Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The Michelin rep at MSA world champs said they were eventually discontinuing them in the future....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Michelin rep at MSA world champs said they were eventually discontinuing them in the future....
Seems a nice place to remind everyone that this is the company that made the first legitimate sticky compound tires in the early 2000s that just for some reason decided they were going to quit making that shit in the mid 2000s.

Can't trust them bitches. They do brilliance about once every 10 years and then blow it.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
So, a little update/interim review on Michelin DH34 Bike Park tire....

It was kinda bitch to get the bead seated on my rim (DT FR570), but after it was done, it's been holding air well.

I am satisfied with how the tire rides. Braking is pretty good, on par with DHR2 - it may actually be slightly better on loose soil. Doesn't hold the edge as well when leaned over I don't think... but that makes it kinda fun to ride - on loose surface, I get a slight one-wheel drift when I power-wheelie out of tight turns.

I spent 1.5 day at Silver Mountain Resort in Idaho a couple weeks ago - dirt mixed with surprising amount of rocks for northwest. No flat, though I don't think I had any hard hit with audible ping from the rim. I was pushing myself more than usual, trying to follow a 17-year old sponsored downhill skier, my buddy Beardo and an equally-fast guy from Bellingham. At 28 psi, the tire felt fine railing big berms fast enough to drift a bit.

This is how it looks after roughly 180 miles (155 miles logged on strava plus some undocumented activities) over mixed terrain.
IMG_4717.jpg

The tire rides pefectly fine at the moment, but I don't think it has another 100 miles left in it. At this kind of wear rate, I might as well run a 3C DHR2.

I'm not a racer, and "fun" to me is hitting bonus lines and side features rather than going plaid down a fall line. And I'm cheap. So durability/longevity is my #1 priority for the rear tire, followed by braking and cornering bite.

I had a pretty good result with a Rock'r 2 Gum-x back when I was still riding my old 26" bike and I had high hopes for this tire, but it came up short. At least all the edge knobs are still intact, unlike the Wild Enduro Magi-x I tried a couple years ago (few knobs completely separated from the casing in under 80 miles, used up front).

I was hoping this tire could replace my go-to rear tire (62A DH-case DHR2), which Maxxis sadly discontinued this year. Hopefully my stash lasts until I find a suitable replacement.
IMG_4623.JPG

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Still no progress in selecting a Winter tire (for wetter/muddier conditions), however I did get around to installing my DHR2 2.4" WT DD Maxx Terra (bought a couple of months ago). Holy crap what an difference. My 2.4" Exo Dual Comp was getting tired but I was keeping it on for as long as possible and knowing I was still doing a fair amount of hardpack riding till Winter really started to kick in.
First ride I didn't manage to wear off any factory surface coating before hitting the trails, which were littered with puddles, roots and rocks and muddy in patches (not complete slop yet). The rear was incredibly composed and heaps of grip. I have been doing a lot of research trying to choose a front tire, so now familiar with the effects of casing and compound on grip AND damping, and this ties in with what I experienced. Went out for a local ride yesterday on a hardpack loop and the rear wouldn't break lose in corners that I would normally drift quite easily, even when squaring them off. With the rear wheel no long sliding out like I am used to, I started to notice how on the edge my DHF 2.5 EXO Maxx Terra was, to the point it was sliding in a way I was not overly happy with (now).
The side knobs on my current DHF have been looking a little tired, with a fair bit of undercutting all round, so I picked up an EXO Maxx Grip a month ago to install for Winter. Having done a lot of reading it seems the DHR2 is actually a good option to address the vagueness that can be felt when transitioning from center to side knobs on the DHF, together with improved braking and also seems to shed mud better. I did try a DHR2 up front on one of my 26" builds a few years ago, but don't recall the pros and cons. Considering this option again as I still need an all round trail tire that is lighter and rolls better than the Assegai/Shorty/Mary, and where trails will be predominantly hardpack. Unfortunately the DHR2 only comes in 2.4" and not 2.5".

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
The side knobs on my current DHF have been looking a little tired, with a fair bit of undercutting all round, so I picked up an EXO Maxx Grip a month ago to install for Winter.
I have the DHF Exo Maxxterra on the front. But same tire but in Maxx grip and put it on the front. I found an extremely noticeable improvement in slicker conditions. With the Maxxterra I felt really timid riding when it was slick, I never knew when it was going to give out on me. I think in dry conditions the Maxxterra probably is better but this year dry is very rare.

I moved the DHF Maxxterra to the rear which helped a lot over the previous tire. DHR sounds like it should be my first choice but I already had the DHF.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Got sick of thinking about what Winter tire to get, and everyone is raving about the Assegai DD Maxx Grip so just ordered one. If I do end up riding trails that the Assegai cannot handle then I will order a Shorty or other.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Got sick of thinking about what Winter tire to get, and everyone is raving about the Assegai DD Maxx Grip so just ordered one. If I do end up riding trails that the Assegai cannot handle then I will order a Shorty or other.
Assegai packs up in clay mud. I like it for anything else

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Need some more help with tire choice, but for my newly built hardtail. I will only be riding my local loop and BMX tracks, where surface conditions are hardback. Was planning on an Aggressor rear, with DHR2 front. The DHR will be over kill but it will probably be my Summer tire of choice for the Bronson next year, so I my intention was to have some familiarity between bikes, and have some options to move tires between bikes.

Maxxis sizing is a bit odd between models though. The DHR2 comes in 2.4, but the DHF, Aggressor, Assegai etc come in 2.3 and 2.5. The 2.5 WT DHF that I am finishing off is a bit of a balloon, and if the 2.5 Agressor is the same size/volume then it wouldn’t make for a good match with a 2.4 DHR on the front. I have no idea what the 2.3 Agressor looks like but I am running 30mm rims which may need to be considered.

So, do I need to need to looking at a 2.3 or 2.5 Aggressor for the rear. And, would an Aggressor perform well on the front, or is there another/better option you would recommend? A fast rolling tire would be great but priority is cornering grip. There are a number of corners on my local loop that you can hit hard and fast but you have to be confident the front won’t wash out.

I really need to expand my tire experience. Other than the newly acquired Assegai I have been stuck on DHFs and DHR2s for years.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Do not put the Aggressor in front.

The 2.5WT aggressor has OK sized side knobs if you’d like a semi-fast rolling rear, whereas the 2.3 doesn’t and is generally considered a sub-par tire.

You should consider a Minion SS for the rear too.

I agree the tire sizing is odd... 2.5WT DHF is noticeably larger than a 2.5WT Assegai.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Why not just go with dual DHR2? I'm done messing around with any other combo. I've thought of going 2.5 DHF for the front, but it just seems overkill. I don't find the DHR2 gives up that much on rolling resistance, but it makes up for it in braking, so I'll take it.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Aggressor.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Aggressors not getting a lot of love eh?

Went down to the new lbs which looks rad. They had a couple of bikes with Aggressors on the back, but only 29" x 2.5". Is it just me or do 29" x 2.5" tires look like they have a lot less volume than a 27.5". I have noticed this across a number of Maxxis tires; and on video footage.

@slyfink - thinking a benefit in rolling speed would suit this bike. I have only been riding a DHR2 in the rear for a while and its all I know now. I cant complain so maybe its not that bad. Hell I just through an Assegai Maxx Grip in the front off the Bronson and did not feel like it was an issue, when everyone else comments about it being slow rolling. I think it might be that I just cruise up hill now days, or I hike a bike if I am sessioning specific trails. As soon as the trail starts pointing down none of my current tires feel "slow", but there is a lot of sprinting on the local loop and a steady climb to get there. I expect the hardtail will continue to get DHR2s off the Bronson. Just need to get 1 DHR2 for now. Thanks for the consultation and a check is in the post:thank:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I don't get along with the Aggressor. I use an SE4 with the Assegai if dry and a lot of hardback. DHR2 elsewhere. Wish the Dissector came in DD.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
On the trailbike I'm running a 2.4 DHR2 up front and a 2.4 Dissector in back.
I'm "lucky" though as my local stuff is tight and twisty so slower speeds and I have to deal with roots, but not rock, so can get away with EXO.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Happily use a DC aggressor here as a rear tyre. The 3C Dissector we put on wife's trail bike a while back is definitely wearing a lot faster.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Aggressors not getting a lot of love eh?

Went down to the new lbs which looks rad. They had a couple of bikes with Aggressors on the back, but only 29" x 2.5". Is it just me or do 29" x 2.5" tires look like they have a lot less volume than a 27.5". I have noticed this across a number of Maxxis tires; and on video footage.

@slyfink - thinking a benefit in rolling speed would suit this bike. I have only been riding a DHR2 in the rear for a while and its all I know now. I cant complain so maybe its not that bad. Hell I just through an Assegai Maxx Grip in the front off the Bronson and did not feel like it was an issue, when everyone else comments about it being slow rolling. I think it might be that I just cruise up hill now days, or I hike a bike if I am sessioning specific trails. As soon as the trail starts pointing down none of my current tires feel "slow", but there is a lot of sprinting on the local loop and a steady climb to get there. I expect the hardtail will continue to get DHR2s off the Bronson. Just need to get 1 DHR2 for now. Thanks for the consultation and a check is in the post:thank:
Big fan of the 2.5 aggressor for a fast rolling rear tire with enough meat to ride hardpack. I run it on my trail bike with an assguy up front. For your described use, local loop and BMX track, I think it would be a good fit. The 2.3 has smaller knobs and is less versatile so especially with your 30mm rims I'd go 2.5. If you require tons of braking traction or deep penetration for loam, mud, etc then I would look elsewhere--a DHR2 would be a good compromise of rolling speed and other features.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Currently have a Exo MaxxTerra DHR2 on the front of the trailbike.
I would like a bit more bite on the ever present roots and some off camber sections.

Two choices - DHR2 in MaxxGrip or Assegai in MaxxTerra(MG not available in Exo).

My gut says rubber over pattern in this case. I'm also thinking that the DHR2 may be faster even with the grippier rubber. I am familiar with both as a front tire. Not a fan of the DHF for the local slow tight trails. I end up riding in the channel too much which gets pretty sketchy when its roots, sandy-clay and wet leaves.

On track or out to lunch?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
There's an EXO+ MG Assegai now. It hardly weighs more than the EXO (mine was 1130g, actually lighter than my last EXO MT one (1160)). So no reason not to run that if you can find it and like the Assegai pattern.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
My gut says rubber over pattern in this case.
I have no experience with either tire. However I have an Exo DHF in both Maxxterra and Maxxgrip that I have run on the front. I find the Maxxgrip noticeably better on roots, rocks and general wet conditions. The Maxxgrip hasn't been taken off.

Personally I think within the options the Maxxgrip compound is more important than than the tread pattern so I would pick the DHR Maxxgrip.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Question for the monkeys... Is anyone still cutting tread on DHR2s to run as a front tyre? If so... anyone tried the Schwalbe cutter? It looks good for depth cuts, but not sure about it for opening up the channels, a la @kidwoo 's review from years back.

Backstory: I usually run dual ply 26 DHFs, but they're suddenly very hard to get. I'm looking for a replacement for use on dry, rocky and dusty trails in Oz. The german sites have DHR2s for cheap, and as a bonus, that Schwalbe cutter is also pretty cheap.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have no experience with either tire. However I have an Exo DHF in both Maxxterra and Maxxgrip that I have run on the front. I find the Maxxgrip noticeably better on roots, rocks and general wet conditions. The Maxxgrip hasn't been taken off.

Personally I think within the options the Maxxgrip compound is more important than than the tread pattern so I would pick the DHR Maxxgrip.
I find the Assegai better than the DHR2 better for off camber roots. MG for both. But DHR2 rolls a little better.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Question for the monkeys... Is anyone still cutting tread on DHR2s to run as a front tyre? If so... anyone tried the Schwalbe cutter? It looks good for depth cuts, but not sure about it for opening up the channels, a la @kidwoo 's review from years back.

Backstory: I usually run dual ply 26 DHFs, but they're suddenly very hard to get. I'm looking for a replacement for use on dry, rocky and dusty trails in Oz. The german sites have DHR2s for cheap, and as a bonus, that Schwalbe cutter is also pretty cheap.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers!
Still do occasionally. Usually I can find a bontrager g4 and forgetabattit. It does work but cutting tires is annoying.

The schwalbe thing is just end cutters. You can buy those at a hardware store. A new razor blade and a spray bottle of some soapy water goes quick for actual trimming. End cutters for just completely removing knobs is good.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I still dislike the 2.3 DHR2 in the rear. It does nothing really well and its traction sucks on my trails. Minion SS FTW.
I really rated the 2.3 DHR2s when I ran them a few months. Longevity wasn't great though. Currently trying out a Dissector which has been great in our current trail conditions (gravel, dust and rock).

Anyone got their mitts on the new Schwalbe Big Betty yet?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone got their mitts on the new Schwalbe Big Betty yet?
Yeah. Rolls pretty well, brakes okay-ish, corners fine for a rear tire. Wouldn't run one up front.

The new Super Trail casing is less than 50g lighter than Super Gravity, so that's sweet.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Speaking of 29”. Is the volume of a comparative Maxxis tire lower than for 27.5”? Not sure if it’s just an optical illusion but 29 x 2.5” tires look like 2.3” on a 27.5”.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Speaking of 29”. Is the volume of a comparative Maxxis tire lower than for 27.5”? Not sure if it’s just an optical illusion but 29 x 2.5” tires look like 2.3” on a 27.5”.
Just measured 2.4 DHRs in both wheel sizes, both mounted on 30mm rims. They're within 0.5mm on both tread and casing width.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah I was talking volume. Are they the same height? I was looking at 29er at the lbs but from the side at eye level. As I said it could be an optical thing. Maybe due to the larger wheel size.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They're right on 2.4" The whole thing about Maxxis running skinny isn't really true anymore either.
The 26" DHF stuff is all over the place, some still pretty tiny, ie a 2.35 at 52mm, a 2.3 at 58, and a 2.5 at 55, and yet another 2.5 at todays normal of 63. :twitch: