Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When I ordered my size 4 smash, Bobby at GG warned me, a water bottle might not fit with the push shock. I could have changed the push shock around to the low profile version when they serviced it and converted from 230 by 65 to 230 by 60. But, that would have been about an extra $250 so I passed on low profile conversion. It turned out, it is a problem to mount a water bottle, but I was able to sort it out with a small part from Wolf Tooth Components called the B-rad 2 slot. Only $20 and now I can fit the large GG water bottle. Other pic is cages that don't fit w/out B-rad.View attachment 141389View attachment 141390View attachment 141391
Problem Solvers (QBP) makes one that is $10.
I have them on a few bikes.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hey @dan-o, whatchya wanna know?

I've been on a Size 2 Smash since last June. My build is earlier in this thread. I only purchased the shock-less frame from GG. Was actually considering posting up in this thread a 1-year "living with" summary this summer. I have lots of thoughts on this bike...

Ultimately, I really really like it. Strava says I have a little over 1500 miles on it since June. I'm only 150lbs and 5'8" but ride agressively and the trails around me are rocky and rooty. Tuning a DHX2 for it has been really tricky. I thought I found a spot where I liked it but more recently it has started topping out a little harder and the bike overall sounds and feels more chattery--i don't feel any lateral play at any of the pivots and the bearings feel smooth so I think I might have done something to the shock. After torquing all bolts to spec when it arrived I haven't had to touch a single one of them since--so that's been awesome. I leave it in Plush mode 100% of the time, even with a coil shock and it is still playful and fun. It was also my first 29er. No company really makes a bad bike these days, we have things pretty good. So I think when looking at GG you have to look at the manufacturing of the bike and the ride quality of the rear suspension design. The build quality of the frame is top notch (although now it has pretty serious heel rub--something that I have never had an issue with on any previous bike) and the rear suspension works like it should--supple off the top and nicely progressive. Its a great bike!

@zdubyadubya seems to like his. i rode it in the parking lot at snowshoe but it was a size small for IIRC

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
If the DHX2 is topping out hard, check coil preload. Those shocks can be sensitive to that. Run only enough preload to keep the spring from rattling is my general recommendation.
Pivots and bolts: we put quite a bit of effort towards that, of which went into production with the Revved launch. I think the average GG rider should be able to put a year of hard riding on the bike with no adjustments or creaks from the frame, minimum.
We made some pivot design updates in late 2017, ran that design in all of the employee bikes for a year (in 2018), nobody made any pivot adjustments or had any creaks from pivots. Into production it went.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
If the DHX2 is topping out hard, check coil preload. Those shocks can be sensitive to that. Run only enough preload to keep the spring from rattling is my general recommendation.
Pivots and bolts: we put quite a bit of effort towards that, of which went into production with the Revved launch. I think the average GG rider should be able to put a year of hard riding on the bike with no adjustments or creaks from the frame, minimum.
We made some pivot design updates in late 2017, ran that design in all of the employee bikes for a year (in 2018), nobody made any pivot adjustments or had any creaks from pivots. Into production it went.
I will check the coil. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Yup, lots of muddy days, some snowy days, a creek crossing or two and just general wet Maryland weather and everything is solid and squeak free after 9 months. love it.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
@dan-o I’ve had mine for a bit April will be a year having it built, and like said above we live in a time of great bikes so a company needs to be more than just a great bike. The ethos of Guerrilla Gravity is fantastic, I saw them start with bikes at the MSC years ago and they have become an industry kick to the face, something that was/is needed. I have a smash my first 29er size 3, it’s the geo I was looking for and I love the bike. I’m running it as short as it can be for trail riding, headset cups back, 35mm stem and seat forward, because of the excellent design I am on a longer bike but can use a dropper with more than 150mm something I still can’t do on other newer bikes. I wanted to have the ability to lengthen the bike for a lift service days as I no longer have a dh bike. In this time my bike has not given me a peep, no loose pivots or sounds, several washes later, including a mud day so bad my wheel couldn’t spin. My riding time this last year is half of normal, however I’ve sold them too. I see their bikes as well, one had a pivot come loose, the other is mercilessly ridden all the time with to date has had no problems. The others sold were not to heavy use people but also without any issues of any kind. I was surprised to have a size 4 build last month, it was a trail pistol with an 11-6 xtr Dt c-wheels was lighter than a sb130LR that I think was a medium but I will claim a large to be fair and was a lot less money with better parts.

@mtg last I looked at the site the carbon dt wheel set was not an option, any reason you can discuss?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
@mtg Do you have a spring rate calculator for the Smash?
Looking at DHX or Push, weigh 235#.
When I initially asked Bobby about this he said to listen to whatever Fox recommended. So I called them up and chatted with them. Their recommendation ended up being spot on. Was also even able to use a longer sized SLS spring than I thought I was supposed to use--so I'm glad I called them.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
When I initially asked Bobby about this he said to listen to whatever Fox recommended. So I called them up and chatted with them. Their recommendation ended up being spot on. Was also even able to use a longer sized SLS spring than I thought I was supposed to use--so I'm glad I called them.
Yeah that post was brain fart.
Looks like 525-550 based on tf tuned.
I've got a 2.8 550 rcs ti spring that will hopefully fit a dhx.

I was/am really close to pulling trigger on xxl hightower but can't get past no coil option and fear it (or I) will die on lift/shuttle days. The megatower is too much bike.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Is that carbon that Revel uses the same stuff you use for your frames?
They don’t mention what specific material they are using, other than it is a thermoplastic carbon composite. It’s likely similar, but I’m not sure.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Yeah that post was brain fart.
Looks like 525-550 based on tf tuned.

I was/am really close to pulling trigger on xxl hightower but can't get past no coil option and fear it (or I) will die on lift/shuttle days. The megatower is too much bike.
My shop is a Santa Cruz dealer. I have ridden the Tallboy, Hightower, and Megatower extensively. I really hate to come in on someone's decision when they are 99% of the way there, but I personally didn't like the Hightower and feel like my issues with it would only be compounded the bigger/heavier I got. The tallboy (especially with a 140mm fork) feels just as capable on the descents and pedals way better. I LOVE that bike... it freaking rips everywhere. The hightower feels "stuck" in the middle of its travel--it doesn't snap out of corners as well as the tallboy and feels no more confidence inspiring or stable on the downs. I constantly feel like I am using too much travel on little bumps but not enough travel on the big stuff. The megatower also pedals way better than people give it credit for. At 235 if you want something "poppier", run an X2 air. It helps a TON with making the bike feel fun.

All that being said.... if you want a 145/160 bike that can hammer out a 40mi XC day on Saturday then get thrashed in the bike park on Sunday, get yourself a Smash and don't look back. ;-) My Smash in Crush mode feels like a slacked out Tallboy and in Plush mode feels Megatower-ish in that it will bulldoze anything in its path. :rockout:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What length DHX2 is it? The 2.25 I had on the Gen 1 Hightower would accept only reaaaly short coils, I guess it was only designed for the SLS. 2.5 coils were a no go. Even longer 2.25 Ti springs > 500lbs were a tight fit.

No such problems with a 2.25 Bomber.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What length DHX2 is it? The 2.25 I had on the Gen 1 Hightower would accept only reaaaly short coils, I guess it was only designed for the SLS. 2.5 coils were a no go. Even longer 2.25 Ti springs > 500lbs were a tight fit.

No such problems with a 2.25 Bomber.
He’s looking at The Smash, which uses a 60mm stroke shock, and not limited to short coils.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My shop is a Santa Cruz dealer. I have ridden the Tallboy, Hightower, and Megatower extensively. I really hate to come in on someone's decision when they are 99% of the way there, but I personally didn't like the Hightower and feel like my issues with it would only be compounded the bigger/heavier I got. The tallboy (especially with a 140mm fork) feels just as capable on the descents and pedals way better. I LOVE that bike... it freaking rips everywhere. The hightower feels "stuck" in the middle of its travel--it doesn't snap out of corners as well as the tallboy and feels no more confidence inspiring or stable on the downs. I constantly feel like I am using too much travel on little bumps but not enough travel on the big stuff. The megatower also pedals way better than people give it credit for. At 235 if you want something "poppier", run an X2 air. It helps a TON with making the bike feel fun.

All that being said.... if you want a 145/160 bike that can hammer out a 40mi XC day on Saturday then get thrashed in the bike park on Sunday, get yourself a Smash and don't look back. ;-) My Smash in Crush mode feels like a slacked out Tallboy and in Plush mode feels Megatower-ish in that it will bulldoze anything in its path. :rockout:
Goddammit.
Great feedback, thank you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Sounds more like a setup problem

If your shock came with any volume spacers try removing and running higher pressure.

A little more compression damping and a little less rebound will also decrease your dynamic sag.

Last edited:

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
First ride today on the Smash #Newbikeday!! I ended up running out of time last night and left the Helm at 150mm. The GeoAdjust cup was in the long position from GG and I left it that way for the inaugural rip. I asked Push for a “Trail” and “DH” tunes as apposed to the standard Smash setup which Push said has a bit more of a firm/climb setting (I should still be able to dial in a bit more LSC if desired). Today I only ran the bike in the plush frame setting but will be testing out crush on a tamer local network where I typically pull out the Pedalhead. I might be bias but GG made one hell of a good looking bike with this new Revved platform!
D7DE80E6-A5A1-443E-8285-3EE3114511BC.jpeg
DBDCF29A-C3FB-49BF-B8D3-E6ACC9800A77.jpeg
77B74619-8CC3-48D3-B3E8-A63962D9C826.jpeg
06B2E41E-B4BD-48FC-809B-398130732794.jpeg
8F90FEFB-0084-48C7-B365-D17762613C40.jpeg

I’m 6’2” and 215lb’s with a 34-35 inch inseam. I could easily run a 200+mm dropper if needed but the 185 that I currently have feels like plenty.

Coming from a size 3 AL Meat Pistol (with RS Superdeluxe Coil) this S4 in long is a decent bit roomier in terms of reach. I found it to be very comfortable on todays 3,000 foot climb over 6.5 miles consisting of 50% single track (with a good number of tight/steep switchbacks) and 50% fire-road. The as-received 11-6 “trail” tune (not sure where in the range the clickers are TBH, I need to look at the card) is a bit more active than the climb mode of the RS SDC that’s on the Meat Pistol while not having much on the ways of undue motion unless I was working hard out of the saddle. The difference between the trail and DH modes on the Push are very noticeably different, with trail being quite a bit more supportive and the DH setting allowing the wheel to really get out of the way when needed.

Coming down was pretty amazing to be honest; I was able to push hard and really find/feel the limits of traction on the leaf-covered corner as. Tires are DHF/2.5/EXO up front and AssGai/2.5/EXO+ In the back, this combo felt good, perhaps a bit slow rolling but traction was great. I set 3 PR’s on trails that I am not all that familiar with so that’s not much of an indicator but everything just felt right (with the exception of a clicking noise coming from the Helm with the LSC Near max).

Thanks to Sikocycles post I picked up some of the Wolftooth BRAD gear and came up with a setup that I am very happy with for water and gear storage. I do wish that I had purchased the mini strap/mount as it was designed for the half bottle adapters that I picked up (that allow me to have storage next to the upper bottle location); the medium size that I picked up from my LBS sticks out visually but I had plenty of knee clearance so I’ll probably keep it and enjoy the added capacity. Also of note is the fact that I have the Wolftooth Encase toolset in the ENVE handlebars; besides being a PITA to install due to a too small ID of the ENVE’s I was really impressed when I used them for a couple adjustments to the controls and saddle during the ride.

Thats all I have for now, I’m looking forward to putting many more miles on this very capable bike and feel that it and my Pedalhead make for a great two bike stable for the type of riding I do. So far my impression is that GG hit out out of the park with this bike for the aggressive rider and the fact that I can fit all the water and gear I need is icing on the cake.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I overestimated a bit but close. It’s a nice mountain with a good 6000+ feet’s of vertical to play on when snow levels allow for it; your climbing up that 6k on some decently steep fire-roads and some pretty nice trail.
A2AB74D8-63B0-4DF4-9FD3-665DE1995522.jpeg

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sounds more like a setup problem

If your shock came with any volume spacers try removing and running higher pressure.

A little more compression damping and a little less rebound will also decrease your dynamic sag.
Its one of the shop's rentals so I'm not sure how motivated I am to tinker with it, but I will certainly keep this in mind if a customer has similar complaints/feedback. Thanks a bunch for the info.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Short ride in the books. Need to get used to this new fangled geometry but the bike rides nice.
need tune suspension.
C55A00E0-FCA6-4E17-8FF3-383E1DCF816E.jpeg
BA2A99F1-A1D4-4A37-A659-0C92A717B28E.jpeg
BA2A99F1-A1D4-4A37-A659-0C92A717B28E.jpeg

Last edited: