Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As long as it's not like that one drug that makes your perenium rot out as a potential side effect that keeps being advertised, diabeetus related I think...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My wife never ended up getting sick after being coughed on, so apparently masks work. Huh, who knew? She got her second dose on Wednesday morning and only had muscle aches that started about 12 hours after. Of all the people that got their second dose on Wednesday the symptoms ranged from nothing to 24 hours of flu like symptoms. Nothing that kept anyone from going in the next day. The interesting thing (I think) is that as far as she can tell from talking with people the only ones who had symptoms were the ones that got the Moderna shot. Nobody who got the Pfizer had any symptoms. Is that what the Monkey consensus is as well @eric strt6, @Toshi, @scrublover? I wouldn't hesitate to get either one, but an interesting observation.
My informal census says yes. I ended up with the Moderna so I am expecting side effects, but I wasn't going to drive 5-6 hours round trip to get the Pfizer. Glad the Mrs. got hers too! I have been exposed and am vigiliant about sanitizing and mask wearing so I have been good thus far but will feel better after my 2nd dose kicks in.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Addison County's daily new cases finally dropped from 53/100,000 to 29. It seems that our gift from Victory Baptist Ministries (110 cases of COVID-19 at last count) is finally abating. Now if we can get back to our prior level of about 3...
Lucky! We've been pretty sheltered in our little town until the Thanksgiving/Christmas aftermath. We went from a combined 9 active cases to over 100 in town and another 70 in the village. It's ok though....we are still going to school each day because none of the 159 we randomly tested came back positive (even though it's less than 10% of our students and staff). We shall see how long this lasts.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The website for vaccine appointments would open and close before I could make one for my 82 year old mom a few times. A few days ago I saw that they would be open at 5:00pm, and logged on in time to secure one. Now she is getting scared and might back out. Ughhhh!!!!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My Aunt, on my father's side, is not going to get the vaccine because it is, according to the Bible, the mark of the beast. She is over 70, morbidly obese, and now gets around in a wheelchair. :banghead:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
alternate headline: "Person who tests positive for covid in December dies in January after ignoring medical advice"

But nope! We get this

Strap in y'all! Here come the crazy :rofl:

Fact: Everyone dies after receiving a vaccine.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
@eric strt6 , I am sure you know this already, but...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I beleive it is time to force vaccine makers to license manufacturing to those companies with non-viable products but have manufacturing capacity (assuming said capacity supports alternate products), much like is done for war time manufacturing.

Merck has announced it has given up on it's vaccine

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Coworker who has hinted he things that Covid could be a hoax for political reason messaged me today with two sources of Covid data from California that disagreed. He thought it proved the numbers were manufactured and the lift on the lock down was due to recall attempts for the governor.

He disappeared when I explained that both datasets were from the same source but one was showing daily numbers and the other a rolling 2 week average.

I DiD mY oWN ReSirCH1!11

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Coworker who has hinted he things that Covid could be a hoax for political reason messaged me today with two sources of Covid data from California that disagreed. He thought it proved the numbers were manufactured and the lift on the lock down was due to recall attempts for the governor.

He disappeared when I explained that both datasets were from the same source but one was showing daily numbers and the other a rolling 2 week average.

I DiD mY oWN ReSirCH1!11
This sort of thinking really perplexes me... I mean - does this person *actually* think that the number of total deaths in 2020 was manufactured? And compared to what is "normal" - do they think that these excess deaths are due to something *other* than COVID? I wonder what they think caused all that excess mortality? Or do they think that there *weren't* excess deaths in 2020? I mean, 'cause if they do... they really are out to fuckin' lunch.

Oh, wait - it's pretty apparent they must be out to fuckin' lunch. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I beleive it is time to force vaccine makers to license manufacturing to those companies with non-viable products but have manufacturing capacity (assuming said capacity supports alternate products), much like is done for war time manufacturing.

Merck has announced it has given up on it's vaccine
:stupid:

Your vaccine sucks? Sorry, you got your one shot, now its time to throw in the towel and start producing one that works.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Following up on my question to the class from last week: as I said I did sign up for the trial, and have decided that I'll definitely go through with it. I've read a bit more about it, it's the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine. They've been testing it as a single dose, and I think they're submitting for EUA on the single dose this month. The study I would be in is (from what I can tell) the same vaccine but administered as two doses to see if it is more effective, what the side effects look like, etc. From what I've read about it, it looks good, and effective. Doesn't need to be stored as cold as Moderna or Pfizer. Good antibody response with just the one dose, even better with two. Being built on the same platform that their ebola vaccine is, which was just approved in July.

The only thing now is... if J&J gets EUA for single-dose of this vaccine, will they want to continue the trial for two doses? i.e. could I get told "sorry dude, we don't need ya any more" or something. I guess I'll find out... but the presser I linked to here kinda reads like the two-dose trial would continue even if they get EUA for single dose.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Found this:

Cliff notes:
  1. Trump's admin said early on (March 200 maybe?) they'd make use of the Defense Production Act but kinda did it half-assed, and only for PPE and supplies and such which was where we were at the time (no vaccine yet).
  2. Pfizer was asking for help procuring materials needed for production as early as September 2020, but got a luke-warm or non-response from Trump admin. DPA could have been used to prioritize getting those materials to Pfizer, if I understand it correctly.
  3. Biden has now also said he'll invoke the DPA to increase supplies, set up vaccination locations, and produce testing supplies, personal protective equipment and medical equipment, etc.
  4. There is a law that would enable the gov't to require vaccine tech be shared with other manufacturers, and could be combined with the DPA to make it possible for Merck to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine for instance.
And yes, agree that it's time to do #4.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Moderna seems to be suggesting today that in lab tests their vaccine works against the current known variants.

Can we make some extra of theirs please?

I also read that, but slightly less effective (still effective) against the SA strain IIRC.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Aw Fuck one of my friends from my days in High Tech has Covid 19 Mild case but some of the symptoms are worrysome He is under the care of a Kaiser Dr.

no lung issues but "pee looked like Tang. body aches, weird looking poop. fever. "

to me that's severe dehydration with the pee, could be kidney damage

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yes and it has been for a while. Also whatever data that alleged low efficacy for older age groups is based is on is likely to be the same data that was provided to UK regulators. This might just as well be utterly irresponsible reporting.

I think the US will run its own trial for approval of the vaccine, so that should hopefully help clear this up. It should also be noted that the EU is currently in a kerfuffle with Astra Zeneca over unmet delivery targets and is threatening export restrictions.

Edit: So that 8% efficacy turns out to be b.s. and someone at the newspaper in question as well as the government really effed this up, probably willingly so.

Last edited: