Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Beaches and waterfront parks on the side of Lake Simcoe (huge lake...) where I live are all still closed.

On the other side of the lake, they've been open for a few weeks now. But, sounds like they are going to get shut down again due to idiots packing onto them. Dumbasses....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Couple notes of note from my Wife's school board meeting last night.

The State has frozen funding at last year's levels, which is slightly better than a cut, but in her school's case it's effectively a cut due to an increase in student population. There is however in increase to funding for Special Education, our Govenor has children in Special Education, and those two facts are probably unrelated.

The administration is flying blind and making it up as they go, which is unsurprising as they've received no guidance from the city, county, or State level, only a vague threat that they'll be shut down for 14 days if anybody on campus tests positive. They would be required to maintain the same classroom minutes if they move off campus, so even a day delay to get everybody back up and running costs the school thousands of dollars in attendance funding, and on the back end thousands of dollars in teacher's pay when they have to make it up later. That being the case they're hedging their bets and running at least the first 5 weeks 100% remote, hoping that that rule will be changed, clarified, or the probability of it happening will drop.

They're in a state of chaos trying to figure out what to cut and where so that they can provide child care for teachers so that they don't lose half their staff if the elementary and middle schools don't open, and how to pay for extra janitorial staff to clean everything every night, but it's looking like cutting all sports may be necessary anyway, so that frees up some cash.

They surveyed the parents to see who wanted what, no point in opening school if nobody shows up, or keeping school closed if everybody needs their kids to attend in-person. 85% of parents who responded said they'd have their kids on campus no matter what the rules/restrictions were. 30% preferred a mixed on/off campus concept, and 45% preferred a 100% on-campus curriculum. Of note is that it was mostly middle class and wealthy parents responding, very few of their low income parents responded, presumably because they were working, and they're operating under the assumption that they'd also like their kids on campus as they all benefit from one or more programs like free lunch, tutoring, counseling etc.

Today's NY Times podcast was also enlightening/frustrating/ in regards to asymptomatic spread and general leadership dumbfuckery. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYWlseQ/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL2J1QzZiQ2E2SFlZalJRVkVjalJNTXd1TFBueHNuNWNBa09YOTFNZWxMaWs?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi8k7bk3MDqAhVSoFsKHUaQBsYQjrkEegQIEBAE&ep=6

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Couple notes of note from my Wife's school board meeting last night.

The State has frozen funding at last year's levels, which is slightly better than a cut, but in her school's case it's effectively a cut due to an increase in student population. There is however in increase to funding for Special Education, our Govenor has children in Special Education, and those two facts are probably unrelated.

The administration is flying blind and making it up as they go, which is unsurprising as they've received no guidance from the city, county, or State level, only a vague threat that they'll be shut down for 14 days if anybody on campus tests positive. They would be required to maintain the same classroom minutes if they move off campus, so even a day delay to get everybody back up and running costs the school thousands of dollars in attendance funding, and on the back end thousands of dollars in teacher's pay when they have to make it up later. That being the case they're hedging their bets and running at least the first 5 weeks 100% remote, hoping that that rule will be changed, clarified, or the probability of it happening will drop.

They're in a state of chaos trying to figure out what to cut and where so that they can provide child care for teachers so that they don't lose half their staff if the elementary and middle schools don't open, and how to pay for extra janitorial staff to clean everything every night, but it's looking like cutting all sports may be necessary anyway, so that frees up some cash.

They surveyed the parents to see who wanted what, no point in opening school if nobody shows up, or keeping school closed if everybody needs their kids to attend in-person. 85% of parents who responded said they'd have their kids on campus no matter what the rules/restrictions were. 30% preferred a mixed on/off campus concept, and 45% preferred a 100% on-campus curriculum. Of note is that it was mostly middle class and wealthy parents responding, very few of their low income parents responded, presumably because they were working, and they're operating under the assumption that they'd also like their kids on campus as they all benefit from one or more programs like free lunch, tutoring, counseling etc.

Today's NY Times podcast was also enlightening/frustrating/ in regards to asymptomatic spread and general leadership dumbfuckery. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYWlseQ/episode/Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL2J1QzZiQ2E2SFlZalJRVkVjalJNTXd1TFBueHNuNWNBa09YOTFNZWxMaWs?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi8k7bk3MDqAhVSoFsKHUaQBsYQjrkEegQIEBAE&ep=6
just curious, what state are you located in?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
thinking out loud... could the WORLD use the collected swab around the globe to match DNA for unsolved murders or b-lining stravassholes...?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I feel for all the parent monkeys. Would not want to be in your position. Seems pretty clear that an administration that is okay with separating immigrant families and putting kids in cages is probably not the best to make decisions about your child’s future.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yesterday, when Kayleigh McEnney was walking away from WH reporters, a reporter yelled to her, "if kids are safe to go to school, is it safe enough for Manafort to go back to jail?"

:rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Kind of wondering how or if I'll ever get to see my family in Canadia or Yurp ever again the way Murica is winning at this covids...

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I felt absolutely fine throughout the end of May/June other than yep, this weird itchy dry cough.

I've been sleeping like 10+hrs a day just feeling zapped. My face keeps going numb. For some reason I felt like I was having a heart attack one day last week and for about 30 minutes my oxymeter was giving me 80-88%.

It kind of started after I went for kind of an ass kicker of a bike ride two sundays ago. I've never felt like I was going to black out on a bike ride but did for some reason. I haven't felt right since then.
Damn dude, that’s scary. Hope it is just a little nothing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Kind of wondering how or if I'll ever get to see my family in Canadia or Yurp ever again the way Murican is winning at this covids...
My gpa is late-80's and not super healthy. I doubt I'll see him again. My mom doesn't know if she'll be able to go back if he gets sick. It's one of those things that has caused some wavering of my Dad's unwavering Trump support. Our cases are bad enough that the rest of the world won't let us in, so maybe it's not all political... But he gets angry being told he has to wear a mask. God, I fucking hate what Fox "News" has done to this country.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Ugh.....my Dad and Mom just flew and visited my brother in NM. Without going into detail, it was for them a necessary risk. Connecting flight was in Dallas on both outgoing and return flight....They returned late Monday. Dad has developed a slight congestion with a scratchy throat today.....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I had
Ugh.....my Dad and Mom just flew and visited my brother in NM. Without going into detail, it was for them a necessary risk. Connecting flight was in Dallas on both outgoing and return flight....They returned late Monday. Dad has developed a slight congestion with a scratchy throat today.....
Are people in planes using masks and keep distance/reduced occupancy?