Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo 2006

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Can I join USA Cycling now and get vouchers for the trip?

I haven't been a member for a number of years as I do mostly 'underground' races and 24 / endurance stuff now.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Has anyone heard anything about campfires this year? Last year despite 15 inches of rain they didnt allow campfires. I just put a new chain on my saw and cut a bunch of wood. I am not sure how much I will be able to haul up to the race but I dont want to take much if its a waste of time.

I know its been a mild winter for you guys on the east coast but its not too bad out here in the desert either. Today its about 80 degrees and I was getting warm on a little desert hike.

Not a bad idea to bring some extra brake pads. Last year the ABE shop sold every set of pads they brought out. I only did four laps and that was about all you could get out of a set of pads.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I'm pretty sure you can torch all you want provided the fire is in some sort of raised and enclosed apparatus. T-dog's ingenious washtub fire pit worked beautifully last year. I'm queueing Doug or Chelsea to post a picture of it.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
ghostrider said:
I'm pretty sure you can torch all you want provided the fire is in some sort of raised and enclosed apparatus. T-dog's ingenious washtub fire pit worked beautifully last year. I'm queueing Doug or Chelsea to post a picture of it.
... noted - this is the only picture i have of the tub .. it was nice and toasty

Attachments

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mcgowanc said:
United Bike Vouchers extended through Feb. 28

Colorado Springs, Colo. (Feb. 2, 2006) - The expiration date on the United bike vouchers has been extended to February 28, 2006.

Current United vouchers with the January 31, 2006 expiration date can be used through the month of February. USA Cycling expects to receive new vouchers good through the remainder of the year by the end of February. If you are traveling prior to February 28th and have not received your vouchers, please contact your internal membership coordinator. Any vouchers requested through our on-line system, will be fulfilled after we receive the new shipment of United Vouchers.
yup..mine expired Jan.31, do you think the peeps at the airport will know about the above extension???

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
peter6061 said:
Can I join USA Cycling now and get vouchers for the trip?

I haven't been a member for a number of years as I do mostly 'underground' races and 24 / endurance stuff now.

you can join, just dont know if they would mail you the vouchers in time or not

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I just put a new chain on my saw and it cuts like crazy. I should be able to bring up some firewood except that the wife refuses to come up to the course she said she would stay in Catalina at the park and she needs some firewood. She said there were to many crazy bikers at the race. :rolleyes: Anyone elses wife so S.O. refuse to come up to the race?

I am on a four man open team and I think are combined age is at least 185 is that the oldest team or what? We should get an award for just starting:p.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
There could be less rain and more naked wimmin.

I look forward to running over small rodents in the dark.
accuweather forecast looking good. I'm hoping for slow teammates and lots of sleep, interrupted by pristine desert singletrack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
accuweather forecast looking good. I'm hoping for slow teammates and lots of sleep, interrupted by pristine desert singletrack.

It won't be the same without T-dog, G-Spot, She-Terry, Chicken-Hawk and the rest of the bunch.

I want a "-" in my name.

West-E

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mcgowanc said:
any suggestions on how much to ride / work out next week?
A lot depends on what you have done as far as training up to this week. If you have been pushing hard you want to rest up for the most part. A day or two of 30min rides at a decent effort no later than Wed/Thurs will keep the recovery process going making you stronger. Get as much sleep as you can Thursday and Friday night.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Westy said:
A lot depends on what you have done as far as training up to this week. If you have been pushing hard you want to rest up for the most part. A day or two of 30min rides at a decent effort no later than Wed/Thurs will keep the recovery process going making you stronger. Get as much sleep as you can Thursday and Friday night.
Cool thanks .. I have been lifting twice a week - do you think its best to skip next week .. and just spin? ( I have been going at it pretty good lately)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mcgowanc said:
Westy said:
A lot depends on what you have done as far as training up to this week. If you have been pushing hard you want to rest up for the most part. A day or two of 30min rides at a decent effort no later than Wed/Thurs will keep the recovery process going making you stronger. Get as much sleep as you can Thursday and Friday night.[/QUOT

Cool thanks .. I have been lifting twice a week - do you think its best to skip next week .. and just spin? ( I have been going at it pretty good lately)
I'd stay completely away from the weights and just spin. At this point shorter harder cardio is best but rest is the most important. Remember exercise causes damage, rest makes you stronger by recovering to a more powerful level. If you skip the rest you go into the race in a damaged state. I won't do anything the week before a big race, but being younger you can get away with more than I can.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
In your collective experience, when is the best time to get there to set up? I was thinking of heading up Thursday mid-afternoon, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should take Thursday off as well and get up there in the morning.

