Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo 2006

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Damn, I'm out of touch with reality - I just went online shopping for a new Shimano cassette. Crap they are expensive. Anybody going to the race have a hook-up for a new XT 11-34 cassette they could bring to the race? How about some 104mm little and middle rings (any brand)? What happened to the good old days when you could buy a decent cassette for $40?

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
ghostrider said:
Damn, I'm out of touch with reality - I just went online shopping for a new Shimano cassette. Crap they are expensive. Anybody going to the race have a hook-up for a new XT 11-34 cassette they could bring to the race? How about some 104mm little and middle rings (any brand)? What happened to the good old days when you could buy a decent cassette for $40?

ummm i think I have a 12 - 24?? ultegra cassette ... you dont really need a 34 :) Sram cassettes are usually cheaper .. but I think you might then also have to change your derailleur

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mcgowanc said:
ummm i think I have a 12 - 24?? ultegra cassette ... you dont really need a 34 :) Sram cassettes are usually cheaper .. but I think you might then also have to change your derailleur

nah...I,m running sram cass. w/an xt derailleur

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
mcgowanc said:
I want Shimano since the 28 tooth second-to-granny cog on the SRAM cassette really bugs me. It is too big a jump from the 34. And yes, when you are as large as me, you need a 34. I wish they made a 40.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
damn.....there wer 99 teams in 4 person male last year, I hope you boys did some sort of training
I've been playing with trains, does that count?

This is definately the biggest race I have ever been involved in. It was quite intimidating last year lining up on the start with 600 or so other people. What really sucked was hearing the start gun and then having to wait a long time before I could even move in the crowd.

Who is starting this year? I have been running (slowly) a lot lately so I wouldn't mind doing it again. Whoever does it the early Echo bike hand off was key. You still can't go any faster than all the fools running around you but you can basically rest while pedalling at slow speed so when things open up the hammer can be dropped. Damn, I'm getting pretty excited just thinking about it.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Well, I'm out for the run.... well, if you want be to be able to ride at all during the race. Basically, I ride because my knees dont do too well with the whole running thing. Wish I could though. I'll take any spot after that.

Westy said:
Who is starting this year? I have been running (slowly) a lot lately so I wouldn't mind doing it again. Whoever does it the early Echo bike hand off was key. You still can't go any faster than all the fools running around you but you can basically rest while pedalling at slow speed so when things open up the hammer can be dropped. Damn, I'm getting pretty excited just thinking about it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I would be a really bad choice for the run. Seemed like Westy did a good job last year of handling the field. I don't know if it would be worth it to try to get a better spot in the run pack? It's scary to think how fast Westy's first lap would have been if he had less traffic to deal with.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'm excited too - last night, I was hanging w/Heather (who will be there defending her last year solo win) and my brain is in overdrive thinking about the race

no doubt, a couple team members by/holding the runners bike is the way to go...and maybe lining up early to avoid that wait

I'm thinking you(westy) will be the fastest guy on the team...so whats better, send you out 1st in the big crowd, or 2nd so you can let it rip for the whole lap.

if needed, I'd be willing to go 1st......my only concern is if somehow we end up doing over 20 laps, not sure if I'd have a 6th one in me or not??

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
I am planning on playing a little rock paper scissor to seeee who has the pleasure of starting .... the coffee is starting to kick in ... the stupidity has already begun.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
mcgowanc said:
I am planning on playing a little rock paper scissor to seeee who has the pleasure of starting .... the coffee is starting to kick in ... the stupidity has already begun.
Rest assured that someone will help you locate your bike and hand it to you! :thumb:

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Couple more days and we'll be able to start obsessing over the weather forecast. They haven't had a drop of rain yet this year. It is probably all queued up out over the Pacific somewhere.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was lucky on the first lap last year. I had to fight through major traffic all through the fire road sections seemed to pass the last person right before the singletrack. It would have really sucked if I got stuck in traffic during the singletrack. I normally don't start that hard as it takes me a while to warm up but T-Dog was off like a rocket and I was going crash and burn before I was going to let him pull away.

I don't want to take the race all that seriously but I really don't want to get stuck in traffic on the singletrack. If we could stage earlier and get the cool early bike handoff would be the best situation.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Couple more days and we'll be able to start obsessing over the weather forecast. They haven't had a drop of rain yet this year. It is probably all queued up out over the Pacific somewhere.
I say bring it on, advantage Beast From the East. Can't be much worse than last year and I'll be better prepaired. I want to see all those fair weather pussies drive home early again.

Just kidding, please don't rain.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I say bring it on, advantage Beast From the East. Can't be much worse than last year and I'll be better prepaired. I want to see all those fair weather pussies drive home early again.

My bike will never survive another race like that. It still isn't right.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Echo said:
Rest assured that someone will help you locate your bike and hand it to you! :thumb:
hahahaha well thanks :)) I got my girlfriend's ticket out to Denver so I will have support (YAY) --- this is all new to her .. so should be fun!!

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
ghostrider said:
My bike will never survive another race like that. It still isn't right.
No kidding --- I have a much lighter .. i.e. less tough bike this year - I dont think that carbon rear will like tons of mud and junk .. please please don't rain :))

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:

I survived w/one brake and mud/cow **** in my face last year....this year I'm bringing my fender & extra brake pads so rain or no rain, its all good

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Mud isn't the correct term - it is 'grinding compound'.
I think lapping compound is a more accurate term.
[applies more tape to broken glasses]

Douglas said:
I survived w/one brake and mud/cow **** in my face last year....this year I'm bringing my fender & extra brake pads so rain or no rain, its all good
I'm bringing some full runs of cables for fresh and easy replacement.

I blame last years race for wearing my fork down to a worthless pile of scrap. At least 'Ill have some more spare fork parts for trophy making.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I'm bringing some full runs of cables for fresh and easy replacement.

I blame last years race for wearing my fork down to a worthless pile of scrap. At least 'Ill have some more spare fork parts for trophy making.
I'm bringing my single speed and I'm riding that if the weather goes all to crap. I'm also not mounting up my new chain, rings and cogs on my real bike until I get confirmation of bone dry conditions. Unlike last year when I put all that on before the race.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'll probably bring the parts to convert my bike back to a singlespeed, just in case the whole plan of dominating goes to hell and i decide to do a SS lap for the fun of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
I'll probably bring the parts to convert my bike back to a singlespeed, just in case the whole plan of dominating goes to hell and i decide to do a SS lap for the fun of it.
Plans of domination?

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
I've got a fool proof sabotage plan for ghostrider's bike. Does that count as dominating?
Let's think about this: You were faster than me last year and I'm slower this year than I was last year. Alcoholism and laziness have already sabotaged me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Let's think about this: You were faster than me last year and I'm slower this year than I was last year. Alcoholism and laziness have already sabotaged me.

Your daily rides on Mt Boney haven't gotten you in shape?

Mt. Boney isn't a mountain is it?:blah:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ok, so I'm just going to be a sarcastic doofus. In my past, I've raced in WA state (Eric Eaton's mtb series), and now living around Tahoe, have to deal with all the snow/grime around here. Are you all saying I should stock up on PAM and spray my bike like crazy to help avoid the mud slog (should it happen) or keep the dust off???

Seriously, I'm so stoked about this-- being with family, honoring Alaina, fund raising, and mostly, meeting all of you.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
last year there was a freak rain storm (including hail) that lasted for maybe 20 of the 24 race hours, the mud destroyed brake pads, cables, chains, etc, etc

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
United Bike Vouchers extended through Feb. 28

Colorado Springs, Colo. (Feb. 2, 2006) - The expiration date on the United bike vouchers has been extended to February 28, 2006.

Current United vouchers with the January 31, 2006 expiration date can be used through the month of February. USA Cycling expects to receive new vouchers good through the remainder of the year by the end of February. If you are traveling prior to February 28th and have not received your vouchers, please contact your internal membership coordinator. Any vouchers requested through our on-line system, will be fulfilled after we receive the new shipment of United Vouchers.