24hrs of Dalton: Plans & Smacktalk

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
I'll Be riding Home made.

25 Watt Halogen on the Helmet , 45 White LED's on the handle bars

Sweet. I strongly considered building my own lights but once I looked at the price of LED's and NiMH batteries I realized I could buy complete lights at the same price.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I am to lazy to search thru the last 35 pages, so here is my question........

People who have ridden the course, what is the terrain like? rocky? rooty?

Reason I am asking is that matty is in need of figuring out what bike to race on. Would he get beat up on a hardtail?

His choices at the moment:
1. Cannondale Jekyll-kind of heavy and has a crack in the frame.

2. Kona Cowan- Hardtail can be built fairly light.

3. Santa Cruz Heckler- Not here yet but if it shows up in time I will build it up light as I can for matty.

4. Steal one of the other teams bikes :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was wondering what kind of tires to run. I am just assuming that there will be healthy amounts of rocks, roots and mud. If somehow things are acutaly dry, sandy and smooth I need to change my tires.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
Just curious to find out what kind of light everyone will be using.

I have managed to borrow some nice lights from friends so I will be burning some Niterider HID systems on both my helmet and handlebar. Anyone riding in front of me will risk getting sunburn at night.

The borrowed lights free up some of the light systems I normally use. If anyone needs some lights I will offer to lend on of these halogen systems with a spare battery.

Performance Light System

At 20watts it lasts over two hours, a really nice system, but it can't touch an HID setup.
Yeah, I am showing up for the race lightless, so I'll mooch from anyone. I think Splat is bringing another set for me though.

Free beer to whoever sets me up with lights next weekend. :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, I am showing up for the race lightless, so I'll mooch from anyone. I think Splat is bringing another set for me though.

Free beer to whoever sets me up with lights next weekend. :monkey:
For free beer I will lend you my second backup light system. It will give you 2 hours at 20 watts and 1.5 at 30 watts.

Most of these things require some kind of tail-light. A cheap solution is to just tape a glow stick to your seatpost.

This makes me think we need to have a fastest NIGHT lap contest too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Most of these things require some kind of tail-light. A cheap solution is to just tape a glow stick to your seatpost.
Those flashing red LED's are super cheap. If you all figure out how many are needed, I'll bring a bunch. My gift to the monkeys.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
For those looking for lights...

For all of the races I have done, I've used Jet Lites rental program. For 40 bucks, they send you a 20 watt halogen light, along with 2 batteries and a rapid charger. It also includes the return postage. It has worked out great for me, and I'm using it again for this race. www.jetlites.com

So, I'll be using my own NiteRider on my handlebar, and the Jet Lite on my helmet. Two lights are MUCH better than one for these races.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
course:
very similar to last year...

I didnt do the 24 last year but I did ride the course once
What I remember

single track has some roots/rocks/bridges - nothing too technical
a long but not steep climb (fire road) into
a fast/long singletrack DH section
a short field section/short flat dirt road section near start/finish
everything is ridable

about 9 miles

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Echo said:
I'll be running HID on my helmet and halogen on my handlebar. Definitely bring as many lights as you can, it's better to have extras than not enough. :)
Same system I run! HID washes out the trail a little, the halogen brings it back.

From last year, the trail is a little more rooty than rocky but not extreme in either manner.

Tires: Last year I ran Pythons at 28 - 30psi. Worked out fine.

As far as bike selection, last year I used my FS Razorback, this year I will be on my Trek 9.8 hardtail. Note: I am from Texas, so for me this trail has a lot more climbing than I am used to, for you guys it will be no big deal.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
douglas said:
course:
very similar to last year...

I didnt do the 24 last year but I did ride the course once
What I remember

single track has some roots/rocks/bridges - nothing too technical
a long but not steep climb (fire road) into
a fast/long singletrack DH section
a short field section/short flat dirt road section near start/finish
everything is ridable

about 9 miles
Based on this info, and according to my calculations, we should plan on day lap times of around 50 minutes to maybe 1:05. That means lots of laps. Any thoughts from those who have actually been there?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Hi guys,

The race is already next weekend :eek:

We can`t wait to see all of you guys again.

I just read that we can`t move in on Thursday night, anyone are planning to be in the area on Thursday and if so where are you staying?

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Deyv said:
Hi guys,

I just read that we can`t move in on Thursday night, anyone are planning to be in the area on Thursday and if so where are you staying?

I don't know about echo and crew, but Matty, greasey monkey and me will be heading out early friday morning. At least I think we will :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Next weekend will provide 24 hours of bike riding and 16 hours of driving. I will be lucky to make it up there before 5:00.

I still have not figured out how I am going to drive home, chances are I'll be a tad sleepy.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
Based on this info, and according to my calculations, we should plan on day lap times of around 50 minutes to maybe 1:05. That means lots of laps. Any thoughts from those who have actually been there?

a few of the fast dudes (i.e Kitt Flag) that race there every week, can do the course in 42/43 minutes...........but I know of some people that took 2 hours

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Deyv said:
Hi guys,

You're welcome to crash at our place :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Instigator said:
I am to lazy to search thru the last 35 pages, so here is my question........

People who have ridden the course, what is the terrain like? rocky? rooty?

Reason I am asking is that matty is in need of figuring out what bike to race on. Would he get beat up on a hardtail?

His choices at the moment:
1. Cannondale Jekyll-kind of heavy and has a crack in the frame.

2. Kona Cowan- Hardtail can be built fairly light.

3. Santa Cruz Heckler- Not here yet but if it shows up in time I will build it up light as I can for matty.

4. Steal one of the other teams bikes :D
Heckler = :drool:
I like the idea of stealing one of the other team bikes! :devil:

If he's worried about the Jekyll & the Heckler doesn't get there, we can lighten up my Disco Monkey and he can run it?!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
douglas said:
guess what/where I road today?? :D :devil: :eviltongu

ok, so the course is totally different then last year
it's so easy!!
lap times, maybe 30-40 minutes

barely any climbs
just fast & easy
and super dry (I might even run slicks)

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
douglas said:
ok, so the course is totally different then last year
it's so easy!!
lap times, maybe 30-40 minutes

barely any climbs
just fast & easy
and super dry (I might even run slicks)
Douglas, are you kidding or not? Why would they do that?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
Ha, doesn't matter if he's kidding or not, if the course is like that we'll all just be running double shifts...
WOO HOO double shifts!!! :dancing:

I finally got out my XC bike from the mom-in-law's basement today. It's a lean, mean 26lbs. :love: I think I'll take her out for a spin after work tomorrow. I have not ridden that bike in two years. :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
good luck to everyone going. if ya get some spare time, the IF boys will be out there with some of the guys from Seven. you should stop by and say hello and check out some stuff they'll have in there.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
from holiday farms website

Updated Monday, June 21 at 11:20am:

The 24 Hours of Adrenalin in here! the crew showed up last night and the farm is buzzing with activity. the big race is this weekend, June 26&27. It is not too late to register a team if you have not already.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Echo said:
OK no more smacktalk about the course, since ghostrider already shipped his bike :p
Do you still need that torch so you can make those modifications to his bike? Let me know I can drop them off tonight.....

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
I found this picture on the Holiday Farms web site. What is that weird looking stuff coming off his tire?? I've never seen anything like that before.
the chickens/ducks/roosters had diarrhea that week, the result a unique course obstacle

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
Dammit, I haven't been practicing my duck hopping skillz. I'm screwed. That NE riding is so different to what we have out here.

uh oh.......there is a 5 minute time penalty for killing any farm animals