i was gonna do battleship grey...but i went another direction

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
sh*t scared said:
I´m with you there, you just cant do a Hardcore bike in Pink :nope:
hardcore?
wow, just for that i should get my racelink re-painted pink.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
maybe a copper color or something will go to the diy shop and see what paint colors they have and will hopefully get something there

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
sh*t scared said:
I´m with you there, you just cant do a Hardcore bike in Pink :nope:

um.. actually just the opposite.
don't do pink cuz it's already being done :evil: :heart: :oink:

that 'dirt' color on the 2005 Konas looks hot too

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
so do many hoods go for sale as in second hand ones,have decided once i have money that im going to get a copper colored one

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I updated some parts on the Hood and took a few pics today. I finally got the 24" front wheel built, a trail pimp laced to a 6" seismic hub. I also added a nyc freeride blox stem, profile ss dh cranks, and some roach bike armour. It rides pretty nice with dual 24s'. Because the gazzy 3.0s are so big, it pretty much rolls over the same things a standard 26" would, but I wouldn't race it dh with the 24" up front, I still have the 26" trail pimp / hadley / maxxis mobster 2.7 for that. Here are the pics:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
ChrisRobin said:
That's a gorgeous fork.
I was looking forward to getting the new version of it that mojo suspension is making, but I inquired about it last week and they said that it had been sidelined by the new fox dh forks (mojo is the big fox distributor in the uk). It should be out eventually, hopefully.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
RD3 said:
I was looking forward to getting the new version of it that mojo suspension is making, but I inquired about it last week and they said that it had been sidelined by the new fox dh forks (mojo is the big fox distributor in the uk). It should be out eventually, hopefully.
I hope it comes out becasue it looks pretty sick.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
RD3 said:
Are they designing a whole new fork based on the Fat design, or essentially copying the construction but just modernizing the internals?

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Looks real good RD3, i´m just having a siesmic built into a doublewide 24 for my Hood, cat wait to see how it rides. Also just changed the crappy Hope brakes to Magura gustav 2005´s, and bought a Hopey Steering damper. Next on the list is the Thickbikes.com bars and then maybe a respray. What saddle is that you´re running, looks well trick!!

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
rd3 that ride is sick,looks so good and i cant wait till i have enought money for my hood.**** yours also sounds sick and the hoods rule at the end of the day.good work guy and when i get mine it will sure be up here first :)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
RD3 said:
I updated some parts on the Hood and took a few pics today. I finally got the 24" front wheel built, a trail pimp laced to a 6" seismic hub. I also added a nyc freeride blox stem, profile ss dh cranks, and some roach bike armour. It rides pretty nice with dual 24s'. Because the gazzy 3.0s are so big, it pretty much rolls over the same things a standard 26" would, but I wouldn't race it dh with the 24" up front, I still have the 26" trail pimp / hadley / maxxis mobster 2.7 for that. Here are the pics:
that bike is crazy! glad to see people still building BIG bikes for the sake of just having something fun to ride. excellent job!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It would be good to see if the mojo guys could take a regular FAT fork and upgrade it. It would be like buying a really high-end fork for cheap after it's all said and done.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hey RD, I've been messing w/ my Dirt Quad fork and got some insights for ya:
Apparantly, I had an IFP version from Marc Weir. Found a depression on the spring legs' (in the IFP one, the spring is in the right leg) stanchion so I bought another non-IFP Quad ($400.00 w/ frt wheel, stem and 6" kit, and spare spring). The non-IFP version had rebound dampening and spring in one leg and a dummy leg for the other. I took my original IFP rebound damper leg, and the spring/dampener leg of the non-IFP fork and made one fork good fork. In the non-IFP, I flipped the piston over and re-shimmed so now I've got a compression dampener w/ a pretty soft spring for my left leg, and an IFP rebound dampener on the right. I also changed the oil to Spectra Gold 2.5 wt. It feel soooo much better than my old setup.

I really want those new carbon protectors on the X1 :D

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Pau11y said:
Hey RD, I've been messing w/ my Dirt Quad fork and got some insights for ya:
Apparantly, I had an IFP version from Marc Weir. Found a depression on the spring legs' (in the IFP one, the spring is in the right leg) stanchion so I bought another non-IFP Quad ($400.00 w/ frt wheel, stem and 6" kit, and spare spring). The non-IFP version had rebound dampening and spring in one leg and a dummy leg for the other. I took my original IFP rebound damper leg, and the spring/dampener leg of the non-IFP fork and made one fork good fork. In the non-IFP, I flipped the piston over and re-shimmed so now I've got a compression dampener w/ a pretty soft spring for my left leg, and an IFP rebound dampener on the right. I also changed the oil to Spectra Gold 2.5 wt. It feel soooo much better than my old setup.

I really want those new carbon protectors on the X1 :D
Can we get some pictures of the fork? :) :rolleyes: ;)

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
sh*t scared said:
Looks real good RD3, i´m just having a siesmic built into a doublewide 24 for my Hood, cat wait to see how it rides. Also just changed the crappy Hope brakes to Magura gustav 2005´s, and bought a Hopey Steering damper. Next on the list is the Thickbikes.com bars and then maybe a respray. What saddle is that you´re running, looks well trick!!
The saddle is an azonic love seat, the new models look a little different than this one. Why didn't you like the hope brakes? Mine work really good after I burned them in. The magura brakes are great too, my friend has a set. Post some new pics of your Hood when you get the new wheel built up, it sounds like a very trick set-up you will have.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm probably just talking to myself here but the Mojo FAT fork is 'made' differently compared to the original Mr.Dirt FAT...look at the dropouts, one has the offset while the other doesn't.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
ChrisRobin said:
I'm probably just talking to myself here but the Mojo FAT fork is 'made' differently compared to the original Mr.Dirt FAT...look at the dropouts, one has the offset while the other doesn't.
Right, the original mr dirt dropouts were 17mm and it used as special hub. The mojo version has regular 20mm dropouts. I have some custom adapters to let me run any 20mm hub on my fork. The crowns (a very strong, yet light design) and the uppers on the mojo fork are basically the same, the lowers from the mojo version should fit into the older uppers. The internals are where the similarities end. The mojo has some super sweet ti internals with performance improvements all around. For its application the mr dirt is pretty light, usually around 8.5lbs, so the mojo version should be a little lighter.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Pau11y,
I didn't know they made the other version, were only a few made like that? It sounds like you have it set up really nice having internals in both legs, that was a cool idea to do that, bet it feels good.

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
RD3 said:
The saddle is an azonic love seat, the new models look a little different than this one. Why didn't you like the hope brakes? Mine work really good after I burned them in. The magura brakes are great too, my friend has a set. Post some new pics of your Hood when you get the new wheel built up, it sounds like a very trick set-up you will have.
I had a 6ti and a Mono m4 on the rear. I found that here in Spain, some of the rides are real steep and technical, so you are on the brakes an awful lot of the time, and when i needed an 'extra' handful of stopping (you know, rounding a corner, and big 30" rock in the way) the 6ti had no more to offer. I changed the hoses to goodridge, pads to EBC, bled them and re-shimmed them until i was blue in the face, but just couldn´t get the amount of bite I wanted. So i am awaiting delivery of my Gustavs. I am also considering a fork like the Mr Dirt. How do you find the performance compared to say a monster T, oh, and how did you get the siesmic to fit it?

Scot

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
sh*t scared said:
I had a 6ti and a Mono m4 on the rear. I found that here in Spain, some of the rides are real steep and technical, so you are on the brakes an awful lot of the time, and when i needed an 'extra' handful of stopping (you know, rounding a corner, and big 30" rock in the way) the 6ti had no more to offer. I changed the hoses to goodridge, pads to EBC, bled them and re-shimmed them until i was blue in the face, but just couldn´t get the amount of bite I wanted. So i am awaiting delivery of my Gustavs. I am also considering a fork like the Mr Dirt. How do you find the performance compared to say a monster T, oh, and how did you get the siesmic to fit it?

Scot
I ahve used a Mr Dirt Quad Bypass. By the way it was set up, it was much softer than a Monster T, softer than my Shiver even but it might have just had been the way it was set up by the previous rider.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
sh*t scared,
Fork preformance depends a lot on how each individual fork is adjusted. I have a brief amount of time on a new monster t fork, it has better adjustment and dampening; and was a little softer over slow speed stuff, than the mr dirt. The mr dirt is smooth and bottomless, the nice crowns make it stiff. It also needs very little maintenance, the seals are very industrial and last a long time. It is super easy to work on, and its all beautifully machined metal inside, no plastic bits to break. Mine has custom adapters that let it work with any 20mm hub and a custom IS brake adapter to run the hope brake, there were no clearence issues with the seismic hub, just space everything out correctly.

You should wait until the new mojo x-1 fork is out, I will see if I can get a better idea of when and what it will cost. I think Bob Barnett is still doing some of the machine work for them, he is the creator of the original fork and hand assembled each one. You should also check out the new avy DHF-8-Mt, it looks really killer, has crowns like the mr dirt. The Foes carnutt is nice to, probably better for race apps though.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
the mojo x1 forks should be out soon but i think because of the fox 40 commin out it delladed them a little,will be good when they come out thought

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
RD3 said:
Pau11y,
I didn't know they made the other version, were only a few made like that? It sounds like you have it set up really nice having internals in both legs, that was a cool idea to do that, bet it feels good.
I'm not sure how many were made w/ the IFP, but it seems like it's a "works" fork. Also, and this may have just been how Marc had set his up, but it was wicked stiff and not compliant at all over small stuff. I've been looking for springs for mine for forever, and finally found something that might work w the FAT from Progressive. They have a whole list of springs. I just need to measure out one from Mr. Dirt (have several) and figure out the rate somehow. I'm running the spring that came from the non-IFP fork I bought now and it's MUCH softer. It was so much so that I was a bit worried about bottoming. This is what prompted me to rig up some sort of compression dampener. There will have to be some fine tuning, maybe to the extent of me getting out my dremel and making it a Quint Bypass on the compression side to increase the speed of it going down (altho I haven't explored other shim stack configs yet).

Also, I think my seals haven't even broken in yet. I was told by Bob that once it's broke in, it's butta-smooth. Mine is still a bit grabby. I think Marc had Bob redo his fork before he sold it, and maybe it received new seals. I've had my IFP for close to 3 years now, altho I've only ridden it one full summer hard. I've tried polishing my legs w/ some 400, then 600 grit wet w/ oil and it did help a bit.

DH biker said:
Can we get some pictures of the fork?
It doesn't look any different than your regular FAT, except I have a dial/knob on top of each leg instead of just one.

Edit: I heard something to the effect that the X1 is going to be a Nitro charged fork...could just be an e-rumor tho. I also heard that they're going w/ a 20mm axle instead of the 17mm. I haven't heard anything about weight. My fork w/ the dual internals and 1/2 Liter of oil is nothing short of an anvil. I hope Mojo does something to lighten it up and make it competitive in the race scene. Maybe even an integrated stem...?