Quantcast

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
What’s your take on EU coming out of this mess?
Regarding the increasingly autocratic tendencies in some member states the EU must take a much tougher stance and start to cut funding and privileges. But the mechanisms to do so just aren‘t in place or ineffective, and the commission has been frustratingly toothless in dealing with Hungary and Poland.
Whenever tough sanctions were on the table, one of the two would veto any move and strongly worded letters from Brussels just won‘t cut it, so I want to see quick reforms to enable actual punishments for governments undermining the rule of law and democracy. The populists are great at making a lot of noise about the EU Nazis suppressing the will of their people, but when the option of all those lovely Euros drying up and getting kicked out of the single market is actually on the table, while an increasingly aggressive Russia is just waiting to increase its sphere of influence, I‘d hope that there will be a reversal in course. After all, my feeling is that the memory of suffering under a Russian led Soviet empire is still stronger than the nationalist fervor that the likes of Fidesz and PiS are so adept at playing to. I just hope the whole populace still has access to information and the ability to make its voice heard when the time comes, since what Orban is pulling is straight up dictatorial.
I‘m all for closer integration in areas like consumer protection, whether it be safety standards or data laws. But the nation state must remain the building block of the EU, there is no way around it. These identities run so deep here it‘s not even funny and policy makers need to be super sensitive in communicating their efforts.

As for the economic impact and the Euro in particular, I feel I‘m in no position to give a valid assessment of the situation. From my limited perspective, I just cannot see a way around all members shouldering some of the risk for the debts countries need to take on to get out of this mess. I can understand the reluctance of the northern states to take those risks during the last Euro crisis as this was in large part due to failures of policy in the affected countries. But this is not a self inflicted crisis and countries like Greece and Spain have undertaken massive reforms and put a lot of stress on their populations.

It‘s frustrating to think about these matters as there are never any clear non conflicting answers in Europe. The EU will remain a work in progress for a long time. Do I think something like the new medical supplies procurement scheme is sensible? Absolutely. Do I want fully integrated health care systems and transnational unemployment insurance? Hell no. But I do really like free movement of goods and labor.... argh!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I bet scheiße also transmits it, no? :D
There was actually a study done very early on and of course it was done in Germany. Turned out it was not a vector for transmission. Then again and contrary to popular belief, eating shit really is not considered normal behavior here, so the study might not have taken that option into account.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My GF is anxious AF with the broken glass in the lungs breathing sensation phase of this.
She's at home isolating with her 2 kids (8 & 10 who are fine). but upset and scared.
I'm 10 miles away. isolating alone.
If I go to hers to continue isolating but comfort her. Does both of us being infected increase risks to each of our health. ie. will our symptoms get worse? Can we get more infected than we already are from one another?
is anyone qualified to answer this/explain to me?

Sorry for the dumb quesstion but I can't find this information with google overloaded by the exact coronavirus information.

Obviously if I travel the 10 miles i'll drive carefully and keep the fuck away from anything/everyone I can.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My GF is anxious AF with the broken glass in the lungs breathing sensation phase of this.
She's at home isolating with her 2 kids (8 & 10 who are fine). but upset and scared.
If I go to hers to continue isolating but comfort her. Does both of us being infected increase risks to each of our health. ie. will our symptoms get worse? Can we get more infected than we already are from one another?

Sorry for the dumb quesstion but I can't find this information with google overloaded by the exact coronavirus information.

Obviously if I travel the 10 miles i'll drive carefully and keep the fuck away from anything/everyone I can.
paging @Toshi

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm not sure that anyone knows that answer. What I'd do personally would be to go and comfort her, avoiding the kids.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm not sure that anyone knows that answer. What I'd do personally would be to go and comfort her, avoiding the kids.
I was getting that feeling.
She obvs can't avoid the kids.
If I were there it'd be impossible for us all to avoid each other realistically

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Wifey and I are both getting over being sick (still, but definitely on upswing). We've shared the same bed the entire time, lived with a 2 & 7 y/o in normal manner, and just proceeded along. We are using my later sick date as our 2 week clock, but that's it. Girls are just fine, but I'm sure they are evil little carriers...

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007

i aint a doc, i dont know how bad it is for you personally, but if i were sick and scared, and had kids runnin around, i would sure want my loved one by my side, it could get real bad real fast...

scared about what might happen, when its really happening now.... its just like my opnion,

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ah fuck I'm getting bored of this. Lemme know when I need to burn some bodies

You guys ever eat wings with your friend who grew up poor and he's like "Wait, are you done with those? What about them lashes?"

You could be proactive and just burn a nursing home.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
(what a dumb ass)

Montana Democratic Governor Steve Bullock noted that delays in testing state residents could soon overwhelm hospitals in rural population centers and griped that his buying power has been repeatedly "trumped" by the federal government, a far larger customer for supplies and equipment.

"I could give four or five examples over the last week where we have supply orders, and they've subsequently been cancelled, and they're canceled in part because what our suppliers are saying is that federal resources are requesting it and trumping that," Bullock said.

