Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
These can help greatly.
View attachment 180518
Adding a little bit of lube on the edge of the nipple and then the spoke threads and never any wind-up problems, plus, it helps to provide a little more barrier for the corrosion. I haven't had wind-up problems since I built my first few wheels. Putting on spokes/nipples dry is a huge no-no. There are also some compounds I used that did not work well. Even "regular spoke prep" was crap, it dries too quickly and when it does, they start winding up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I meant for seized/corroded spokes and nipples (and straight pull, of course).
Ahh, that context makes more sense, although that’s where the protection of the threads helps immensely, but I recall some old janky ones that were welded together years before.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I meant for loosening seized/corroded spokes and nipples (and straight pull, of course).
Yeah, I have the worst luck with straight pull spokes, which have really only been on carbon wheels. Roval, specifically. Love the wheelset but the nip will back up into the threads so much that it's almost impossible to "unseize" it as the straight pull spoke just spins. Wish I knew about this tool like 4 years ago. Thanks for posting!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
What’s with the stupid fucking nipple washers, eh, DT?
I’m looking at YOU.
If it's an alloy rim, and there is no eyelet, they help immensely with alloy nipples not breaking over time from getting scored on the sharp edge of the spoke hole.

If it's a carbon rim, they protect the carbon from being worn during lacing/tensioning and truing.

They are great, I use them all the time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If it's an alloy rim, and there is no eyelet, they help immensely with alloy nipples not breaking over time from getting scored on the sharp edge of the spoke hole.

If it's a carbon rim, they protect the carbon from being worn during lacing/tensioning and truing.

Then why not use these? oh, because then the rim would look marginally heavier on paper and in ad copy. Those Mavic eyelets were the best.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ha! Not for me when it comes to single-purpose tools, I hate that shit and try to avoid them if I can. Here's my favorite latest example: https://bikerumor.com/muc-off-e-bike-drivetrain-tool/

"Why use one of the zillion 5 mm allen wrenches you have around when you can buy a specific tool for the job? Oh, and you also need to swing your chain guide out of the way, but it's cool man, it's anodized! And it has a handy cord! Yay!!"

Muc-Off-e-Bike-Drivetrain-Tool-solves-chain-lube-maintenance-trouble_spin-it-to-win-it.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ha! Not for me when it comes to single-purpose tools, I hate that shit and try to avoid them if I can. Here's my favorite latest example: https://bikerumor.com/muc-off-e-bike-drivetrain-tool/

"Why use one of the zillion 5 mm allen wrenches you have around when you can buy a specific tool for the job? Oh, and you also need to swing your chain guide out of the way, but it's cool man, it's anodized! And it has a handy cord! Yay!!"

View attachment 180631
E-bikes only?
Good. :monkey:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
My brain forgot the days of 19mm rims.

And fuck you to whoever thought 4 bolt rotors were a good idea.

Donor wheels, so I'm dealing.

20220821_142636.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Jesus, I started with disc brakes in 1999 and didnt have to put up with that BS. Wasnt the 4 bolt started with Amp or something?
I think old Formula had this "standard", Sachs and Coda as well. Not sure if they were all the same diameter or just coincidentally all 4 bolt with differen BCDs.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I think old Formula had this "standard", Sachs and Coda as well. Not sure if they were all the same diameter or just coincidentally all 4 bolt with differen BCDs.

Coda was Cannondale house brand stuff.

Either way. FTS.

This is a Coda branded hub with a Maguira rotor.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I had non-standard-bcd 6 bolt-rotors on my 1999 Marin B17. Those Diatech disc brakes were the worst brakes ever made, cantilever and u-brakes included. They were floating on pins too, so you could hear them rattling and rubbing all the time. It was such a relief when I swapped those out for cheap v-brakes (and sold the bike).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Yeah, I never used to have problems with alloy nipples with old school rims with eyelets. Without eyelets they quickly corrode and break. I assume scratching off the anodization helps promote galvonic corrosion not to mention being a stress riser. Have had zero problems with alloy and carbon rims with the washers. Of course one could just use brass nipples but I like the idea of alloy nipples being a fuseable link protecting the rim when shit goes really sideways. I had a little disaster this winter when a stick jammed in my rear wheel and took out 90 degrees worth of spokes. Alloy nipples broke except for one brass nipple I somehow managed to get mixed up in there and it tore out of the rim.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
This thing rips! The light frame and lots of creamy damping makes for a real fun ride.

View attachment 180876
It looks a lot like a Ransom but the rocker doesn't ring any bell...
Did you do something to the cinematic or just had the rocker's plates held together for more stiffness?
I see that you still have a trunnion shock but upside-down now