Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Happymtb.fr Did you donate the green frame from your avatar to @scrublover 's community project
No I didn't. It doesn't get much use at the moment but my son will soon be big enough for it.
Where can I read more about scrublover 's community project?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
It was just his post about the bike his friends were putting together from donated parts, I had never seen a green Chromag like that so I was just curious.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
No I didn't. It doesn't get much use at the moment but my son will soon be big enough for it.
Where can I read more about scrublover 's community project?
not even a community project. just decided to turn my old hardtail into a karma bike for a local kid. managed to get some donated parts from some other locals to fill in the blanks. now working on getting the mish-mash of old stuff to play nicely together.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
not even a community project. just decided to turn my old hardtail into a karma bike for a local kid. managed to get some donated parts from some other locals to fill in the blanks. now working on getting the mish-mash of old stuff to play nicely together.
I hope it works out! good luck :cheers:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Does that tub say "Paint Cocks Putties"?

There's some fancy stuff on that bike.
Yes. Mrs. Scrub has a great sense of humor.

Much of it came off my commuter, and has been replaced with newer bits. Decided to do this rather than deal with selling/shipping/etc. Much of this stuff I can't use on any other bikes, or is enough used that I'd not get much for it.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yes. Mrs. Scrub has a great sense of humor.

Much of it came off my commuter, and has been replaced with newer bits. Decided to do this rather than deal with selling/shipping/etc. Much of this stuff I can use on any other bikes, or is enough used that I'd not get much for it.
Those XTR cranks ... :monkeydance:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Bought a busted Cane Creek DB Air IL for €80, found the official service manual, lent a 3d printer, learned using Fusion360 and printed all required tooling myself.
Put the serviced shock on my Giant Reign.
They claim the air spring is much improved and very linear, but I'm skeptical...
Anyone have experience setting these up? The Reign is on the progressive side, so I figured I'd start without any volume reduvers at first...
As a follow up to my rebuilt CC DB Air IL, I found the airspring to be kind of digressive. Set sag to 30%, and any curb hop would practically bottom out the suspension. Only got 1 of those blue volume spacers, and couldnt get any new ones around here, so used the 3d printer to make a few.

IMG_20220827_144551.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-26 at 7.07.54 PM.jpeg

All in all, I'm kind of disappointed in this 'lineAir' spring of theirs, Rockshox' Monarch Debonair was a lot more linear, and I can initiate movement in a pressurized Fox X2 with my pinky finger.
Guess they wanted a low spring rate from sag, and allow the wide range of damping of their adjusters to change the characteristics.... but that won't help me boost my lardy ass on a step-up.

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I am still trying to find one of these in the elusive 165 mm length.
These are 175. I tried selling them locally with no takers. Don't want to hassle with shipping...but hey man, I'd happily take some cash and a lower priced Shimano or SRAM crank set in trade..

I don't have the original bottom bracket or bolts or chainring. So am running a stainless steel flat ring from some company whose name I forget. Bought years ago. I also have a Wolf Tooth narrow wide ring to fit. Both 30t. With a BBG outer bashguard. That only fits with the stainless ring however.

Anyhow. I ran these cranks for many years on my primary ride and it spent the last 3 or so on my commuter.

Time marches on.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I ran a set of those 980 arms with 9 speed 970 rings for years too, then a few more years with a NW ring. I think I just about got $300 when I sold the 980's with appropriate rings a couple of years ago.

I still need to sell the 970's I have.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Finally got around to getting the Tech4 setup with the V4, got the braided line installed (didn’t think i had one lying around long enough) and bled.
7242690A-4F49-4D01-BF25-7EB43BEED18D.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
went to install new bb and discovered likely source of creaky-cracky noise: fubar'd crankarm pretension bolt. will go questing around local shops tomorrow to find a new one. in the meantime gave the bb/crank area a thorough cleaning and installed new bb.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How’s the lever throw?
Kinda hard to tell, I had 2.3mm worth of rotor and shimz in there for bleeding, but it may not feel as positive as if it was just one big rotor (the rotor that is on the bike), could be the reason for the following. It *seems* to be a little less hope-like super-crisp and a little more magura-like progressive, but I can't tell until I ride it. I just wanted to get it hooked up and bled. I bought a Tech 4 X2 and will convert that now to a Tech 3 X2 for my XC bike, which doesn't need massive power.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Kinda hard to tell, I had 2.3mm worth of rotor and shimz in there for bleeding, but it may not feel as positive as if it was just one big rotor (the rotor that is on the bike), could be the reason for the following. It *seems* to be a little less hope-like super-crisp and a little more magura-like progressive, but I can't tell until I ride it. I just wanted to get it hooked up and bled. I bought a Tech 4 X2 and will convert that now to a Tech 3 X2 for my XC bike, which doesn't need massive power.
That’s kinda what I was thinking. They feel more progressive than a tech3 lever.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How does the Tech4 compare to the Dominion A4's?

I have Dominions and Tech3V4's...
I don’t know. There’s 3 guys around here with them and I just squeeze their brakes here and there while riding together. I’m happy with the Dominion A4 so I haven’t considered getting them for myself.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How does the Tech4 compare to the Dominion A4's?

I have Dominions and Tech3V4's...
They both have 4s.

Running a T3V4s with 220m, they could have used more bite. Power was acceptable, but I would have liked them to bite down harder when called to or for it to come on faster. Resistance to fade and heat was fantastic though and it made going down so many rock slabs pretty fun and pleasurable. But some more bite and if T4s bring more power to the game, should be decent...but there are a lot of decent brakes out there. I also want cross-compatibility with my winter setups and these work fantastic well below 0F, where other (mineral oil) brakes do not, so I might have a different reason than most.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Last bits, promise.
IMGP0018 (2).JPG

I'm hoping the brake levers won't hit the TT, 15mm rise ain't much.

Also, fuck DHL Germany, I'm lucky I didn't get another empty package, it's like they just kick stuff around for the week it sits in Gemany then it gets fired to the destination via cannon.

EDIT- You get a little card with the person your family can blame when you die because of teh crabon, hahaha.
IMG_20220830_194001.jpg

EDIT- Just realised I bought the older and lighter handlebar, luckily I don't run Shimano or Sram levers so I should be fine, hahaha!

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
These are 175. I tried selling them locally with no takers. Don't want to hassle with shipping...but hey man, I'd happily take some cash and a lower priced Shimano or SRAM crank set in trade..

I don't have the original bottom bracket or bolts or chainring. So am running a stainless steel flat ring from some company whose name I forget. Bought years ago. I also have a Wolf Tooth narrow wide ring to fit. Both 30t. With a BBG outer bashguard. That only fits with the stainless ring however.

Anyhow. I ran these cranks for many years on my primary ride and it spent the last 3 or so on my commuter.

Time marches on.
You really could not sell them locally??? :eek:
Here the 980s go for 150-180 € depending on condition and are alway picked up quickly, the 985 for less because of 88 mm BCD.
Not sure if this is worth it, customs and shipping will kill us. :dead:
Thanks for the offer though. :thumb:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Last bits, promise.
View attachment 181233
I'm hoping the brake levers won't hit the TT, 15mm rise ain't much.

Also, fuck DHL Germany, I'm lucky I didn't get another empty package, it's like they just kick stuff around for the week it sits in Gemany then it gets fired to the destination via cannon.

EDIT- You get a little card with the person your family can blame when you die because of teh crabon, hahaha.
View attachment 181234
Just do night rides and you are fine!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Someone’s pandemic purchase turned into a deal too good for me to pass up. Said it was used a few times, but I don’t see any evidence of that. He upgraded the cranks from NX to GX, put on an MRP bash guard, Race Face carbon bars (those are going in the ocean pronto. I have some aluminum bars to put on), One Up composite pedals and new in packaging Assegai and Dissector tires with Cushcore for both. I’ll probably put the 27.5 on my DH bike. The last bike I had with really short chainstays I didn’t love, but it also had 30mm more reach. I’m hoping that and the smaller back wheel will make it better than the Process I had. And if I don’t love it, I’ll flip it. Going to give it a thrashing tonight. Pray the carbon bars hold up for one ride.
image0.jpeg