Quantcast

No comment...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
conventional wisdom clearly conveys if this happens, then this will eventually lead to muslims marrying non-muslims, which is a capital offense in over a dozen countries

this is about the slippery slope into a global community, code named 'fab-u-dome'
is it right next the abortion mega-plex?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
the problem is that it's forcing people who do not follow that religion to abide by it's rules.
Thanks, that was the point I was trying to get across.

I have no problem with people who choose to practice a religion, especially if it helps them be a better person. But not when they try to force others to abide by their views.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
the problem is that it's forcing people who do not follow that religion to abide by it's rules.
Thanks, that was the point I was trying to get across.

I have no problem with people who choose to practice a religion, especially if it helps them be a better person. But not when they try to force others to abide by their views.
Well unfortunately the first amendment does not mean what you want it to.

Why not? Because if it did then Muslims would be legally protected in their right to stone women who are raped. After all that is what sharia law calls for. Who are we to legislate judo-christian views on the absolute immorality or murder?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Why not? Because if it did then Muslims would be legally protected in their right to stone women who are raped. After all that is what sharia law calls for. Who are we to legislate judo-christian views on the absolute immorality or murder?
Uh, you do realize that whole "until it impacts someone else" aspect of Freedom of Religion, right? It's why Native Americans are able to use peyote in religious ceremonies and Muslims *can't* stone women who were raped.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Uh, you do realize that whole "until it impacts someone else" aspect of Freedom of Religion, right? It's why Native Americans are able to use peyote in religious ceremonies and Muslims *can't* stone women who were raped.
Yeah OK bad example but the first amendment does not state "until it impacts someone else". A better example would be polygamy. Who does polygamy hurt?

What we are discussing here is commonly called the "Free Exercise Clause" of the First amendment. The supreme court interpreted this clause in Reynolds v. United States to mean:

Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious beliefs and opinions, they may with practices
If you want to bring up the "compelling interest" doctrine, too bad because gay marriage is not considered a religious activity.

Also this:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

dante nailed it. freedom of religion only covers you until you start infringing upon the rights of others. or violating other laws. like murder, theft, and cruelty to animals.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
dante nailed it. freedom of religion only covers you until you start infringing upon the rights of others. or violating other laws. like murder, theft, and cruelty to animals.
don't forget: banning worship services in public schools
“A worship service is an act of organized religion that consecrates the place in which it is performed, making it a church”
got that? prayer is what makes it "bad"
"free exercise" my fat black infidel ass
“I’ve always thought that one of the great things about America is that we keep a separation” between church and state, he said, “and the more clear that separation is, the more those people who want to be able to practice their religion will have the opportunity to do so.”
see? less is more

can't help but wonder how many people cast their vote for bloomberg in a church

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
don't forget: banning worship services in public schools
got that? prayer is what makes it "bad"
"free exercise" my fat black infidel asssee? less is more

can't help but wonder how many people cast their vote for bloomberg in a church
I'll say it again because no one seemed to catch it. Reynolds v. United States page 162:

Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious beliefs and opinions, they may with practices
Honestly though gay marriage is not a religious practice so it is in no way protected by the first amendment.

The constitutional challenges to this law, just like prop 8 here in cali, will fall under the "due process" clause of the fifth amendment.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll say it again because no one seemed to catch it. Reynolds v. United States page 162:

Honestly though gay marriage is not a religious practice so it is in no way protected by the first amendment.

The constitutional challenges to this law, just like prop 8 here in cali, will fall under the "due process" clause of the fifth amendment.
So gay marriage is not a religious practice but heterosexual marriage is? So then why does the government issue marriage licenses?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
not a trick question: what do you believe are the clear difference(s) b/t 'practice' and 'free exercise'
well, prop 8 was clearly anti-gay ("Eliminates Rights of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.") , so i'm glad it got overturned

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
So gay marriage is not a religious practice but heterosexual marriage is? So then why does the government issue marriage licenses?
Heterosexual marriage is not a religious practice either. It is a legal contract between two people. That is why the fifth amendment and not the first is applicable here.

I am an atheist and I am married.

not a trick question: what do you believe are the clear difference(s) b/t 'practice' and 'free exercise'
I'll leave that to the lawyers. I'm just trying to help explain the legal precedents which apply to the first amendment.

Unfortunately the SCOTUS is continually tweaking their interpretation. Here are some examples:

Going back to Dante's Peyote comment, in Employment Division v. Smith the SCOTUS upheld a law prohibiting the use of peyote despite it's use in religious rituals.

But in Sherbert v. Verner the court overturned the decision to deny unemployment benefits to a woman who lost her job after refusing to work on Saturday due to her beliefs as a Seventh-day Adventist.

To me the clearest line is the line between practices (which can be legislated against) and beliefs (which can not). So my best explanation is that 'free exercise' only covers religious beliefs.

well, prop 8 was clearly anti-gay ("Eliminates Rights of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.") , so i'm glad it got overturned
It violated the Due Process clause and the Equal Rights Clause not the 1st Amendment.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rocky, you're completely ignoring the fact that there is such a thing as religious marriage. In christianity its one of their rites or one of those sacrament thingies.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Rocky, you're completely ignoring the fact that there is such a thing as religious marriage. In christianity its one of their rites or one of those sacrament thingies.
yes, and it was so important to me i went ahead & did it again

take that, fags!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Who cares? If some crazy religion was into doing "marriage" ceremonies for horses they could do that but it wouldn't be a legal contract.

Maybe I'm not getting your point?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Who cares? If some crazy religion was into doing "marriage" ceremonies for horses they could do that but it wouldn't be a legal contract.

Maybe I'm not getting your point?
clearly not. there's 2 kinds of marriage:

-religious marriage, "in the eyes of god", performed by a pastor/priest/rabbi/etc

-legal marriage, "in the eyes of the state", performed by a justice of the peace (a kind of judge), you get a "marriage certificate" which means the state recognizes the union between you and your partner as legal (not unlike a birth certificate, in a way)

The gov't will generally only recognize legal marriages (important for the tax, health, other benefits), which is why you go to the county courthouse to get a marriage license. No marriage license? In the eyes of the gov't you are not legally married (and subsequently can't get the legal benefits along with it - taxes, health insurance, etc).

The church has their own rules (ie man + woman), and their marriage is in fact a religious ceremony performed by a priest/pastor/etc. In the eyes of the church, you are not married unless you have gone through the ceremony performed by a priest.

The reason this is a big to-do is because the christians people want the legal definition of marriage to follow the same rules as their crazy jeebus version of religious marriage.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The reason this is a big to-do is because the christians people want the legal definition of marriage to follow the same rules as their crazy jeebus version of religious marriage.
Yup.

The point I am making is that the first amendment does not prevent passing legislation in line with religious doctrine. Many people seem to have misconceptions about what the 1st amendment means (or rather the current legal interpretation).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup.

The point I am making is that the first amendment does not prevent passing legislation in line with religious doctrine. Many people seem to have misconceptions about what the 1st amendment means (or rather the current legal interpretation).
I never even brought up the first amendment, u trawlin?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I was discussing it with Dante and AngryMetalsmith. Then you jumped in with this.

sry if there was some confusion.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What they want is for the legal definition of marriage to stay the same, as it matches their religious views.

Definition of marriage
In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word 'marriage' means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word 'spouse' refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.

This is not the same thing as changing the legal definition to meet their views.

They simply want to preserve an outdated definition to make homosexuals miserable.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup.

I asked because I'm no lawyer, and thought the First Amendment was supposed to preserve separation of church and state. Either way, laws of this nature originate from Christian based morality in a very subtle way. Even if you are not Christian but were raised in the U.S. you more than likely have been influenced by the religion. I only bring this up because the Zen Priest and author Brad Warner wrote about how deeply ingrained Christianity is in our culture. So much so that it it is often unquestioned and accepted as matter of fact.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
laws of this nature originate from Christian based morality in a very subtle way.
Sure, if a drooling, closeted fat white guy flagellating himself with a bible while screaming some nonsense about sacrilege is 'subtle'.

Ayo rocky! (thanks jon!): the point isn't that it's illegal to pass this nonsense, it's that enforcing it is discrimination. But you already knows dat.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dante, I have called you enough on being a Southist. However, as you pointed out, you tend to lump everyone below the Mason-Dixon line as redneck, mouth breathers, etc, etc. I get your metaphor, really, I do. I think the gay marriage votes are silly and a waste of money and time. Marriage is marriage. If it's a governmental issue, then the federal civil rights act should apply. If it's for religious issues, then that's between you and your God, not me and my ballot box. Yes, the South is primarily bible beltish and prudish to a fault and hypocritical with their morals, but hey, who isn't?

And as far as Obama's "relevation"? He supports it, but thinks it's a state's issue??? Really? Then let's undo all that federal civil rights stuff and he can hop on down to Alabamy and sit his black ass in the back of the bus.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Either way, laws of this nature originate from Christian based morality in a very subtle way.
Christian morality? There is no such thing as christian morality. (unless youre talking about sacrificing children and burning women for not believing in your fairytail.)
There is only human morality. Christians just claim they have the rights to it because they want you to believe you can not be moral without obeying/believing in their particular god.
This whole theory is a fallacy and has been proven false in numerous cases.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Dante, I have called you enough on being a Southist. However, as you pointed out, you tend to lump everyone below the Mason-Dixon line as redneck, mouth breathers, etc, etc.
In all fairness, the definition of marriage was signed into Federal law by a Southerner......

The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) (Pub.L. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419, enacted September 21, 1996, 1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C) is a United States federal law that defines marriage as the legal union of one man and one woman. The law passed both houses of Congress by large majorities and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
There is only human morality. Christians just claim they have the rights to it because they want you to believe you can not be moral without obeying/believing in their particular god.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and what was the rough death toll from those types done in the name of Christ? feel free to round up, where appropriate.

oh, and i'd be interested if you believe it's relevant to kevin's post (it is; i'm just wondering if you'd acknowledge it)

to review: the comparison is "christian morality -vs- human morality"

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I think claiming to be "Christian" (or any religion for that matter) has little to no affect on someone's morality. There are both good and evil people claiming to be Christian just like there are good and evil people claiming to be Atheist, or Muslim, or Buddhist, or Hindu, or.... Even today one just has to look at genocide in Rwanda done by "Christians" to see the horrors that can be done in the name of religion.

About the only difference from the people you posted were that the Atheists were more proficient at killing, although as a percentage of the population I'm thinking that the Rwandan genocide comes pretty close.

By the way, your post didn't *actually* refute Kevin's post. His point was that you don't have to be Christian to be moral. Your posting of immoral people who weren't Christian does nothing to show that non-Christians *can't* be moral.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
By the way, your post didn't *actually* refute Kevin's post. His point was that you don't have to be Christian to be moral. Your posting of immoral people who weren't Christian does nothing to show that non-Christians *can't* be moral.
sounds like someone needs to make a venn diagram

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think claiming to be "Christian" (or any religion for that matter) has little to no affect on someone's morality.
agree.
the claim of religious affiliation means nothing

this is in stark contrast to living out faith-based principles, however (not distorted/perverted, like that phelps klan)
There are both good and evil people claiming to be Christian just like there are good and evil people claiming to be Atheist, or Muslim, or Buddhist, or Hindu, or.... Even today one just has to look at genocide in Rwanda done by "Christians" to see the horrors that can be done in the name of religion.
wut?
the genocide was tribal/ethic; not religious (however, there were 10 commandments)
About the only difference from the people you posted were that the Atheists were more proficient at killing, although as a percentage of the population I'm thinking that the Rwandan genocide comes pretty close.
i'd expect meusheu to make this mistake; not you
no, his point was that there is no such thing as 'christian morality', as this would create a false premise (in his mind). it's a stronger statement than "if you are moral, your christianity has no bearing", but rather "if you are christian, you cannot be moral", and underpinned this with his snark about setting babies on fire & treating women like chattel, presumably b/c he believes true adherents would be obliged to carry these things out.

and my posting demonstrated what has happened when religion is banned/outlawed -- all performed in the name of 'human morality', a.k.a. communism

oh, i err'd: tojo wouldn't belong in that list, as he was shinto. that would go in the other column

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
and what was the rough death toll from those types done in the name of Christ? feel free to round up, where appropriate.

oh, and i'd be interested if you believe it's relevant to kevin's post (it is; i'm just wondering if you'd acknowledge it)

to review: the comparison is "christian morality -vs- human morality"
Oh how you fail again.
Non of these prople have ever commited any crimes against others in the name of atheism while numoures crimes are being commited in the name of religion.
Im getting sick and tired of arguing with people like you. Every argument you come up with has allready been destroyed by people like Hitchens or Dawkins.
The fact that you dont want to read about them doesnt make u more right.
So i suggest you get educated or shut the **** up.
Youre on the losing side of this debate, ever wonder why that is?
Get a clue while you still have a bit of dignity left...

Edit;
Tribal ethnic in practice means religious.
Another thing you should look into because you dont seem to know a lot about the subject...

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Uh, you might want to reread Kevin's post again...

Kevin said: