Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Avy. Shandro is/was barely known over here.
Didn't I mention the frame was a Session 10 all those weeks back?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Trek Diesel. High pivot with pulley, 10.5x3.5" shock, frame weight measured in stone to save page space.
Back when those were still around our group of riders all got skooled on every climb on an 15mile XC ride by an invited along mate of a mate. He brought the wrong bike thinking we'd be riding DH and just ride it regardless. It weighed 52lb and had a 42t ring and a 11-25 cassette.
Humbling day.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
figures....

maybe y'all will believe a lot of what some of us have been saying when steve says it

clutch derailleur discussion starts around 11:50

he also goes through the pk difference in rolling vs static rear wheel at the beginning

also addresses braking which westy's demo doesn't account for

With all of the above amounting to an expensive product that may kinda sorta partially address an extremely low percentage of scenarios that occur in reality, especially if you know how to use your brakes, and will make climbing up or pedaling over super rough stuff compromised in more common scenarios

comments.JPG

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's a little window into how people who sell bike shit think this whole community works: get a fast person on your new little gadget and nothing else matters. Yes that annoys the hell out of me.
Why let it bother you so much when you're not dumb/naive enough to fall for it yourself?
Substitute "fast person" for "well known accomplished professional partaker" and that's the exact same strategy every "sport" sells it's gear to amateurs and hobbyist by

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why let it bother you so much when you're not dumb enough to fall for it?
Substitute "fast person" for "well known accomplished professional partaker" and that's the exact same strategy every "sport" sells it's gear to amateurs and hobbyist by
Several reasons. I don't like when people misrepresent reality to sell useless shit. To me rolling around in the woods on one of mankind's most elegant and simple machines is a way to get away from all that crap. I don't like that this entire industry preys on people's lack of knowledge and even gullibility, now simply refreshed with every new generation who doesn't know this is how bikes are primarily sold these days when most of them all work pretty damn well. A reminder that I'm not even the one who came up with all the lizard jokes to poke fun at this exact phenomenon.....

For all the self congratulatory 'human powered' and environmentally sound perceptions of what riding a bicycle is, this is one of the most wasteful industries I've ever participated in. I'd say it's actually THE most. Unneeded widgets are a huge part of that, along with needlessly changing standards every two years just to get people to buy new shit they don't need.

Plus I know and respect buckow. So when he says I just need to ride a dh bike on world cup dh tracks to understand the appeal of the next widget, he should know better than to fall into that trap. I'd much rather hear HIS opinions on something than "check out that racer on it, it obviously works because you know.....reasons"

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Man...
I get that it saddens you when friends fall for it but honestly don't get why the bike industry doing it annoys you so much when the world is litterally full of lies to sell shit. but worse still lies to take from the most in need.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Man...
I get that it saddens you when friends fall for it but honestly don't get why the bike industry doing it annoys you so much when the world is litterally full of lies to sell shit. but worse still lies to take from the most in need.
Don't think I don't rail on that shit too. ;)

A lot of what I'd consider the bad bits of the mtb industry I used to be able to ignore and escape. Of the last handful of frames I've bought over the last 10 years each and every one of them I had to get a new wheel or wheels for, a new BB, some stupid crank shit, none of it because of any functional improvement in design (some of it backwards even), but rather because some asshole in an office decided this was a way to get an appreciable part of the bike population to buy something new they wouldn't otherwise 'need'. That combined with the imba brain takeover of trail construction here neutering anything that was legit, fun, rowdy riding and I just got squeezed out of something I used to genuinely love, but just kept getting more and more annoyed with. With increasing popularity, this sport just got a lot more predatory on it's users. Anyway, I'm mostly done with it. Y'all can have it. With the demise of GG, there's not a single company out there I ever want to give money to again.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In that case just keep hold of an old bike you know works well from your favourite era. Take it out from time to time and enjoy riding for what it is. component wise there's still nothing you can't get hold of to keep older bikes running (usually a lot cheaper). Surely it's not that difficult to ignore fashion?
You know fine I don't really buy into new new shiny shiny at all... and when out riding I've always prefered seeing pinners on old bikes than all the gear crowd chatting shit about the latest/next gimmick. So long as they're happy and I'm happy nothing else really matters.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In that case just keep hold of an old bike you know works well from your favourite era. Take it out from time to time and enjoy riding for what it is.
that's the plan

doesn't help the local mtb club keeps fucking up trails however....

I can't slave over a mcleod for hours to build what I want to ride any more.

I'm enjoying running over endurobros all with the same moustache and pit vipers, as well as the sierra club douches while riding my dirbike too much at the moment.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn dude. They/we can keep trying, but no amount of lizardry and trail fuckery will keep me off bikes.
You know I'm a picky motherfucker :D

You remember that trail I was building that y'all came out to and hung out for a bit? I got a few days help from two other people but I built that whole thing myself. I get yelled at by people on mtbs when I ride my dirtbike up it, explaining to me who built that trail and why it was built for them. :rofl:

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nice. It's one thing to be ignorant as to what it takes to build a trail (like most people out there), quite another to claim it as someone else's work. Next level douchebaggery right there.

Anyway, stay gold Ponywooboy, stay gold. :-)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I did not dive enough in the ochain thing to build an opinion around it, but I swear that when I switched my 30t chainring for a 28t, while replacing the 18t by a 36t ratchet in my DT 350, I did not notice any pedal kickback anymore. It was not super noticeable, but I thought it would be the opposite. If anyone knows why and cares to explain, I'm curious to why. Bike is a Meta AM '20.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
@Avy. Shandro is/was barely known over here.
Didn't I mention the frame was a Session 10 all those weeks back?
Roger that Brother. He was big here IMHO, but not that Frame. I never seen one. My fault on the 10 comment,did not see it? That Frame to me,is one of the Heviest Looking frames of All time.

Another wonderful memory I have of Shandro is a video he did way back. I cannot remember the Name? However,the scene in the video is this: Andrew gets up early in the am and walks out to the porch to look at the mountain. Does not look good,grey with black in the clouds. Phone in hand,Wade says good morning to him. Wana go for a ride? My next memory is of them starting the ride with my favorite SRV in the backround. Has tobe top 5 for Avy.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Andrew gets up early in the am and walks out to the porch to look at the mountain. Does not look good,grey with black in the clouds. Phone in hand,Wade says good morning to him. Wana go for a ride? My next memory is of them starting the ride with my favorite SRV in the backround. Has tobe top 5 for Avy.
Before he became the internationally famous DH pundit a young Ben Cathro made a similar parody video only he woke up next to a bottle of vodka. Dunno if it'll still exist on his old youtube account. But it definitely should. #neverbeashamedofyourroots.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
You guys can keep your O-CHAIN devices, I'm working on an evolved version called P-CHAIN™. Can't say much but it's going to be awesome.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I won't tell you about Q-Z chain I've already built then.

I did that so that you run out of letters and have nothing left to sell.
well you could run two p-chains with the o-chain and get the o-p-p chain effect. YOU DOWN WITH OPP?

and i believe that the proper way to carry drinks, as tested by me during a local urban goon ride years ago is the whiskey bottle in the cage and the imperial stoutlebak on your back...

in fact, my current avatar pic was taken at the end of that day. look how much winning is occurring!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Ran the o-chain bike (Speshy Enduro) at Purgatory and some rough surrounding trails this weekend.

Purg is blown all to hell right now and whatever it does the o-chain does something good in the high speed chunky stuff. The bike feels smooth and fast there. Very confidence inspiring.

Here is some data acquisition o-chain testing (not mine) as well for the non-believers.
Slightly higher tech than bouncing the old XC bike on a trainer. :p

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Here is some data acquisition o-chain testing (not mine) as well for the non-believers.
It's important to remember that this case study is specific to the bike I tested on (modified Commencal Supreme V4),

Anything unusual about that particular bike? :rofl:

Congratulations. They've damped chain slap. Which on a 20 ft chain, I'm sure gets to be pretty significant.