Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
If this doesn’t burn out fairly quickly on its own via herd immunity accomplished via high asymptomatic background infection then I am very pessimistic.
Thats a longshot.

I'd say we better hurry up pumping out PPE for the general population, to try to keep the ecpnomy going as much as possible, while keeping the infection rates stable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The fact that mango hasn't invoked the DPA for medical supplies should automatically invoke some maintenance de routine right now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The fact that mango hasn't invoked the DPA for medical supplies should automatically invoke some maintenance de routine right now.
No health systems in the US have run out of supplies yet. I read that NYC is 10 days from that--not sure if a reliable source. Meanwhile Cuomo seem to be doing a good job of getting ahead of that curve and getting facilities ready.

I don't know what the latency is in the system with invoking the DPA and getting results from companies, so perhaps the time is now. But it's possible that the normal mechanisms combined with local leaders acting rationally (Newsom as well) will be sufficient if the current trends hold.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Milk in 4 weeks (all the single serving lunch stuff too), pasta in 6, bread in 8 (we freeze a lot and eat it slowly). It's the eggs that are the issue... This might be our trigger to put in a chicken coop into the backyard.
I have chickens, and have bread them from time to time. Everyone is coming out of the wood work asking for eggs and chickens. Im so sick of eating eggs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No health systems in the US have run out of supplies yet. I read that NYC is 10 days from that--not sure if a reliable source. Meanwhile Cuomo seem to be doing a good job of getting ahead of that curve and getting facilities ready.

I don't know what the latency is in the system with invoking the DPA and getting results from companies, so perhaps the time is now. But it's possible that the normal mechanisms combined with local leaders acting rationally (Newsom as well) will be sufficient if the current trends hold.
Would you rather have a surplus (which could then be stored for Bat II) or not enough?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have chickens, and have bread them from time to time. Everyone is coming out of the wood work asking for eggs and chickens. Im so sick of eating eggs.
Hahaha. Because of my diet, I eat 2-4 eggs per day, not including the family. I have about 200' of 2x4's in my garage and just need the plywood (still have a lot anyways), siding, roofing carpet, and shingles (finish because of HOA rules). Will probably cost me $150-200 to make and populate it. Maybe a year for break-even, but independence is nice and the girls get chickens to raise.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

But the only states taking active, rational lead are NY, WA, CA, and CO for the most part. Effectively all of the South are doing nothing. FL only started making people stop doing things yesterday, so they are running over a week behind in a time period with huge aggregation of population (spring break) in a locale with huge at-risk population (The Villages). There are still Southern states, including TN and TX as of my last check that have done nothing.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
But the only states taking active, rational lead are NY, WA, CA, and CO for the most part. Effectively all of the South are doing nothing. FL only started making people stop doing things yesterday, so they are running over a week behind in a time period with huge aggregation of population (spring break) in a locale with huge at-risk population (The Villages). There are still Southern states, including TN and TX as of my last check that have done nothing.
NC restaurants and bars have all been closed as well as many non essential businesses. Don’t lump us in with Florida.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Hahaha. Because of my diet, I eat 2-4 eggs per day, not including the family. I have about 200' of 2x4's in my garage and just need the plywood (still have a lot anyways), siding, roofing carpet, and shingles (finish because of HOA rules). Will probably cost me $150-200 to make and populate it. Maybe a year for break-even, but independence is nice and the girls get chickens to
Its great fun for the family! They don't really need much. A fancy coop looks nice and works nice, but a cheap premade or dog house can work too. Also a kids old playhouse and some chicken wire. That way you could see if its for you for very cheap.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hahaha. Because of my diet, I eat 2-4 eggs per day, not including the family. I have about 200' of 2x4's in my garage and just need the plywood (still have a lot anyways), siding, roofing carpet, and shingles (finish because of HOA rules). Will probably cost me $150-200 to make and populate it. Maybe a year for break-even, but independence is nice and the girls get chickens to raise.
Shoveling the large quantities of chicken shit will *definitely* build character. Ask me how I know. :D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And some Irony: Rand Paul has the Corona

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So what you're saying, is that they are actually reporting COVID19 as the reason for death, although the actual fatal reason might have been a different reason, but it was triggered by corona virus. That sounds like the way it should be reported...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ultimately every death is cardiovascular or respiratory failure. Reporting it as those isn’t useful.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So what you're saying, is that they are actually reporting COVID19 as the reason for death, although the actual fatal reason might have been a different reason, but it was triggered by corona virus. That sounds like the way it should be reported...
I’m not saying anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
68D6E94A-CDCB-4E3C-828E-A17E4C859725.jpeg

So this is what I’ll be keeping my eye on as per my diatribe above, Italy’s daily deaths. Italy is the prototype of what we’re trying to do (minimal testing, social distancing/lock downs, no mask use for the gen pop). No flattening yet, and again I suggest to you all to ignore the case count data streaming in since that’s so dependent on testing rates.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
View attachment 142368

So this is what I’ll be keeping my eye on as per my diatribe above, Italy’s daily deaths. Italy is the prototype of what we’re trying to do (minimal testing, social distancing/lock downs, no mask use for the gen pop). No flattening yet, and again I suggest to you all to ignore the case count data streaming in since that’s so dependent on testing rates.
Wouldn't the deaths be affected by that as well? I assume that if you are not confirmed to have Covid-19 your death would not count under this category.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody else hate the term or maybe more accurately the misnomer "Social Distancing"?

That is not what we need or should want.
We need Social Closeness, but Physical Distancing.

Stay home and pick up the phone, text or skype

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Anybody else hate the term or maybe more accurately the misnomer "Social Distancing"?

That is not what we need or should want.
We need Social Closeness, but Physical Distancing.

Stay home and pick up the phone, text or skype
But why? I don't get all those folks that suddenly try to get in touch after not having heard from them for a while. Leave me alone, I got shit to do. If you are bored then get a hobby.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
View attachment 142368

This is ultimately what matters. The derivative of the death curve.
Red is China (supposedly), black is Italy. Deaths per day.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Are you a millennial, or just kind of an asshole?
Full asshole.
I just don't get it. I am in close contact with the folks I am always in touch with. Those that were too busy to even keep a basic level of contact the whole time, well, you made that decision a while ago, so please stick with it.