Quantcast

24hrs of Dalton: Plans & Smacktalk

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
I'm blowing off Friday work and heading to dalton early. If anyone wants a ride from MassPike North let me know.

I am a bit concerned about the weather forecast for the race. It's the first week of Summer and we have to deal with high temperatures already. Overnight lows in the mid 50s and daily highs in the low 70s may give an unfair advantage to Non-New Englanders. I'm having Brookline Ice and Coal deliver some custom ice slabs 3'x7'x4" thick for the 4 :monkey: & baboon team to sleep on between laps. That should help to fend of Heat stroke.

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
justbill said:
I'm blowing off Friday work and heading to dalton early. If anyone wants a ride from MassPike North let me know.

I am a bit concerned about the weather forecast for the race. It's the first week of Summer and we have to deal with high temperatures already. Overnight lows in the mid 50s and daily highs in the low 70s may give an unfair advantage to Non-New Englanders. I'm having Brookline Ice and Coal deliver some custom ice slabs 3'x7'x4" thick for the 4 :monkey: & baboon team to sleep on between laps. That should help to fend of Heat stroke.
Coming up from Texas, after looking at the forecast my wife and I started to pack a bunch of our winter clothes. Seriously!!! Mid 50s at night is down right cold!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Chris01 said:
Coming up from Texas, after looking at the forecast my wife and I started to pack a bunch of our winter clothes. Seriously!!! Mid 50s at night is down right cold!!

Yeah, thats not really hot for this NY'er ........I'll pass on the ice......but 50's at night will be nice :thumb:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
:p

In reality, my teammates will get plenty of sleep, but I won't :dead:
Damn, Echo is stepping up and doing the whole night shift all by himself. Probably because he's worried about his habit of leaving his teammates hanging in the tent in the wee hours of the morning.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have been going crazy trying to make sure I don't dehydrate. Then I realized it may be more important to stay warm. If it rains while in the 50's I could freeze to death. I guess I have a few days to eat like a madman and build on that fatty layer of insulation.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Damn, Echo is stepping up and doing the whole night shift all by himself. Probably because he's worried about his habit of leaving his teammates hanging in the tent in the wee hours of the morning.
I'm pretty sure the karma gods will remember that little episode :mumble:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK. After following this thead for 87 months its finally time for me to say good luck and kick some ass!!! All this smack talk and pre-pre-planning should result in a top ten finish... or at least a damn good time. :cool:

Special props to Westy for going solo - thats balls. :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Serial Midget said:
OK. After following this thead for 87 months its finally time for me to say good luck and kick some ass!!! All this smack talk and pre-pre-planning should result in a top ten finish... or at least a damn good time. :cool:

Special props to Westy for going solo - thats balls. :thumb:
what!?

we are really racing?

oh crap!

ps:solo=sick!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
3 days, 3 hours and 21 minutes.

I have a short MTB crit tonight, after that the next time I get on the bike will be for the big show.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
You're not gonna preride with us on Friday?
What time do you guys plan on pre-riding? I am not sure what time I will get there. I feel no need to learn the course but I would like to be able to ride with you guys.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well, YOU guys can have fun preriding, but I am not going to bust my ass to keep up with you. The last thing I want to do is ride hard Friday. I'll preride the course, but I'll be moving at a snail's pace...even slower than I usually go. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Oh trust me, it will be slow. I just wanna see the course, I don't want my first view of the course to be during the race. It will just be a fun ride... anyone who wants to go balls out, I guess we'll catch them back at camp :p

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
Oh trust me, it will be slow. I just wanna see the course, I don't want my first view of the course to be during the race. It will just be a fun ride... anyone who wants to go balls out, I guess we'll catch them back at camp :p

same here.....if someone wants some last minute training, they can tow me up the big climb

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OK, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but where do we keep the baton while riding (there IS a baton, right?)? I was not planning on wearing a Camelbak and some of my jerseys do not have pockets.

:help:

:stupid:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In other races I have done, the baton is actually a little stretchy bracelet thing you can put on your wrist or handlebar.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I dunno how Adrenaline does it, but in Old Pueblo, you actually had a little stick with your number on it, you could stash it in a jersey pocket or in the leg of your shorts, in your camelbak, etc.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
I dunno how Adrenaline does it, but in Old Pueblo, you actually had a little stick with your number on it, you could stash it in a jersey pocket or in the leg of your shorts, in your camelbak, etc.

(tonight) I'll see if I can find out what adenaline uses

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Echo said:
For the love of God, do not stash it in the leg of your shorts unless you plan on wiping it down with wet wipes before you hand it over. :nope: :blah: :dead:

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
OK, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but where do we keep the baton while riding (there IS a baton, right?)? I was not planning on wearing a Camelbak and some of my jerseys do not have pockets.

:help:

:stupid:
YOU WILL BE WEARING YOUR CAMEL BACK !!!

you will need to be carrying , Baton , Tools , Tube , Flash Light and Batteries! and Most importantly of all WATER !!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
That was my plan. Which would mean we would have to do the preride in under an hour so there's enough tape :D
Just sprint ahead of everyone then hit pause when you are waiting for everyone else.