Bullock also warned "we're going to have some real problems" across smaller rural states if they cannot soon obtain the necessary testing equipment. He cited Gallatin County, which encompasses Bozeman, as a population center that is seeing a growing infection rate.

"So we're trying to shift the supplies to really isolate that and do contact tracing, but we don't even have enough supplies to do the testing," Bullock said.

Mr. Trump replied, "I haven't heard about testing in weeks. We've tested more now than any nation in the world. We've got these great tests and we'll come out with another one tomorrow that's, you know, almost instantaneous testing. But I haven't heard anything about testing being a problem."

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i aint a doc, i dont know how bad it is for you personally, but if i were sick and scared, and had kids runnin around, i would sure want my loved one by my side, it could get real bad real fast...

scared about what might happen, when its really happening now.... its just like my opnion,
Thanks. but it's quite a bit complicated than that. as I'm sure lots of peoples situations might be.
She's where she is. Near HER family. I'm here. near MINE
our kids aren't "running around" they're all really good kids and know the score.
Family extends to Exs/Parents of our kids too.
We're all talking to each other as much/often as possible. I just wanted to figure out if I'd be making things worse by going there.
I'm going to call my Dr in the morning. It's 10:20pm here.
NHS lines are swamped with calls.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wifey and I are both getting over being sick (still, but definitely on upswing). We've shared the same bed the entire time, lived with a 2 & 7 y/o in normal manner, and just proceeded along. We are using my later sick date as our 2 week clock, but that's it. Girls are just fine, but I'm sure they are evil little carriers...
Thanks Stoney. so glad to hear you're getting through this.
We've decided unless we're told by the doc that it's a terrrible idea for me to be there I'll move in tomorrow. We're both tired but ok.

Cheers for the new conspiracy theory. I hadn't actually considered this might all be the work of little fuckers who just want time off school and longer to stay in playing Fortnite. ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Question I proposed to a combat medic friend:

Do you think we are at the point of needing to wear n95 respirators when grocery shopping ? Both CDC and WHO say they are only for people with symptoms and healthy people don’t need to wear them. But there are conflicting reports out there that say the virus might be aerosol (s.p.). I had one in one of my tool bins. It seems fine. I also have a huge beard that would probably need to go.

Thoughts ?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
With the beard you'd be just as well off with a regular surgical mask.

If you have masks I don't think it'd hurt to wear one whenever in public. I'd do so but have no such mask supply.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
With the beard you'd be just as well off with a regular surgical mask.

If you have masks I don't think it'd hurt to wear one whenever in public. I'd do so but have no such mask supply.
Thanks. I only have the one n95 respirator. Don’t really want to shave off my beard. But if it’s necessary, then I will do whatever it takes to keep my parents and myself safe.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Question I proposed to a combat medic friend:

Do you think we are at the point of needing to wear n95 respirators when grocery shopping ? Both CDC and WHO say they are only for people with symptoms and healthy people don’t need to wear them. But there are conflicting reports out there that say the virus might be aerosol (s.p.). I had one in one of my tool bins. It seems fine. I also have a huge beard that would probably need to go.

Thoughts ?
There are a couple of ways to skin this cat.

One. You mask everybody as if they could transmit the virus. This is the safest way to go about daily operations. The problem with this methodology is that there are not enough masks to apply it. This is detrimental to the healthcare workers who actually need the masks to interact with infected individuals.

Two. You mask nobody, assuming they don’t have the possibility to transmit the virus. This is foolish. Obviously some asymptotic people have the virus and there are masks available.

Three. You mask symptomatic people as if they could transmit the virus, in order to prevent them from infecting others. We currently know that not everybody with symptoms is getting tested. This seems like the best route to go. However, symptomatic people should not be out in public in the first place, regardless of positive testing.

Four. If you are a high-risk individual (older, respiratory issues, immune compromised) you mask up as a preventative measure if you must go out.

Given the needs of healthcare workers and the fact that some of them are already reusing their n95 masks, I think the best route to go for the general public is to not use the masks if you are civilian out in daily life. Save supplies for healthcare professionals. If you’re symptomatic, stay at home. If you’re high risk, stay at home.

I don’t believe the general public has a good understanding of how these masks work, nor do they understand how to apply “clean hands” techniques effectively to daily activities. Using the masks inappropriately is a waste of limited resources.

Edit - I recently saw a friend post a video of herself going to a farmers market. She was masked and gloved at one point. She posted a second video in her car stating she removed her gloves but had forgotten her hand sanitizer. Her mask was off. Now, there are ways to remove gloves to minimize cross contamination (and she knows these). She can’t touch her face with “dirty” gloves, so she must’ve removed them first. Next she had to remove the mask with unprotected hands, which would theoretically get her hands dirty with any contamination on or around the mask (you know, that thing filtering out the contamination). Now those hands are on her steering wheel, car keys, door handles, etc. I think it’s unlikely that she actually cross contaminated with the virus, but it’s absolutely possible.

Last edited: