Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If you get them let me know how you like them. When cruising flat or climbing I ride with thumbs over the top of the bar. Helps with numbness from nerve issues.
I've already installed them on my bike but haven't been able to take it out for a pedal. You know sometimes things just feel right? That's these. After I installed them, I came back an hour later to grab my bike and throw in truck. Didn't even realize I was using the TOGS when I swung the bike up on its back tire to spin it in the room. For such a rinkydink thing I am impressed. We will see after I get some rides in.

The clamping mechanism is a little weak - I had to use my plumber pliers to squeeze everything together so I could start some threads into the nut. They don't seem to want to clamp down hard - the nut just spins in the plastic housing it sits in. Maybe that's a good thing?

Resized_20220803_100346.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've already installed them on my bike but haven't been able to take it out for a pedal. You know sometimes things just feel right? That's these. After I installed them, I came back an hour later to grab my bike and throw in truck. Didn't even realize I was using the TOGS when I swung the bike up on its back tire to spin it in the room. For such a rinkydink thing I am impressed. We will see after I get some rides in.

The clamping mechanism is a little weak - I had to use my plumber pliers to squeeze everything together so I could start some threads into the nut. They don't seem to want to clamp down hard - the nut just spins in the plastic housing it sits in. Maybe that's a good thing?

View attachment 180024
Those things look thirsty.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
cable job: BOTCH
I didn't cut them and they need to be re-cut but I am just riding it and trying not to look.

They look bigger than what online makes them seem. I guess I'm still undecided
Yeah I did not pay for these and am still saying wtf is going on here. Considering this bike has a 29" wheel and a RS fork I am just shrugging my shoulders and giving shit a chance.

*edit

Resized_20220806_080354.jpeg

Put about 50 miles down with these TOGS on my bike. I won't take them off yet but am not sure how much they're doing for me. It does give the thumb-over position more leverage and purpose. I did use them and messed with the angle of the dangle several times considering when tight they're not 100% secure. I can see the usefulness but at the same time my hands aren't used to it and it seems like I could end up with some flavor of over-use thumb pain.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Big ol' gulp from the high single pivot jug!
Rapid succession of Enduro->Spire->Claymore with the same parts, this one is the lightest yet and geo is perfection.

I have not ridden a high pivot since a Zerode DH bike many moons ago (with @ianjenn no less), excited to get it in the rox!

View attachment 180251

View attachment 180252
I looked at the Deviate trial bike when I was considering options last year. The eleventy billion parts making up the linkage and pivots put me off :p

Good looking bike you have there though.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I looked at the Deviate trial bike when I was considering options last year. The eleventy billion parts making up the linkage and pivots put me off :p

Good looking bike you have there though.
Have you looked at a Specialized Enduro?
6 pivot points (2 of which are co-axial), a bucket of spacers/axles, a Trunnion mount, and about 200 teeny tiny bearings.

A big part of getting a Deviate was the simplicity of it.
A pivot on the frame, a pivot on the rear, and a simple linkage consisting of 3 robust parts.

linkage.jpg

What did you think of the Spire?
Good bike in general, but wanted to try something different.
Pretty much the same as I have experienced with every Transition. They are solid and CS is great, but the product is not very highly engineered. A bit long and slack for me as well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have you looked at a Specialized Enduro?
6 pivot points (2 of which are co-axial), a bucket of spacers/axles, a Trunnion mount, and about 200 teeny tiny bearings.

A big part of getting a Deviate was the simplicity of it.
A pivot on the frame, a pivot on the rear, and a simple linkage consisting of 3 robust parts.

View attachment 180271

Good bike in general, but wanted to try something different.
Pretty much the same as I have experienced with every Transition. They are solid and CS is great, but the product is not very highly engineered. A bit long and slack for me as well.
Screenshot 2022-08-08 170236.jpg

:D

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
gonna need a ride report from the chunk and steeps for that one!
A few rides and so far damn good! Gobbles the chunk going up or down, "elongating" rear isn't all that noticeable in a negative way, it still rips the corners quite well. Frame is solid, feels stiffer than the SC Hightower.
I woudn't call it a snappy climber, but it motors up everything if you stay on the saddle and keep the cranks turning.
0809220951_HDR.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I bought this Chris King hub nearly 20 years ago from Larry Mettler at Mountain High Cyclery. Originally a 135mm QR hub. it has been 10x135 bolt through. 12x142. 12x148. All with various adapters and new axle bits We are back to 12x142. Still kicking on the back of the gravel bike.