Oh... btw... I'll be one of the one you yell to get the f*** out of teh way!

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I'd stay completely away from the weights and just spin. At this point shorter harder cardio is best but rest is the most important. Remember exercise causes damage, rest makes you stronger by recovering to a more powerful level. If you skip the rest you go into the race in a damaged state. I won't do anything the week before a big race, but being younger you can get away with more than I can.
Chelsea may as well just face up to the fact that it's gonna hurt no matter what she does.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Westy said:
mcgowanc said:
-- and again .. thanks :)) .. and I am not that young :P

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
11 DAYS!!!! Thanks, now I'm all paranoid. Found out we may have lost a supervisor, which would put my time off in jeopardy, though I was assured that it wouldn't. I also explained that IF they were to need me, it would be impossible, since I'll be out of cell phone range (just my little white lie to keep them from pestering me).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mantispf2000 said:
11 DAYS!!!! Thanks, now I'm all paranoid. Found out we may have lost a supervisor, which would put my time off in jeopardy, though I was assured that it wouldn't. I also explained that IF they were to need me, it would be impossible, since I'll be out of cell phone range (just my little white lie to keep them from pestering me).
I have had total cell phone failure, dead batteries, no service, went temporarily deaf, and other horrible problems in similar situations.:)

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I'm scheduled off beginning Feb. 14. After that, I don't exist, until I start calling in Sat/Sun after my laps to keep them informed of my progress. What's the saying? "They've survived without me before, they'll survive without me after"? No, I'm not quitting, and maybe that sounds egotistical. I just don't plan on driving 14-15 hours to turn around and come back the next day! I have a trip to Rocky Point, Mexico, planned afterwards. Anyone for shrimp/beer/beach???

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
dont forget your extra batteries! sunset=6:13p, rise=7:05a

and are we riding laps in order 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 ?

doesnt give much time between laps, but I dont have any better ideas

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
dont forget your extra batteries! sunset=6:13p, rise=7:05a

and are we riding laps in order 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 ?

doesnt give much time between laps, but I dont have any better ideas
We could double up laps at night. But doing that would be easier for some than others, unless someone actually likes going to bed at 8:00 and waking up at 3:00. We could do 12123434 at night, probably would result in better lap times and give people decent breaks. We should probably just play it by ear and see how people feel. Maybe Echo will want to do a triple lap set somewhere around 2:00-6:00 AM.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm fine doubling up on laps, or going with the small two man teams, or we could just each do a night lap and then let Echo ride til dawn...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
We could do 12123434 at night, probably would result in better lap times and give people decent breaks.

Maybe Echo will want to do a triple lap set somewhere around 2:00-6:00 AM.
both those ideas sound like they could work

when are you getting to the venue? what about ECHO?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'll do a double lap as long as someone brings me a waterbottle and a couple of gels at the transition tent. Or is there another way we could replenish double lappers? I'm pretty confident I can throw down two consistent laps.

I believe the ghostrider/Echo crew will roll in late afternoon Thursday.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I am not sure how well I'd be at doing a double - I am positive I would do faster laps with some type of break inbetween, like in the 12123434 plan

plus if someone bonks on lap1 of their double and no one is at the tent w/a bike ready to go, we just scrrewd ourselves

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
douglas said:
plus if someone bonks on lap1 of their double
Or has a major mechanical.

I'd still like to do at least one double though. If it's cool with the team.

I suppose if two people wanted to do doubles and 2 people wanted to alternate, we could go 11223434

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is the plan for food? I was thinking of just hitting a store before I got there (actually I'll be swiping food from the Holiday Inn Express Continental Breakfast the week before). Do we want to assign some items as certain things don't make sense for everyone to bring.