Quantcast

Fort William World Cup

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You guys are friggin' harsh. The only ones who have made Sam out to be arrogant and unbeatable are the RM fan boys here. You're the ones that gave him near celebrity status. And now you rip on him, accusing him of being a sore loser when the rest of the field step it up to his level? That's disgraceful. Whilst he's obviously disappointed to not be doing as well as he'd like, he's perfectly graceful in defeat. His interview on mtbcut is testament to that. He's obviously not the most outgoing of guys, but to slag him off now that your hero has some competition is out of order.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
Well, for me it's hard to stop a conversation by the other guy saying what he has to say, but after that says the subject closes here.. Not fair.

And I'm all about fairness and style. ;)
you mean getting the last word in. Just drop it or start another thread. Seriously there is more talk about skinsuits than racing.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
You guys are friggin' harsh. The only ones who have made Sam out to be arrogant and unbeatable are the RM fan boys here. You're the ones that gave him near celebrity status. And now you rip on him, accusing him of being a sore loser when the rest of the field step it up to his level? That's disgraceful. Whilst he's obviously disappointed to not be doing as well as he'd like, he's perfectly graceful in defeat. His interview on mtbcut is testament to that. He's obviously not the most outgoing of guys, but to slag him off now that your hero has some competition is out of order.
People have been harsh towards him before, but none of the comments in this thread are meant to be malicious as far as i can see.. personally i think hes just a quiet guy who happens to be really talented, not a sore loser at all.

i just thought it was a funny photo. and just what the hell is that sword doing there anyway?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Hope you do not lump me in with that 'guys' thing. I posted a pic and said he does not look stoked, he is not...big deal. I still know he's hella bad ass. Also never said he was arrogant etc...for the record, I like Sam, I love to watch him ride and he has always been a really nice guy to me.
I will also say I do not think anyone is really 'ripping' on him at all. But that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Last edited:

climbngruven

Chimp
May 28, 2007
I have a hard time looking at those skinsuits too, but this is racing, not a fashion show, so I think it's the results that matter. And in terms of results, at an average of 36kps/22mph over ~5 minutes, wearing a skinsuit *might* well have been the difference between 8th and 9th place (57/100ths of a second), depending on how loose Sam Blenkinsop gear was and how much drag it created. As for Chris Huthens, it definitely made up more than the difference between 17th and 18th, and might have made the difference between 17th and 19th. Of course, they could've gotten almost as much or even more aerodynamic benefit from shedding the visors, cutting holes in the race number, and using deep section wheels (if someone makes them), and that would be a lot less painful to watch.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
the sword is the price they gave minnaar for winning the 100th race held by the UCI. What happened to Ben Reid?
he was a DNF, he must have crashed and hurt himself..

its not been his year so far!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I have a hard time looking at those skinsuits too, but this is racing, not a fashion show, so I think it's the results that matter. And in terms of results, at an average of 36kps/22mph over ~5 minutes, wearing a skinsuit *might* well have been the difference between 8th and 9th place (57/100ths of a second), depending on how loose Sam Blenkinsop gear was and how much drag it created. As for Chris Huthens, it definitely made up more than the difference between 17th and 18th, and might have made the difference between 17th and 19th. Of course, they could've gotten almost as much or even more aerodynamic benefit from shedding the visors, cutting holes in the race number, and using deep section wheels (if someone makes them), and that would be a lot less painful to watch.
finally some sense! In the end, sadly enough, it's not about who we'd like to win, or who looks better doing what, it's about a ticking clock, and if you have any legal means to lower your time on a race run, then by alls means do it, even if it means you look like a condom doing it, who cares... It would have been funny seing Rifle going down in a skinsuit for that matter...

Yeah, Peaty is a pretty cool guy I would love to see him tie with Nico's record and hopefully beat it. Would be ace.
As would I!

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Peaty must've stormed the second half of the course looking at the split times. Peaty is still very much in the mix for the overall. Comeon Peaty you can do it!
And what is with the Gump's 52nd place split time at 4.09.48 - 5.10.72 ...

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
finally some sense! In the end, sadly enough, it's not about who we'd like to win, or who looks better doing what, it's about a ticking clock, and if you have any legal means to lower your time on a race run, then by alls means do it, even if it means you look like a condom doing it, who cares... It would have been funny seing Rifle going down in a skinsuit for that matter...

As would I!
You know what is the role of sponsored bikers? They shoud PROMOTE their sponsor (also mountain bikeing if they really love the sport) and with that kind of suit the only thing they can promote is durex.
BTW. Who was riding for the condom company?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm not sure this is depressing or inspiring...

http://freecaster.com/live/1000006_1004825

Every so often I like to kid myself that I could've been a contender... :shocked:

(if only I'd started riding at 16 instead of 26, if only I wasn't so slow etc etc)

But really, the difference between these WC riders and the average joe is huge.

Looking forward to the race!
Yeah, that helmet cam is crazy. HCs normally look pretty slow, but that looked stupid quick at times! Also note that he did it in 5min10, winning race run was some 25seconds quicker still!!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
As for skinsuits, I can't believe the top guys AREN'T wearing them. I can easily beleive it's worth 5+ seconds on a course like that, any guy on that podium could have been in the #1 spot if they'd chosen to put the baggies to one side for one run.

May 12, 2008
What a weekend. The final was amazing, really, really phenomenal racing, down to the last man. Tracey's result was fantastic, really opens up the whole title race, and the men's leaderboard is close too.

Greg capped it all off for me by stuffing the sword straight through the champagne bottle, trying to indulge in a spot of sabrage... Magic.

Last edited:

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Watching the first 3 world cups live........I am still in shock on the coolness of it all.
Me too. I am friggin loving technology right now.

Thanks to all those involved in the freecaster production. I thought Warner did a good job of commentating as he had me in stitches a few times. Although I did find it a bit funny he didn't know who Cameron Cole was.

It finished at just after 1am here, and I would never have thought that watching live DH racing would have been that exciting. From Rennie onwards the chatroom and MSN was going Banana's and I was on the edge of my seat.

This can only be a good thing for DH. It's a shame Stampy didn't win:biggrin:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Really impressed with the class of Minaar in his interview crediting his teammates and all...those syndicate boys are easy to pull for.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Really impressed with the class of Minaar in his interview crediting his teammates and all...those syndicate boys are easy to pull for.
How about a round of applause for Kathy Sessler, syndicate team manager. I have seen her at her house over the years bustin ass getting things done, she works countless hours for her boys and is always making sure they are taken care off.

Oh...and no one....I mean no one, can cook like Sessler.

Last edited:

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
First of all congrats to GM well deserved and its great to see him back up top, also the rest of the top 5 esspecially, Gee is proven himself now to me as a true contender and is hot right now! More big battles to come!

Great to also see the Santa Cruz synda do well overall, this type of thing can only breed more semi if not pro teams if they can get success, which is good for the sport and growth if it UCI DH/4X/XC wants true respect as a world sport!

Its great to see Tracey back there too and have a Brit when @ home!
Sabs has her hands full this year too and it could go anywhere, Im hoping it will be Rachel!

Good to see the old boys/gilrs back and should give them a good boost, rock on Italy !!

But its a long season and ya got to be at the end to win, peaking for the worlds also helps!

Dam straight big ted and well said, lots of good coments as usual here but allot of judging going on, opinions are good, but I hate tall poppy syndrome!
Put up or shut up, I don't see too many Americans in the top 10!

Its a dam good season so far lets just be stoked on the awesome riding/racing and results.
As I said above its a long season, Sam won the first round didn't he! I'm sure hes playing the consistent card and playing to his strengths his best courses are yet to come, more technical and long, and I'm sure he's aiming to peak for Worlds and the final rounds of the WC. its a longer season and baring injury he will be there! who will win I don't care as long as the racing is as good as it is right now!

The points race is tight, lets see who can deal best with the pressure, to be fair its all on Sam but I'm picking he can handle it..

As for Skinsuits who cares can't we talk about the racing and have another thread about friggin skinsuits if you must, maybe if the US or others worried more about riding and less how they looked you'd be up there more!

A good kiwi lad rides without frigging gloves his results seem pretty good too!

Rock on Italy and Mt Saint Anne!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
How about a round of applause for Kathy Sessler, syndicate team manager. I have seen her at her house over the years bustin ass getting things done, she works countless hours for her boys and is always making sure they are taken care off.

Oh...and no one....I mean no one, can cook like Sessler.
I'll have to take your word for it on the cooking, but there can be no doubting that she's doing something right!

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ok here is the scoop on skin suits i can't stand it anymore. They are faster no one disagrees with that. But riders got tired of looking like dorks so a movement back in early 2000-2001 started by Peaty, Warner etc. to remove them from view. Including running a BULLET helmet (no visor) from world cups. Pretty much everyone agreed not to wear a skin suit in world cup events, partitions were signed by the riders and a ban was almost accomplished. And it is pretty much understood that you don’t wear one. ( I’m talking more on the guys racing, )

Now, when you enter into the world championship you HAVE to run a skin suit for that one day race. I was given one when I rode for England in 2002 and you have no choice but to put the thing on. It is WAY faster btw.

So when you have a field of athletes that has an unspoken rule not to wear them and a team manager says you should, then expect to be ripped apart by Warner and other riders. It’s all part of it. It’s pretty amusing but at the same time kind of dumb if you don’t know the background.

Whatever, that’s the reason they got ripped apart verbally this weekend and the team manager should have known that. When Warner gets in there the gloves are off. But hey I now know who the mojo guys are and didn’t before today, so maybe it worked and the guy got 6th!!, damn!
Waylon?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
You know what is the role of sponsored bikers? They shoud PROMOTE their sponsor (also mountain bikeing if they really love the sport) and with that kind of suit the only thing they can promote is durex.
BTW. Who was riding for the condom company?
Promoting aside, and sponsership aside, isn't worldcup more about winning for yourself, team and country before your sponsers? I mean, we all got into this sport because we love it, no to promote a sponser, even though if it means you have to ride a bike, team, or clothe you don't like but you get paid to do it, to be racing and riding? In the end it's about a clock and you...

Riffle was riding for a condom company

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
awsome, some people here confuses dh-racing with some kind of beauty contest or whatever

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, she was crazy-stoked to the point you could hear her over the crowd after Minnaar took it...which was shortly after Peat pipped out Rennie. If it wasn't for that meddlesome Gee, she may have literally exploded on-site!!! Another feel-good weekend on the WC circuit for sure.:)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't know why everyone thinks skin suits look stupid. I've watched downhill ski racing for years and I've never thought that they don't look the part.

I think there's just a lot of small-penis-syndrome on here, and everyone's getting worried :p