Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've had MT7s... the feel of the Dominions is better. And you can get them aligned so the pads don't rub constantly. And you don't need to overfill the rear when bleeding to get them to feel the same.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had MT7s... the feel of the Dominions is better. And you can get them aligned so the pads don't rub constantly. And you don't need to overfill the rear when bleeding to get them to feel the same.
That alignment screw is a good idea to overcome the keying of interface.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Finally built the back wheel up, felt like a genius when I used a cable tie to help with the CushCore install, had it in and inflated in maybe 5mins.
IMGP8430.jpg

First time not running a DH cased Minion for a long time, I think there's an 11/10 chance I'll regret my decision.

4619258562001312750.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Finally built the back wheel up, felt like a genius when I used a cable tie to help with the CushCore install, had it in and inflated in maybe 5mins.

First time not running a DH cased Minion for a long time, I think there's an 11/10 chance I'll regret my decision.

View attachment 179487

I've only heard good stuff about the new Contis, but that casing looks thin?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I’m confused about the Conti tire range but that one looks fun! Let us know how it goes.
@HardtailHack
It wouldn't be German if it wasn't confusing. I wish they would list the durometer or make the DH casing tire in the Endurance compund, in the past I think a soft Enduro tire was a harder compound than a soft DH tire.
Sounds like the trail/endurance tire might be made outside of Germany and from what I remember all the non German Contis fell apart.

It's going on a XC dually, I have only had DH bikes or hardtails and haven't ridden a dually for nearly 10yrs so for me a Nevegal on the rear would probably feel grippy.
Still a month or so till the frame is done anyway.

I've only heard good stuff about the new Contis, but that casing looks thin?
It is a kilo 27.5" tire, it's not paper thin but it has a fairly even wall thickness, my Contis in the past have had their protection in the lower sidewall and towards the top so they rode pretty weirdly as there was only a small section of thinner casing.
It is also still at about the same pressure I inflated the thing to yesterday and that is with no sealant, the old ones used to piss air through the sidewalls, seems promising.

EDIT- The 2.4" Kryptotal R measures pretty much bang on 60mm wide on a 30mm internal rim, Slightly used 2.5" Minion DHF was 62mm on a Flow EX something I think.
IMG_20220724_123315.jpg

I have a big toe for a thumb.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So let's go tap it and add a screw, what could possibly go wrong?
I'd hope they wouldn't be tapping an oval hole, it's the bottom surface of the caliper mount.
My old MT5s seemed to look a bit better in regards to quality of finish and they don't have the little tab that supposedly snaps off at the lever.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'd hope they wouldn't be tapping an oval hole, it's the bottom surface of the caliper mount.
My old MT5s seemed to look a bit better in regards to quality of finish and they don't have the little tab that supposedly snaps off at the lever.
I hope so too and I hope neither are you.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They were only like $330 shipped from R2 Bike. I couldn't say no at that point.
Were they the ones that are listed as a set for ~300 euro plus shipping? The description is a little unclear but it calls them a "set" so that's two brakes, right?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Were they the ones that are listed as a set for ~300 euro plus shipping? The description is a little unclear but it calls them a "set" so that's two brakes, right?
They're 137EU each at Bike-Discount. It says 164EU when the page loads, but if you change the destination to the US the price drops.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Bought my A4's from R2 a couple years ago.
Brakes, rotors and adapters, shipped to Canuckistan was 400 us taxes in.

Just checked some tires.
29" EXO+ MaxxGrip Assegai and MaxxTerra Dissector.
Canada 123.00 Cdn each - Bike discount 122 Cdn for both.
Fucking shameful.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Mine were like 150 euros each plus shipping, but euro to dollar is like 1:1 right now. Shipping was 30.

Loving the brakes btw.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mine were like 150 euros each plus shipping, but euro to dollar is like 1:1 right now. Shipping was 30.

Loving the brakes btw.
Thanks. I've got a buddy who's been reliably blowing up a set of XTs every 6 months for the last several years and I'm trying to convince him to give up and try A4s. That price should help.

Glad you're liking them!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks. I've got a buddy who's been reliably blowing up a set of XTs every 6 months for the last several years and I'm trying to convince him to give up and try A4s. That price should help.

Glad you're liking them!
I have a friend on the same program and he even broke his back from looping out on a manual with xt brakes. He finally converted and is happy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just need a frame and a shock now.
IMGP8914.jpg

The Wolf Tooth headset is like a Cane Creek, the bearing is a loose fit in the cup, should have stayed with Acros for the lower headsets.
I'll put some bearing retainer in the cup when I mount the fork.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
After several months waiting patiently, the frame finally showed up a few days ago! Super happy at how it turned out, it really exceeds my expectations. I think this is the best bike I've ever had and it's been a long time since I've had that much fun on a bike.

Kona Honzo ESD 2022 (Med)
Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
XX1 11sp
XT crankset
Flow MK4 on RaceFace Vault hubs
31.0lbs
20220730_ESD Maiden ride_50.jpg

20220730_ESD-Front_50.jpg

20220730_ESD-Side_b_50.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After several months waiting patiently, the frame finally showed up a few days ago! Super happy at how it turned out, it really exceeds my expectations. I think this is the best bike I've ever had and it's been a long time since I've had that much fun on a bike.

Kona Honzo ESD 2022 (Med)
Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
XX1 11sp
XT crankset
Flow MK4 on RaceFace Vault hubs
31.0lbs
View attachment 179930

View attachment 179931

View attachment 179932

Nice. Modern hardtails are a riot.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Angular contact bearings aren’t supposed to be pressfit. They ride on the race.
Huh, what about BB bearings? All the ones I have have been pressed in and they are ACBs.

To me it's just looks like lazy manufacturing, why press a bearing in when you can just use shitty tolerances to remove a production step..........

I have had no issues with the Acros headsets and the outer race is an interference fit in the cup, my CC 40 series headsets always ended up with the bottom cup getting polished fore and aft from the bearing moving slightly.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To me it's just looks like lazy manufacturing, why press a bearing in when you can just use shitty tolerances to remove a production step..........
It isn't though. It's to facilitate the inevitable bearing replacement (being a wear item) in a much easier fashion. But go ahead and put some bearing retainer in there and you can replace the whole lower assembly when the bearing wears out ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It isn't though. It's to facilitate the inevitable bearing replacement (being a wear item) in a much easier fashion. But go ahead and put some bearing retainer in there and you can replace the whole lower assembly when the bearing wears out ;)
Yeah but there's a press at work and I'm sure I can find a spare minute of my time.

I could see it being somewhat useful if the headtube is a bit wonky, it might let the bearing wear in to the cup rather than wearing the bearing and making the seal less effective.
I am okay with replacing a whole lower assembly every three or four years, after cracking a cup 3/4 of the way around a bunch of years ago I am happy to call a headset a consumable.
My current Acros is four years old and feels okay.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Huh, what about BB bearings? All the ones I have have been pressed in and they are ACBs.

I have had no issues with the Acros headsets and the outer race is an interference fit in the cup, my CC 40 series headsets always ended up with the bottom cup getting polished fore and aft from the bearing moving slightly.
I think he means tapered bearings.