The accompanied front Hope Bulb (bought at the same time from Larry) has a similar story. Lives on the front of the commuter.
20220809_140336.jpg
20220809_150645.jpg
20220811_145624.jpg
20220811_145010.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn internet, just ordered a Beast Components handlebar in red, it shouldn't show the blood when it snaps and cuts me open.

EDIT- I reported a couple of American sites to Beast, they seem to be fraudulent sites. One address comes up as a trailer park and the other some sort of old wares store.

Last edited:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Bought a busted Cane Creek DB Air IL for €80, found the official service manual, lent a 3d printer, learned using Fusion360 and printed all required tooling myself.
Put the serviced shock on my Giant Reign.
They claim the air spring is much improved and very linear, but I'm skeptical...
Anyone have experience setting these up? The Reign is on the progressive side, so I figured I'd start without any volume reduvers at first...
IMG_20220803_174155.jpg

IMG_20220711_131858.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the coil version, bought it as a backup shock. It's pretty impossible to get it to work for a wide range of conditions, like sharp edged bumps and big hits.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rebuilt my rear enduro wheel today, brass nipples for the alloy. Had a pretty good run, got several seasons before I had a nipple fail. Just doing this, I realize I had real good thread contact with the spokes, likely why it lasted so long. But alloy are a time bomb ultimately.
DCFE789E-2212-4251-A1B4-FF4A84C1E95D.jpeg
DD2C0688-C70A-4DEE-88E8-A09FA605E950.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah alloy are a bad move IMHO unless you're and XC racer that has them rebuilt at least once a season (or get a new bike once a year).
Brass FTW!
That's a little alarmist, I have wheelsets with alloy that hold up just fine and you don't need to replace them "every year". I don't think I've ever got less than 2 years and on average probably 3. Going back and looking at my pictures, this specific wheel got 3 years almost to the day. Plenty of park riding too. But you do have to be cool with re-nipple-ing it at some point in the future IMO. Also build with some decent anti-seize so you can undo the damn things in the future too. If your spokes are a little too short though, this will all go south faster and more catastrophically.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
That's a little alarmist, I have wheelsets with alloy that hold up just fine and you don't need to replace them "every year". I don't think I've ever got less than 2 years and on average probably 3. Going back and looking at my pictures, this specific wheel got 3 years almost to the day. Plenty of park riding too. But you do have to be cool with re-nipple-ing it at some point in the future IMO. Also build with some decent anti-seize so you can undo the damn things in the future too. If your spokes are a little too short though, this will all go south faster and more catastrophically.
I really wonder whether there are tricks to counter the galvanic corrosion of alloy nipples in carbon rims.
Originally when i first encountered it, i assumed all wheels with alloy nipples and ammonia based sealant had that issue, but because alloy rims are alloy... the rim takes most of the corrosion, not the nipple.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I really wonder whether there are tricks to counter the galvanic corrosion of alloy nipples in carbon rims.
Originally when i first encountered it, i assumed all wheels with alloy nipples and ammonia based sealant had that issue, but because alloy rims are alloy... the rim takes most of the corrosion, not the nipple.
Water in the environment (air), salt, ammonia in sealant, these all accelerate it. It's not "because of ammonia" though. It's because of the galvanic potential between the steel, aluminum and carbon of course. The aluminum and carbon are basically on opposite sides of the spectrum. Good anno coating helps to reduce it. Anything you use on the threads and seat helps to reduce it, spacers, lube, etc. But none of this eliminates it. You can try making sure your bike gets to a dry warm place after riding, rather than where it stays cold and wet for hours, but again, that will just help to minimize it more.

IMO, you realize this and figure on replace them every two seasons...it's not super hard to do, but if you don't protect them well in the beginning, then the spokes are welded to the nipples and it's all kinds of trouble. With anti-seize, I don't really run into that problem. I also let some penetrating oil go down each of the nipples before I started...but again, if you didn't protect them in the first place, they'll be all kinds of crap anyway and you shouldn't re-use the spokes.