Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because of enthalpy, or something like that, black holes dissolve over time if not fed additional matter.
Yup. Blackholes in space can (theoretically) completely dissolve over time if they stop sucking things in. Providing Hawking Radiation actually exists (hasn't been proven or disproven yet)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
That is how black holes happen in the Newtonian sense. In the crazy world of quantum mechanics anything can happen at any time, a tiny black hole can apear anywhere. The odds under most circumstances is rediculously slim. At the energy levels that can be obtained in the LHC the probability of a black hole forming are ten times higher than rediculously slim.
10(rediculously slim)= kate moss?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Well it's nearly 48 hours after they started and I'm laying here wondering if selling the house, the business and all my belongings so I can go out in style was really such a good idea.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Well at least if you die in a black hole it's all "trippy"...

If you fell into a large enough black hole, your last moments would be a little bit like being on the inside of a distorted, one-way mirror. No one outside would be able to see you, but you'd have a view of them. Meanwhile, the gravitational pull would bend the light weirdly and distort your last moments of vision.
http://www.slate.com/id/2199664/?gt1=38001

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26780393/

The world's largest particle collider malfunctioned within hours of its launch to great fanfare, but its operator didn't report the problem for a week.

In a statement Thursday, the European Organization for Nuclear Research reported for the first time that a 30-ton transformer that cools part of the collider broke, forcing physicists to stop using the atom smasher just a day after starting it up last week.
No need to thank me... I'll be damned if I'm going to let those damn dirty robots do us in.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
They should've known hiring former VW electrical engineers was a bad idea.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Heh I was reading about this last night... because they're using supercooled superconductors, its gonna take a few weeks just to bring the environment up to a temperature that is warm enough for workers to get in there and make the repairs. All total they're looking at 2 months of downtime.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
People are holding 'End Of The World' parties in Geneva.

Ah well, if it all goes pear-shaped, at least I'm near it and it'll be quick!

Party anyone?
It's true Damo, the end of the world is at hand...... HLAH have reformed for a gig in Welly! :shocked:
Just though you'd like to know. ;)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Well, the LHD is still broken (it never was able to work) and it's going to cost them about £14m to fix. Work not expected to start till next summer and even then, it won't be at full power.

We have a little while left on this earth...