Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
If you're talking about the 11 speed stuff, it's a known issue:

Those mother fuckers

I actually tried "shimming" it with cut pieces of a paper staples, but they eventually fell out. Looks like I was supposed to use bobby pins (oddly, I'm friends with the guy who used the bobby pins).

As @Westy wisely pointed out on another read, the answer is always more (fucking) shims. :disgust:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Doesn't look like the Ohlins shock I wanted is coming back in to stock any time soon so I ordered a Mara Pro for ~$400 less.
I figured that reviewers liked the Marz Z1, I hated the Z1, reviewers dislike the Mara Pro so I should like it, hipster logic.
I could probably get the Cane Creek AD-5 off my brother's bike and be fine with it, hahaha!

That's the last bit for my build, frame may be getting painted up late next week, I'll be in no rush to build it up.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm starting to spend way too much time on the We Are One website oogling that Arrival...
You're not the only one. It looks like an amazing bike.

Thank God it comes with SuperBoost...pretty much the only thing preventing me from uploading a shitload of $$$ to We Are One.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
But with a 73mm crankset so the chain line is pretty sweet in the bigger cogs.
Yes, and I truly appreciate that. My hardtail has a Boost hub and a non-Boost XT crankset. :)

My issue with SB is very personal: I like to maximize the cross-compatibility between my bikes and my mtb fleet will soon be 100% Boost. That doesn't mean I will reject all SuperBoost frames without considering them, but if I am hesitating between two bikes (one Boost and the other SB), I will go for the Boost model. That WAO Arrival 170 could very well be a SB bike I could choose, despite the hub spacing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But with a 73mm crankset so the chain line is pretty sweet in the bigger cogs.
Yeah, that part is great.

I've only been on the 152 version, but I fucking love that bike. I really can't justify it, but I still want one.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yeah, that part is great.

I've only been on the 152 version, but I fucking love that bike. I really can't justify it, but I still want one.
Oh, I certainly couldn't justify it either. I'm also torn on the 152 vs 170 question. The 152 would be a swap to a bike sorta similar to my Sight, but in 29-er. I suspect the shift to 29er alone would make it feel faster than my Sight with the added rough terrain forgiveness my riding cronies tell me about.

I'd really prefer the original black, though...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh, I certainly couldn't justify it either. I'm also torn on the 152 vs 170 question. The 152 would be a swap to a bike sorta similar to my Sight, but in 29-er. I suspect the shift to 29er alone would make it feel faster than my Sight with the added rough terrain forgiveness my riding cronies tell me about.

Your Sight isn't on 29" wheels?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

I thought the frame only version still came in the original black?

The 152 in 29 should devour terrain compared to an older 27.5 Sight, especially if you went coil.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I thought the frame only version still came in the original black?

The 152 in 29 should devour terrain compared to an older 27.5 Sight, especially if you went coil.
Per the website, yeah. Huh... If only the seat tube diameter was the same... I really love my fancy robo-seatpost

Not sure I'd be brave enough to commit the the krazy coil option they offer.

Frame only, add a wheelset... Build the rest up with some bro-connection-ry...a little favourable math...

TO THE EXCEL NEW BIKE JUSTIFICATIONATOR!

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Maybe if you pay them extra they can keep the X2?

Robo post 34.9? Surprised they didn't go 34.9 on the seat tube.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Maybe if you pay them extra they can keep the X2?

Robo post 34.9? Surprised they didn't go 34.9 on the seat tube.
I should just keep mine and buy some rando dropper to sell my sight. I’ll have to consult the PB to assess my part out revenue options!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nope. I did a parking lot test of a 29er and it felt yuge. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I kinda fell into a great deal on my bike, so stuck with the 27.5.
Oh wow well yeah you definitely need this new bike. That Sight is totally unridabru.

Don't worry about having to deal with selling it after either, I'll take it off your hands properly dispose of it. :busted:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
New XC fork. I already have an older 34sc, but i was trying to get my 32sc overhauled when the rebound adjuster broke off. Fox said i had to order the whole damper rod, after giving them the part no, but what showed up was not compatible and from a totally different damper. They then conformed that you can no longer get the older damper rod and offered me 50% off any new fork. Since my other 34 has an avy cart and runt, I figure this will be my new racing fork, I weighed it at 1506 uncut. I was toying with trying a SID 35 this year, but the reliability of that race-day cartridge scares me. The 32sc is a noodle that scares the shit out of me at times, but when I'm racing I really don't notice. Still, even my other 34sc is not very stiff, so hopefully this is a little better. It's narrower.
208A6502-3133-4666-89D2-BBB9C13E45CA.jpeg
24918ED1-0FB9-45D4-80E6-847B065E0814.jpeg
25317EF1-0B47-4B41-8CA5-2AEDAD3AAFD4.jpeg

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
New E13 cranks on the Down-duro.
Screenshot_20220926-141413_Gallery.jpg

Bbinfinite and 30mm cranks.
Dream: Straight forward install.
Reality: I was industried many times over....

Threaded rod was too short on my bb install tool
My old E13 chainring was 8mm offset, not 5mm
Chainguide takes a max 34t CR, mine was 36
Pedal ends didn't clear the crank boots and I cracked them tightening the pedals.

Currently a bit of a bodge job until I can justify paying a chunk of change for another CR. But.... it pedals nicely so far, and I'm down to 14.5kg as seen.....chainguide not included.

Will take it for a spin this arvo and see how we go.
Really, the long term test will be the BBinfinte bearings. Bit of a gamble, let's see how they hold up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm still curious about those HC97's. They use a lot thicker oil, with a lot heavier rebound stacks. It seems so heavily damped to me, I run my rebound fairly close to open...
It's a cartridge emulator from what I gather.