Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is that Iconic Silver? I'm in the middle of trying to find a Ranger Raptor for MSRP.
The first one I heard I thought somebody had put an aftermarket exhaust on it. The dude was on and off the throttle a bunch so I gave him a big jerking off hand gesture, coz he was driving like a dick.
Turned out it was a new car that he was test driving.

How do Ford make engines that sound so bad?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Honestly I can't believe I'm actually going to buy a Ford. However, I've been waiting forever for someone to make a medium/hard trail capable 4x4 that has dynamic dampers with a stiff sport setting for backroad handling and doesn't cost $80k plus.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Honestly I can't believe I'm actually going to buy a Ford. However, I've been waiting forever for someone to make a medium/hard trail capable 4x4 that has dynamic dampers with a stiff sport setting for backroad handling and doesn't cost $80k plus.
Like the ZR2?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ZR2 is the other one, but you have less control over the suspension in the ZR2 and the seats in the Ranger Raptor are better (old man back compatible).
True, but you get arguably better shocks on the ZR2…but you gotta get pretty wild off-road before they come into their own.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
True, but you get arguably better shocks on the ZR2…but you gotta get pretty wild off-road before they come into their own.
I prefer being able to select how stiff I want the dampers set, so from that perspective I think the Fox Live valve dampers in the Raptor are better. It also has 100 more hp and a better transmission for hooning.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I prefer being able to select how stiff I want the dampers set, so from that perspective I think the Fox Live valve dampers in the Raptor are better. It also has 100 more hp and a better transmission for hooning.
Possibly, I've had meh electronic dampers (BMW). And yep, you pay for that extra 100hp. If you want the most power, that's what you want.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Does it have one of the engines with the internal water pumps?

Nothing like putting a major maintenance item inside the engine so when it leaks it dilutes the oil and destroys all the bearings.

Might also want to see if it has an oil immersed oil pump belt that gets eaten by the oil, and then stops pumping oil.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha, firm suspension mode, I look forward to seeing Raptors on their roofs because people don't understand physicses.

Saw an Ineos Pickup yesterday, didn't mind the look of it.

Aug 7, 2024
New frame day.
From dis

To dis...
Do you have an issue with the cable's running under the bottom bracket? I can't seem to get them tight against the bottom bracket. I wish they used a bolt on bracket like Shimano to hold the cables close.

I picked up a OneUp bash guard to try to keep things from hitting the cables.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My new pedals showed up for the Optic. Ol' faithful XT trails...

Also found a 30t on Marketplace. I could push the 32 in my 52t cog, but spent a lot of time in it. Figure I'd rather make a $$$$ cassette last as long as I possibly can. I must pair my new RD with my Garmin so I can check the data!!!

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I converted my Megatrail into a MEGA megatrail, gnarvana . Bad name, good bike. It’s turning into a nearly complete rebuild of my bike. I have ridden it once since the conversion and so far I am really digging it.

IMG_0755.jpeg

I’m really impressed with the suspension. The fork is a cheap 2025 36 performance with my 2019 hella damping grip 2 in it. Fox has made some significant improvements in the chassis over my old 2019. The rear is much more linear feeling which has it riding much higher while climbing than the megatrail in the low setting. This is very welcome. Descending feels really great as well.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The day ford puts the transmission out of the bronco in the ranger and keeps it with at least a 7k tow rating is the day I drive the f150 to the dealer and tell them I never want a big truck or a gas truck with an automatic in it ever again. The bronco with the 2.3, that trans, and the 4.7 gears with the 33" tires is amazing.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The day ford puts the transmission out of the bronco in the ranger and keeps it with at least a 7k tow rating is the day I drive the f150 to the dealer and tell them I never want a big truck or a gas truck with an automatic in it ever again. The bronco with the 2.3, that trans, and the 4.7 gears with the 33" tires is amazing.
The fox live valve shocks in this thing are nutty; it has no business cornering this well.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I honestly have no interest in trucks older than like 08. That’s when they figured out how to not make just riding in them on the highway fatiguing. I hated older trucks where you’d drive 3 hours somewhere and be exhausted. If no decent manual trucks than can tow 7k come out before my f150 rust away to nothing I’ll just buy an electric one. I have zero intention of purchasing any more petroleum powered automatics.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Screw electric...hate out Tesla...besides racing people that thing can go and die somewhere (pretty sure it will sooner than later)

I'll take gas but prefer diesel , got my fema and EMT, firefighter 1 as well as waiting on CJO with LAFD city...did alot of time around incident rigs and 25% have to be diesel due to gas has no shelf life, can't really be stored, turns to varnish...electric well shit I have nothing to add that , electric already says it ....diesel can be stored for several years and a rig with bigger injectors and tank heater can run vegetable oil and well as oil from fry cats etc...

Agreed on transmissions there's not alot of bullit proof ones around anymore...a couple, and yeah I like a manual....heavy loads burn em up, I don't tow anything , wife's parents have ranches and zillion acres in Idaho so they have several HD set ups so we have access besides buddies rigs

Hot as hell in these things
Screenshot_20240921_182431_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Screw electric...hate out Tesla...besides racing people that thing can go and die somewhere (pretty sure it will sooner than later)

I'll take gas but prefer diesel , got my fema and EMT, firefighter 1 as well as waiting on CJO with LAFD city...did alot of time around incident rigs and 25% have to be diesel due to gas has no shelf life, can't really be stored, turns to varnish...electric well shit I have nothing to add that , electric already says it ....diesel can be stored for several years and a rig with bigger injectors and tank heater can run vegetable oil and well as oil from fry cats etc...

Agreed on transmissions there's not alot of bullit proof ones around anymore...a couple, and yeah I like a manual....heavy loads burn em up, I don't tow anything , wife's parents have ranches and zillion acres in Idaho so they have several HD set ups so we have access besides buddies rigs

Hot as hell in these things
View attachment 218795
You need a Daily.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Oooo I like the motor...ok...like the build I'd make a sprinter out of it...that SOB can get itself into some serious trouble , triple locked
The Daily is a serious workhorse. It's the most sold small truck/pickup/van in europe.

The 4x4 version is based off the Iveco defence "military utility vehicle". Max. weight is 7 metric tons.
The engine is a FPT 3,0l Diesel with 207hp. Spareparts shouldn't be a problem (FPT delivers all engines for CASE and New Holland). Manual gearbox available including a PTO for hydraulic applications.
Alternatively there's the ZF automatic gearbox known from BMW.
As it has a classic ladder frame, you could mount various superstructures for example with twistlocks. Use it as pickup during workweek, then mount the camper for the holidays or weekends with the boys!

Otherwise, there is also a van available.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
can't have that in the us, because freedum, need to protect those chicken farmers AT ALL COST
Unless it’s over 20 years old.
The fox live valve shocks in this thing are nutty; it has no business cornering this well.
i don’t think it’s the shocks, I think ford has just nailed truck cassis dynamics. The bilsteins on the bronco that supposedly suck compared to aftermarket bilsteins have it handling great. Like even on all terrains. I’ve driven cars that don’t handle as well on the road. It’ll do stuff that would roll a wrangler without even howling the tires.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The articulation on the Raptor looks pretty good, up there with a stock 2016 Pajero.
1727128534338.png

1727128552964.png

I don't get Raptors, I don't get Rangers either really, I'm yet to find a long term owner that hasn't had some sort of electrical weirdness on the previous model. Some of them were probably owner caused with electrical add ons.
They were a pain in the ass to try to measure parasitic draw on too, easiest way is through the OBD port but I didn't have one of those gadgets.