Quantcast

Northeast Monkeyfest 2009

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You need a passport to go to Canada now. Well, maybe not to go there but to get back in you do.
So worst case scenario I get stuck with beautiful French Canadian girls and ride 2 super fun mountains all day and drink beer every night.

I'll play.:biggrin:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I might be in for the DH trip. Been meaning to get to bromont for a while, but I might want to do saturday since I'll have a long drive. Hmmm...let me stink abuot it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Unfortunately Bromont isn't looking good for me (no passport). As much as I'd love to just say eff it and take my chances in getting over and back, it's really not worth the (potential) hassle.

Which sucks, because Bromont is by far my favorite mountain.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
And for those interested in discovering new trails, I'm building since almost 2 years in East-Hereford. It's a 45min drive from KT. Typical east coast XC with a lot of nice features along the way. Pics to come if some are interested.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Joe,

Go to the DMV and just get an enhanced license. Takes a few weeks but you can pay a small fee for rush delivery. The license is $30 and can be used at customs in both Canada and Mexico.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Joe,

Land Travel

On June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, will be required to present one of the travel documents listed below. Many of these documents are already available, and obtaining one now will ensure that you are ready on June 1, 2009, when they will be required.
U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces/territories are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards – NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Note: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

The group should be prepared to present a letter on organizational letterhead with the following information:

The name of the group and supervising adult;
A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child; and
A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If I recall, it took us two hours or so. But it was early and I wasn't driving.....retardless, you'll have plenty of time to ride and can easily get there at a reasonable hour. The canadian border was empty, too. We drove right up into customs.

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
Hey, I've got a few questions about MF if someone could answer them for me. :)

Is MF open to anyone, or is it an invite only affair?
Are there rides for people of all skill levels?
Do you need a downhill bike?

I'm actually getting married on the 15th of August so I wouldn't be able to attend, but it would be nice to know these things for future MFs. :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Hey, I've got a few questions about MF if someone could answer them for me. :)

Is MF open to anyone, or is it an invite only affair?
Are there rides for people of all skill levels?
Do you need a downhill bike?

I'm actually getting married on the 15th of August so I wouldn't be able to attend, but it would be nice to know these things for future MFs. :D
Congratulations on the nuptials!

Hopefully you can join us for a future gathering.

To answer your questions:
Yes, MF is open to anyone!

All skill levels are represented...we usually have several different group rides available.

No DH bike necessary. The Kingdom Trails offer some of the best singletrack I have ever ridden. There are some DH-style trails that would require a larger travel bike, but there is more than enough XC riding to keep you busy.

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
Congratulations on the nuptials!

Hopefully you can join us for a future gathering.

To answer your questions:
Yes, MF is open to anyone!

All skill levels are represented...we usually have several different group rides available.

No DH bike necessary. The Kingdom Trails offer some of the best singletrack I have ever ridden. There are some DH-style trails that would require a larger travel bike, but there is more than enough XC riding to keep you busy.
Thank you for the congrats! :)

Good stuff. Well I look forward to hearing about the next MF and will definitely try to attend.

We will actually be doing our first honeymoon in Montreal and hopefully I can get the soon to be to agree to a day trip to KT or another spot in the area. :D

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
First honeymoon? Your going to have more than one?
Absolutely. :P

We actually don't have a lot of time after the wedding so we decided to do a short one following the wedding. Neither of us have been to Montreal before so we thought it'd be perfect. We'll take our second honeymoon this coming winter when we have more time off.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
There's a new trail (Burnham down) that will be perfect for the night ride, it has a ton of bridges and a good amount of elevation drop AND it ends almost across the street from the lodge.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
There's a new trail (Burnham down) that will be perfect for the night ride, it has a ton of bridges and a good amount of elevation drop AND it ends almost across the street from the lodge.
Hopefully Eamon & Co. don't wait 'til I'm 4-5 beers and a few glasses of bourbon deep before going on the first night ride again.:dead:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Hopefully Eamon & Co. don't wait 'til I'm 4-5 beers and a few glasses of bourbon deep before going on the first night ride again.:dead:
You've got a reprieve this time, I won't be at the summer 'fest. Hopefully I can make it to the fall one. But really, what's the point of a drunken night ride if you're not impaired.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You've got a reprieve this time, I won't be at the summer 'fest. Hopefully I can make it to the fall one. But really, what's the point of a drunken night ride if you're not impaired.
First time at the trails + all covered in leaves + barely working light = bad enough scenario.

Throw in inebriation, and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster.......albeit fun as hell.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Did they refresh the map for this season and is that trail on it?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
First time at the trails + all covered in leaves + barely working light = bad enough scenario.

Throw in inebriation, and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster.......albeit fun as hell.
Drunken night rides are the best! :) it's all in the name of fun right?