Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo 2006

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
douglas said:
you plan to fly in/out of tucson ?

freakin awesome.....when it gets a little closer we'll have to work on some details...save some cash and share/split some car rental & hotel costs
Haven't decided between Tucson and Phoenix. It will depend a lot on price. Usually Phoenix is significantly cheaper.

Haven't picked exact dates yet. What are you guys all thinking? Some will depend on whether or not my wife comes with. If she does, I'm probably looking at a Friday through Thursday type of thing.

I'm leaning towards most of the rides being AFTER the race. Might do an easy spin the day before.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Arriving Friday would be pretty tight. I suppose you could do it if you arrived early on Friday. As I'm sure you know, it takes a while to get set up and ready for the race.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Echo said:
Arriving Friday would be pretty tight. I suppose you could do it if you arrived early on Friday. As I'm sure you know, it takes a while to get set up and ready for the race.
Yeah, like I said, it's dependant on whether or not my wife comes. She has class Thursday night.

If I arrive Friday, it will be AM. And then I can get to the race area pretty easily from either airport.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
well in true chelsea fashion .... I think I am showing up Saturday morning .. maybe friday night. My dad's wedding is Friday - so I can't reallly miss that :)) Nothing like a little excitement right before the race :nuts:

Echo said:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mcgowanc said:
well in true chelsea fashion .... I think I am showing up Saturday morning .. maybe friday night. My dad's wedding is Friday - so I can't reallly miss that :)) Nothing like a little excitement right before the race :nuts:
I'm starting to lean towards you being crazy for going solo! :p

save some time & skip the pre ride plus you'll save all of your energy for the race

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
You already know the course, so not pre-riding shouldn't be a problem for you. Just make sure you get plenty of sleep!
There have been test that show the amount sleep the night before an event has little affect on your performance. It seems that the amount of sleep two nights befor a race is much more important. Since a 24 hour race is basically two days long it is important to get plenty of sleep two nights before a race.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Westy said:
There have been test that show the amount sleep the night before an event has little affect on your performance. It seems that the amount of sleep two nights befor a race is much more important. Since a 24 hour race is basically two days long it is important to get plenty of sleep two nights before a race.
Thats interesting .. I will def try to get plenty of rest. :)
you are doing the race solo right westy?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Did you ever notice that it helps to be young? For example if your under 30 you dont even have to train, you can even train with Budweiser all night. If your between 30-43 you have to train but you can still keep up with the young guys more or less. If your over 44 when you run your night lap you will notice you cant see and everyone you started with is finishing like a half hour before you.:nopity:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Borregokid said:
Did you ever notice that it helps to be young? For example if your under 30 you dont even have to train, you can even train with Budweiser all night. If your between 30-43 you have to train but you can still keep up with the young guys more or less. If your over 44 when you run your night lap you will notice you cant see and everyone you started with is finishing like a half hour before you.:nopity:
The beautiful thing is you can't reach your full endurance potential until your 30's and can maintain it well after that. Of course it still requires years of training. That is how Tinker can still compete in the 24's. Now raw power is for the kiddies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Two months to go. Are there four people in California with the balls to challenge us yet? Have the rest of the East Coasters started their gene doping regimen yet?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Two months to go. Are there four people in California with the balls to challenge us yet? Have the rest of the East Coasters started their gene doping regimen yet?

no, but I did ask santa for some EPO

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Right now it looks like I have convinced my boss to send me to SoCal the week befor the race. So if the west coast monkeys can actually get a team together I can help drag their asses out to Old Pueblo. I'll probably rent a minivan again.

Anyone interested in heading to Jacksons Hole for some powder after the race?

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
Right now it looks like I have convinced my boss to send me to SoCal the week befor the race. So if the west coast monkeys can actually get a team together I can help drag their asses out to Old Pueblo. I'll probably rent a minivan again.

Anyone interested in heading to Jacksons Hole for some powder after the race?
Right now, the West Coast is looking for 2 fast riders.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Right now, the West Coast is looking for 2 fast riders.

We should have taken it a little easier on you guys last year, skeered to come back now.:nopity:

I might be able to recruit a couple of fellow virginians to help out. They are really fast and slightly annoying.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I can't believe ghostrider and T-Dog can't get anyone to race with them. It's not like they aren't fast riders. I suggest a new brand of deodorant.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
I can't believe ghostrider and T-Dog can't get anyone to race with them. It's not like they aren't fast riders. I suggest a new brand of deodorant.
It isn't that we can't find anyone to race with us, just that we can't use the plethora of scantily clad college women that keep turning up, since you dolts signed us up for the sausage party class.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
It isn't that we can't find anyone to race with us, just that we can't use the plethora of scantily clad college women that keep turning up, since you dolts signed us up for the sausage party class.
Bring the scantily clad women for pit support and I'll just run a duo with someone.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:

jesus man, bring them!!

...us east coasters will use them, no problem at all !!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If the West Coast Smelly Monkeys can't get a full team going I'd offer to do a 2 person team with someone and rearrange Beast as a new 4 person team that might include some smelly west coasters. Echo duo??. With unanimous approval from Beast From the East of course.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
If the West Coast Smelly Monkeys can't get a full team going I'd offer to do a 2 person team with someone and rearrange Beast as a new 4 person team that might include some smelly west coasters. Echo duo??. With unanimous approval from Beast From the East of course.
Damn dude. I don't think I could properly prepare for that kind of effort in the winter. I've been working on ~1 hour efforts, riding duo I think I would need to be in a situation where I could log serious road miles. But hey, if that's how it has to go down, what the hell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Damn dude. I don't think I could properly prepare for that kind of effort in the winter. I've been working on ~1 hour efforts, riding duo I think I would need to be in a situation where I could log serious road miles. But hey, if that's how it has to go down, what the hell.
I'm in the same boat. I would plan to have a very chill attitude towards the whole thing, if we were on the course for only 18 or so hours that would be fine by me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
I'm in the same boat. I would plan to have a very chill attitude towards the whole thing, if we were on the course for only 18 or so hours that would be fine by me.
Well let's see what the spankers can come up with. I dunno how Todd is about changing stuff around but he's gotta be more cooperative than Sturat.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Echo said:
Well let's see what the spankers can come up with. I dunno how Todd is about changing stuff around but he's gotta be more cooperative than Sturat.
hmm - I can send out an email to my old team .. and see if any of the guys wanna head down there for the race.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK I'm looking at heading out to Tucson on Thursday, and being back in Rochester the following Wednesday. I might go to California and par-tay down with ghostrider and T-Dog after the race. At this point I'm just waiting to hear the spankers plans. If anyone else was gonna head to CA for some riding, you prolly gotta bum a couch at T-Dog's, I don't think ghostrider can get permission for a full on monkey hangout.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo, are you flying home out of Tucson or Cali?

me: either flying to Tuscon Thursday (or Wednesday being air is $100 less) and flying home Wednesday

I also am VERY interested in either getting picked up, or sharing a rental vehicle