Quantcast

Crashby goes to Europe

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
so, you can still smoke in public places in Scottland, but criminey, they dont play games with the packaging... they run you about $8 american too :eek:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by Crashby
so, you can still smoke in public places in Scottland, but criminey, they dont play games with the packaging... they run you about $8 american too :eek:
LOL!!! That picture is hilarious! Some really beautiful shots today!!! Have fun riding tomorrow :D

Crashby, I don't know you, but man! What a really great thread this is. Your ability to provide insight to the wonderful pictures you've provided us all with is a very nice touch indeed!

Me thinks you're setting the bar pretty high for future "slide" shows.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well and look forward to seeing more pictures if you have them.....

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yawn... stretch... *grmmmphhhhh* (translated: I had a few more whiskeys than I planned last night...)

Will, time to get me arse out the bed and get my steed... I have a little walk to the shop... - hopefully I can find me some Guinness and a bacon roll to fuel up for the day :p

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
So, the light rain this morning has turned into a steady heavy rain... I’m soaked by the time I finish my 30 min walk to the bike rental shop...:mad:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
50 meters, 50 meters.... white shop, red door, white shop, red door.... ahhhh.... here we go.... hmmm looks a little sketchy... and very much.... locked :dead:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ok- so I’m a bit miffed... pissed.... I even mutter "sod off then" under my breath... Its an hour round trip walk from my flat in the pouring rain... and I'm in the middle of the bloody ghetto of Edinburgh with no bike :angry:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Stop by the LBS again so at least I do something bike related...:rolleyes: I try to rent a bike from them, but they decline... the owners says that the UK is the 2nd biggest market for Kona's outside the US... they are everywhere here...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I found some grafitti art that I think is done by Banksy, "...a Bristolian stencil graffiti artist, and the first British graffiti artist to gain a reputation for anything other than doing an impressive amount of community service.

See more of his works here..

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
so.... maybe if the wind continues from the east, the rain will stop, the sun can work its way out from behind the clouds, and the bike shop will be open after noon....:confused:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
the rain let up around 12:30, and I decided to try again on the whole bike thing (I dont give up easily...:cool:)

As it turned out, the sun would only be out for about 10 min for the whole day...:cool:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
giddyup... pimp my ride... Bike shop guy slept in because he saw rain :rolleyes:

anyway, here is my steed for the day... Giant somethingorother... front fork basicaly frozen, but she shifts good... so I'll run 'er a spell...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I turn around and spy some major hills in the background... oh yes... I must climb them... I dont know how I'm going to get there, or how long it will take, but oh yes... I will climb them...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Turns out that Ive been looking at Holyrood Park and Arthur's Seat that make up a miniature highland mountain in the heart of the city, with its very own 350 million year old extinct volcano. During this period of time Scotland was near the equator on the southern edge of the continent that stood where the Atlantic is now. It is tectonic drift that has brought this landscape to its present latitude.

Some of the well-worn paths around the park have been in continuous use since the Bronze Age. Radical Road and some of the other tracks across Salisbury Crags are far more recent and are associated with the extensive quarrying that went on here in the eighteenth century.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
turned into some amusing singletrack... lots of hikers on the trails... I got the distinct feeling that I shouldnt be up here on a bike, but what do I know? Im just a tourist from the states:p

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
When I got to the bottom, it was raining so hard that I had to take cover in the thick underbrush of a riverside thicket... I happened upon these little fluffers... sorry mum.