Quantcast

Random Food Thread.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Turkey is so cheap here. Not sure why? The breasts I get are huge, I cut then up into tips and marinade them in Italian dressing. Like a New England steak tip but with turkey. Juicy and delicious. They take the smoke from a Charcoal fire pretty awesome. Secret New England steak tip marinade is. 1 bottle of Kens Steak house Italian dressing. 1 Bottle of Kens classic French. And some Worcestershire sauce.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Radish-carrot-broccoli-green/red cabbage slaw (mayo, ponzu, S&P, sugar, sesame oil) with Filipino style chicken adobo!

20220603_175717.jpg

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Beef stew:

I started with a beef chuck roast and removed as much fat as possible and sliced it into small strips. Sliced Celery, 1/2 large yellow onion sliced into large chunks, 3 celery stalks sliced into 1/4" pieces, a dozen baby bella mushrooms sliced into 1/4 inch pieces, 2 large carrots cut into 1/4 inch rounds, one 680 gram pouch of terrific trio mini potatoes halved, 2 tablespoons of better than bullion beef base, about 2 cups of Concannon Crimson and Clover wine ( cabernet sauvignon / petit sirah blend) 3 tablesoons of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder (spices to taste). tablespoon of corn meal (added at the end of cooking)

In a Dutch oven on the stove top I brazed the meat in olive oil with the spices until brown. Then I added the wine and let it simmer. I dissolved the beef base in 2 cups of hot water and added that to the meat and added the veggies. add more water to cover everything if needed.

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. At 45 minutes add the corn meal, at one hour its ready to eat.

tip stir every 10 minutes or so

20220615_163030.jpg
20220615_163043.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My father's ex wife's parents ruined stew for me as a kid. I never eat it now, there is just nothing good about it.

They'd over cook the meat into leather jerky, over fill it with huge carrots and celery. No seasoning etc etc.

BARF

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My father's ex wife's parents ruined stew for me as a kid. I never eat it now, there is just nothing good about it.

They'd over cook the meat into leather jerky, over fill it with huge carrots and celery. No seasoning etc etc.

BARF
I've mostly recovered from my childhood diet but had a similar experience. The normal dinner was some sinewy cut of beef, potato of some sort and carrots/peas/corn/lima beans usually in the frozen form. Occasionally we would have a treat like tacos, which consisted of unseasoned ground beef and cheese in a shell.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

BARF
Almost my entire childhood was ruined with bad food, I really can't remember a memorable meal that my mom ever made.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yum. Isn't it just a really thick t-bone?
More like a super-thick (3-4 inches) Porterhouse - apparently the tenderloin section should be very large.

Rabbit-hole:

ETA: not sure I'd be able to pull it off... there are certain people who shall remain anonymous that don't like their steak rare around here. And I'm not going to murder a bistecca by over-cooking it. :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
and the prep work for tamales has begun. The pork has 2.5 hours to go in the slow cooker, Chilies are deseeded for making the red sauce, the masa is easy to make takes about 10 minutes. getting ready to start the corn husks soaking. Take the liquid from the slow cooker add more spices and simmer the peppers in it for 20 minutes. Toss the pork into the Kitchenaid mixer with the flat blade to shred, add red sauce stir = tamale filling. Once I have the Tamles wrapped, it's steam for 2 hours then its chow time

20220618_141338.jpg
20220618_141415.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008