Quantcast

Future Of Geometry? Grim F@#$IN DONUT

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is what I'm struggling with here. They've taken existing trails, and placed useless berms in the fun DH sections and cut off the old lines. All it does is slow the trail down and make it easier to climb up. If anyone voices any objection, they tell us not to be so elitist, or that's what the land manager wants. It's really frustrating, because I don't know what to do... they seem oblivious (impervious/indifferent) to outside opinion.

I guess I could reach out and ask if there's a way to have a dialogue because lots of people seem to be unhappy and are voicing their opinion, but getting slapped down for speaking up.
Yeah its totally frustrating. I've mentioned it to them in the past and the response received is "well come out and build then". Which I can understand that response, but I'd rather spend time maintaining existing trail, than building lame new stuff (which I do).

And the way some of these clubs are structured, there is a huge political aspect to it. It just makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Part of what’s wrong with legit trail work / advocacy orgs is that they are often run by people who aren’t great riders. This is a generalization, but older, wealthier dudes usually have more time, money and interest in sitting in boring board meetings or meetings with land managers.

That won’t change unless younger, better riders and builders join the orgs, take an active role, and change them from the inside. Bitching at them or complaining after the fact doesn’t help and will work against you.

The “earn your turns” and tentative old school 80s XC mentality is alive and kicking in these groups.

this is why I’ve recently engaged with my local orgs.
You can also easily start your own non-profit and Instagram and get a seat at the table pretty quickly.

it does take a great deal of commitment to understand land managers’ concerns and language, so the more you know about local environmental issues, plants and animals, and what local riders REALLY want will make your effort more effective.
It also helps if you have legit pro-level construction and excavation experience. (I don’t.)

At your local secret DJs or pirate DH trails, the better riders and diggers generally vote with their shovels and run the zone, as you guys know.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I'll raise your ruts and give you 1 Joe "Fucking" Strummer in front of a Dirt Jump way before most of you where born....
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 12.15.16 PM.png

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you have a Scott you have to stay flexible, who knows when a shock or pivot bolt will snap?
I’d say it’s more the colors that force me to stay flexible.

This is probably more up your alley.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
American desert rat surrounded by euro styling flourescents
Isn't this "thing" American made, by and for?
:rofl:
/from a tiny bit butthurt euro :wave:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Isn't this "thing" American made, by and for?
Yes, with the appropriate framing in the thread title.

You guys make that shit and brag about it, and produce some weird ass CAD rendered video in italian that the rest of the world makes fun of.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Where‘s that? Sounds great.

Most of the time 27.5 wheels on a Large Ransom and sometimes a medium but the medium feels unstable when I get going faster.
Bali - Went with the Bali Bikepark guys. They are a bit disorganized when it comes to contact but when you ride with them it's pretty cool.

As for the Ransom. I'm 179cm and Went for a Large because I also tried a large reign this year but somehow I had serious trouble with moving around the bike and the steeps on Madeira kinda require that. Something that wasn't a problem on the Reign. Wonder if it's maybe a case of different cockpit setups since the bikes don't have drastically different sizing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Bali - Went with the Bali Bikepark guys. They are a bit disorganized when it comes to contact but when you ride with them it's pretty cool.

As for the Ransom. I'm 179cm and Went for a Large because I also tried a large reign this year but somehow I had serious trouble with moving around the bike and the steeps on Madeira kinda require that. Something that wasn't a problem on the Reign. Wonder if it's maybe a case of different cockpit setups since the bikes don't have drastically different sizing.
Oh nice! That would be a fun trip.
Carbon or alu front triangle? I run a 40mm stem with a 35mm rise bar to make the bike feel shorter and manual easier. Always a 27.5 rear wheel and I also cut the seat tube to run my seat lower and like that I can get along with the Large size. Full 29 with a low front end is much harder for me to corner and move the bike around while descending.
A35BD231-9A16-46EB-9A97-C56942E5E653.jpeg

You can see here how the seat clamp is sitting on the weld. Not recommended to cut the frame but I like the large if i make it feel smaller and lower. I can’t ride super long reach bikes well with the riding techniques I currently possess. Anything above 470mm and I have to hang out, look for mushrooms and wait for the run to be over.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I had a Bird AM9 in M/L size with 475mm in reach for my 1.75m. I felt like a passenger most of the time... it felt good when monstertrucking and fast straight lines tho.

I feel like the trend for longer reach starts to go too far and find interesting that you blame your riding skills instead. What do you reckon you need to improve to be able to ride bikes with longer reach?

As I see it, the speed at which we can move our body, and therefore our center of gravity, is limited so that there is a point from which we are no longer able to shift weight fast enough on the longer bikes. I can be wrong and weight shifting is not all there is when cycling...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Carbon or alu front triangle? I run a 40mm stem with a 35mm rise bar to make the bike feel shorter and manual easier. Always a 27.5 rear wheel and I also cut the seat tube to run my seat lower and like that I can get along with the Large size. Full 29 with a low front end is much harder for me to corner and move the bike around while descending.View attachment 150739

You can see here how the seat clamp is sitting on the weld. Not recommended to cut the frame but I like the large if i make it feel smaller and lower. I can’t ride super long reach bikes well with the riding techniques I currently possess. Anything above 470mm and I have to hang out, look for mushrooms and wait for the run to be over.
The Alu 920. You are 6cm taller so Large is easier for u. I'm just trying to pinpoint what caused the difference between the giant and the Scott.

As for Trips - I have a friend who really knows a few african countries well, as well as knowing languages but I just can't convice him to switch from road to be my guide ;)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I had a Bird AM9 in M/L size with 475mm in reach for my 1.75m. I felt like a passenger most of the time... it felt good when monstertrucking and fast straight lines tho.
I've got stupid body geo. Literally the Canyon bike size finder gives me an error when I enter my height and leg length. Stupid short legs and longish torso. I forget the numbers exactly but its basically 175cm and like 78cm inseam?

Anyways, for me longer reach has been awesome. For ages I'd love the reach of Large sizes but the standover and minimum seat height was a killer. Now Mediums have grown to and surpassed the Large reach numbers of a couple years ago.

My first Patrol M was like 432mm reach, then a Kona Process M at 450 (50mm stem, 46 offset), then another Patrol at 450 (45mm stem, 37 offset). I'd still like to run a L at those numbers (closer to 475, maybe too long) but the new Commencal Meta TR punches out a 465mm reach, and the new Kona Process X is 465 and can be run in a mullet config. Things are getting goooood for us Dachshund people.... slowly but surely.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Carbon or alu front triangle? I run a 40mm stem with a 35mm rise bar to make the bike feel shorter and manual easier. Always a 27.5 rear wheel and I also cut the seat tube to run my seat lower and like that I can get along with the Large size. Full 29 with a low front end is much harder for me to corner and move the bike around while descending.View attachment 150739

Any close ups of the seat tube mod? I've oft considered doing something similar.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I've got stupid body geo. Literally the Canyon bike size finder gives me an error when I enter my height and leg length. Stupid short legs and longish torso. I forget the numbers exactly but its basically 175cm and like 78cm inseam?
Do you also have long arms combined with your long torso?
I am 175cm too, 81cm inseam and +6cm ape index.

Let me know what you think once you had some time on 465mm reach, or more, bikes. I seem to like best reach numbers around 440mm nevertheless I don't have much experience of bikes between 445 and 475...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Anyways, for me longer reach has been awesome. For ages I'd love the reach of Large sizes but the standover and minimum seat height was a killer. Now Mediums have grown to and surpassed the Large reach numbers of a couple years ago.

My first Patrol M was like 432mm reach, then a Kona Process M at 450 (50mm stem, 46 offset), then another Patrol at 450 (45mm stem, 37 offset). I'd still like to run a L at those numbers (closer to 475, maybe too long) but the new Commencal Meta TR punches out a 465mm reach, and the new Kona Process X is 465 and can be run in a mullet config. Things are getting goooood for us Dachshund people.... slowly but surely.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Similar proportions here - 179/80. I've enjoyed the longer bike movement overall, however I've found chainstays feeling too long on a few bikes now; could be a result of having a COG farther forward on longer bikes than someone with longer legs (as chainstay length grows in proportion to wheelbase over time).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I, too, am part of the long torso, positive ape index, short-ass legs crew.

425 mm reach initially. 445 mm now on the trailbike. Rented a 470 mm downhill bike iirc and that felt a bit long, but that was a very long and slack bike in many ways.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Hey that no shins is offensive. I've got normal proportioned legs, for someone who's 5'2", which on someone who's 5'7" results in the whole +4 ape index and loving the longening of bikes. 170/71 and +10 for you cuntinetial types.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
you can ship an ebike battery ahead of your trip to your destination, there are regulations and labeling/shipping requirements that must be followed.
That's putting it lightly. Maybe I could find someone licensed to pack and ship a Li-Ion in a city as big as Denver but that's 2 hours away and still a crap shoot. Almost no one is likely to find that service close to home.
I've shipped a large Li-Ion battery at my local UPS store (told them it was bike parts) but that was illegal and it was staying in-country so little chance of being found out.