Quantcast

New Trek Session 88 DH and FR version

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Er, no thanks!

The UK frame Price is £1800 thats $3100. I havent seen decent frames with a CCDB for that money.
Supreme dh sells at go-ride with no shock for 2199$ plus they got a ccdb for 650$ ;)
m6 goes for around that price if I'm not wrong.

BTW. Usually form what I see frame price in UK /= frame price in US. That's why it's a deal.

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
OK, so it's 27 inches (68.58cm) from bottom bracket to centre of headtube.

And the cranks are definitely 170mm.

Check out all the different units of measurement going on here....

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
So I had a chance to ride the DH version for most of the day at Highland Mountain, NH today (same mountain where Trek had their release of the bike last spring). Here are my thoughts:

1. Sizing. I'm 5'9", have ridden mediums all my life, but all they had to test in the DH version was a Large. The cockpit felt a little on the long side, but it was also specced with a stem that was probably 65 - 75mm. I have a 30" inseam, and I had to slam the post all the way down to get to where I could sit on the seat and have my feet relatively flat on the ground. I did get to sit and pedal around on the medium, too (albeit the FR version), and this felt a hair cramped in the cockpit, but the seat was seat was slid forward pretty far on the post, and it was running a 50mm stem. I felt comfortable on the large, but the fact that I could never get the seat any lower was a big concern - when I'm riding gnarly trails I'm not familiar with, it's nice to get that seat as low as possible, IMO. I'd probably shoot for a Medium if I had my choice (and possibly run a hair longer stem/slide the seat back a bit if necessary)

2. Suspension. Something important to note: the size L frame comes with a heavier spring than the size M. The L was definitely oversprung for me at 160 lbs. That being said, the bike still soaked up bumps very well. Due to the heavier spring, it definintely had a more 'on top of the bike' feel as opposed to an 'in the bike' feel, but you could still feel the bike absorbing bumps incredibly well. And the pedalling? Holy sh!t. Up to this point, my standard for awesome pedalling has always been the Sunday and DW link setup, but the great pedalling performance on that thing always seemed a bit of a waste to me because the BB was so low that you couldn't pedal unless it was relatively smooth for fear of nailing your pedals on rocks. The Session pedaled no worse than the Sunday, and with a slightly higher BB, it made it easy to pedal just about anywhere. The bike was an absolute ROCKET under power. I'm not sure if this is a result of the suspension design or the custom valving in the shock, but really, who cares?? It was one fast mofo.
3. Geometry. The best thing I can say here is that I don't have anything to say at all. It felt very comfortable from the first rip down the hill. I rode two different tracks that I raced on just 3 weeks ago, and I guarantee you I rode both faster on my first rip on the Session than I did in my race runs on my Shocker. It was stunning.
4. Weight. Fuggetaboutit. 38 pounds out of the box, and you could easily drop 2 more pounds with a few simple changes.
5. Parts spec. The Elixers were plenty strong, but the little break away device had been broken, so if you let go of the levers, they fell forward almost out of reach. That was a little disconcerting. The tires were actually a pleasant surprise. I had heard much bitching about them on here and in other places, but they hooked up great all day. The dirt was admittedly almost perfect, but they hooked up so well that a couple of times I tried sliding the rear end out into a corner I couldn't get the tires to let go. That was kind of cool. The shifting was jacked on the bike, but I guess that's expected being that it's a demo. The wheels took a beating with no problems, and the Mr. P chainguide was surprisingly fine (I was hoping to hate it :-). Pedals and cranks were fine, though I'd probably swap both out for lighter stuff if it were my bike. Handlebars were nice and wide, and the seat was comfy. The stock post seemed a little cheezy, and you couldn't quite drop it all the way due to some weird bulge near the very top of it.
6. General riding impressions. As mentioned earlier, the bike is a f@cking missle when pointed downhill and under power. It's so rigid laterally and tortionally, too, that turns amazingly well and just really inspires confidence when you're coming way too hot into rutted out turns. It corners better than anything I've ridden (except maybe my WR250F). But even with all of this great stuff going on, the way the bike jumps deserves special attention. I hit 90-95% of the big stuff at Highland (and if you've never been there, there's some f-ing huge stuff on that small mountain), and it felt incredibly stable and balanced in flight. It had an amazing pop off the lip of jumps, and I can honestly say that I felt as comfortable or more comfortable on this bike (which was a little too big and over sprung for me) than I do on my Shocker that I've been riding 3 seasons now. It really floored me.

That's about it. Bravo to Trek for putting together one badass package with no noticeable weakness.

Special note: Does everyone remember the 32 lbs version of this bike that some Trek employees built up? My friend Chris, the chick who drives a trailer full of Treks around for demos, said that they do indeed plan to sell this version of the bike to the public sometime in '09. Can't even imagine what the retail price will be!

--JP

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
So I had a chance to ride the DH version for most of the day at Highland Mountain, NH today (same mountain where Trek had their release of the bike last spring). Here are my thoughts:
--JP
Thanks for sharing ! :clapping:
I'm exactly the same size/weight, so I'm quite interested !
Weren't ya on a DHR a few years ago ? Then a Sunday & actually a Shocker ?
I'm running DHR's since 04 and after a few measures, consider the Medium to be equivalent to the Turner. And that's what I'm gonna buy.

So it pedals very well, Robz already told us about it, and yours was oversprung, so it should pedal even better !!! What was the spring ?

Robz another one for ya (as I've an RCS 350 ti spring left) could you please tell me what comes with the Med ? And what's your weight ?
One more, have you looked after the pivot of the Fox forks ? Is it 1 1/8 all the way or not ?

JP, to get to 32lbs, you just have to throw away the Fox forks, Saint cranks, Bonty stuff !
I think around 35lbs would be very fine so probably keeping the Saint ...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well no, being oversprung a bike will always pedal better than being correctly sprung, or sprung too soft. I haven't ridden the trek but IMO that's what makes the dw-link bikes special, you can run them ridiculously soft (33-36% sag) and still have them pedalling pretty damn well.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Special note: Does everyone remember the 32 lbs version of this bike that some Trek employees built up? My friend Chris, the chick who drives a trailer full of Treks around for demos, said that they do indeed plan to sell this version of the bike to the public sometime in '09. Can't even imagine what the retail price will be!

are they serious,wow that would be so sick but super pricy i think.Who ever buy's it is 1 lucky bastard for owning the ligthest DH race bike on the planet.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
are they serious,wow that would be so sick but super pricy i think.Who ever buy's it is 1 lucky bastard for owning the ligthest DH race bike on the planet.
I hate to be the naysayer in this lovefest, but theres plenty of bikes that are 35 lbs. The important part is that they're coming with DP tires and DH wheels, rather then light AM/single ply tires. I'm sure there'd be a number of 32 lb socoms, morewoods, sunns, jedi's, etc if people were taking to single ply tires and XC/AM rims. Frankly I'd rather ride a 35 lb bike with i9's and 823's and DP tires for DH then a 32 pound bike with king earls to duster rims with bonty tires.

to each their own, it looks like a ridiculously savage build, and I'd for sure rock it, just at that point its losing its "DH bike" hood

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Well no, being oversprung a bike will always pedal better than being correctly sprung, or sprung too soft. I haven't ridden the trek but IMO that's what makes the dw-link bikes special, you can run them ridiculously soft (33-36% sag) and still have them pedalling pretty damn well.
Agreed. I also had a chance to pedal around the Size M (FR Version) bike with the lighter spring as well. I didn't do any proper DH runs, but I did hammer it up some small hills and do a couple sprints on flat ground. It pedaled brilliantly, too, with plenty of sag.

I'm with you on the Sunday pedaling great, but I never felt like I could take full advantage of that awesome benefit due to always nailing my cranks and pedals on the ground.

--JP

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
The medium comes with a 450lb spring. I weigh 98kg - 216lbs. I haven't made my mind up about the spring yet. It certainly wasn't too soft - felt about right.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Weren't ya on a DHR a few years ago ? Then a Sunday & actually a Shocker ?
So it pedals very well, Robz already told us about it, and yours was oversprung, so it should pedal even better !!! What was the spring ?
One more, have you looked after the pivot of the Fox forks ? Is it 1 1/8 all the way or not ?
Correct on my bikes. Good memory!

I can't recall the exact spring weight, but I want to say it was a 550# . . . don't quote me on that, though.

The steerer tube on the Fox 40 was 1.125 all the way through. They use a reducing headset in the bottom.

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Hi guys,

Have you got these infos, please ? :brows:

Trek Session 88 DH shock size info :

Upper & lower shocks mount kit sizes

The width matches the distance between the mounting lugs on the main frame, swinging arm or linkage plates. The diameter matches the mount bolt or mount pin diameter (usually 6 or 8mm).

Thanks
Eric

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
The medium comes with a 450lb spring. I weigh 98kg - 216lbs. I haven't made my mind up about the spring yet. It certainly wasn't too soft - felt about right.
Wooooooooooooh ! 450 for a medium ... I'm used to running a 350 on my DHR.
OK the cinetic's not the same but ??? If it's ok for ya at 98kgs ??? Strange they come with such a spring, you're not really the average guy.
The steerer tube on the Fox 40 was 1.125 all the way through.
Thanks, just wanted to be sure as I'm not going to keep those big forks.

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
I will measure the shock tomorrow.

Yeah, It surprised me that I didn't have to replace the spring as I have had to do this on every-single other bike I have bought.

Need to stop eating and lifting so many weights!:poster_oops:

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
as the bolts look rather large it could be something special as the ironhorse 10mm shock hardware. couldn't you take a look at the inside? I asked Trek via mail but they mostly answer wrong stuff (they said the bike is to have icsg05, but it has iscg-old...)

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France

Boxxer 2009 1/2 , Boy Stoy with titanium Spring, Elixir CR black, Boxxer direct mount stem, Deemax 2009,...

Photoshop...of course :banana:

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Hello Froggy :biggrin:
Well ... this S' toy looks like a red nose ... the Fox will make it !
Thanks for the DMax that's what was planned, can you please put a 09 E-13 LG1 on it and throw away this bulky seat ? :brows:
Pas de problème mon p'tit gars :biggrin:

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
Here's a shot from Semenuk with the bike he had at the Rampage! Definitly like the black one better...

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Lesson #1
Merci beaucoup mec ! = Thanks a lot guy !
:rofl:

...With Fox DHX 5.0 & RCS titanium spring,Twenty6 white Boxxer direct mount stem, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, RaceFace Atlas FR cranks,...

Et oui "ça déchire sa mémé" ...ED75 je te laisse traduire ;)

Last edited: