungover, plus ECHO has a tendacy to nap when he's suppose to be doing his lap, and the last time I rode a bike was Nov 26th.....but they say you dont forget how to ride.....

I'm thinking we will be lucky to hit double digits for total laps
I figure we should be able to get in double digit laps and have a victory clinched for the East Coast monkeys before midnight.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I figure we should be able to get in double digit laps and have a victory clinched for the East Coast monkeys before midnight.
That won't work, since our foolproof plan is to simply sit back and draft off you east coasterz lap for lap, then have it come down to an all-out sprint to the finish on the final lap on Sunday.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
That won't work, since our foolproof plan is to simply sit back and draft off you east coasterz lap for lap, then have it come down to an all-out sprint to the finish on the final lap on Sunday.
Ask Gee Spot what it was like trying to draft me on our road ride last week. The pungent B.O. wasn't the only reason she wasn't enjoying it :devil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
With my ultratight skinsuit, aero helmet and shoe covers I don't leave much of a wake to draft off of.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:

so your saying your ringer will do 16 laps, and the rest of you one each? :blah:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
I hope you're thirsty when you arrive.
I'm always thirsty. I need to map out places to get some tasty brews between the airport and Old Pueblo, I like to try local brews when traveling.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ummm...yeah - so I was checking out some local MTB races that are in March, and I came across this chick - shes organizing these local races AND she'ss doing 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 solo.......

I think she will kick all of our arses !

check her out: http://hmosley.com/index.html

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
I'm always thirsty. I need to map out places to get some tasty brews between the airport and Old Pueblo, I like to try local brews when traveling.
We'll definitely have some local brews for you at the camp. But I doubt anyone would complain if you showed up with more :D