Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
all this talk of dj frames ...
my Sovereign hangs in the garage missing parts. That thing was the business for street/dj riding. I wish I could chop/weld a tapered headtube onto that frame. Slacken the HA and accept a modern fork.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
my Sovereign hangs in the garage missing parts. That thing was the business for street/dj riding. I wish I could chop/weld a tapered headtube onto that frame. Slacken the HA and accept a modern fork.
What missing parts? But yes, that's what it needs. A few degrees slacker head angle and a bit longer reach.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
like this guy? :D
Local pickup only. :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All this concentric talk reminded me that Rotec made a 5" travel "play bike" relatively recently, but with no website and no recent activity on their FB page, it seems Sully & Co have moved onto other things

To the best of my knowledge Sully is still working on an active rotec project, albeit hella slowly.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All this concentric talk reminded me that Rotec made a 5" travel "play bike" relatively recently, but with no website and no recent activity on their FB page, it seems Sully & Co have moved onto other things

I seem to rember that copped quite a bit of criticism on here too, but I think Rotec may have said that it pedalled well.

A long shot but a few years ago there was a company that kicked off and they copped an absolute hiding on here. I think the back end had a really small triangle then just a solid single piece on either side to the axle.
I thought it was something like Labyrinth, any ideas from my shit description?

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I seem to rember that copped quite a bit of criticism on here too, but I think Rotec may have said that it pedalled well.

A long shot but a few years ago there was a company that kicked off and they copped an absolute hiding on here. I think the back end had a really small triangle then just a solid single piece on either side to the axle.
Wasn't that an early design by Pole, before migrating to the Maestro/DW/Mondraker system?
I think they were just on PB last week with an updated trail bike....

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
run THAT through your kimematics program, vrock!!!
I remember when that came out. Dirt had a high opinion of it when they reviewed it.
I can’t remember but it may have been part of the early low long and slack movement.
The guy behind it is now working at GTand worked on the new fury with the idler.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Both Lenz and Rotec were making concentric-pivot DH bikes as if the design was the 2nd coming of Jesus. The ironic part that while they thought it was the "best possible" pedaling...it was actually pretty much the worst, absolutely no AS to counter pedaling movements. I think there was actually a cove at some point too? I demoed one of these pieces of crap and was blown away at how poor it was.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I remember when that came out. Dirt had a high opinion of it when they reviewed it.
I can’t remember but it may have been part of the early low long and slack movement.
The guy behind it is now working at GTand worked on the new fury with the idler.
i remember he was also one of the first to release higher end steel coils that were light weight. he also made thrust bearings for forks and i think rear shocks.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Didn't anglesets start back in the early 2000s with this sexy beast?

I had a black for a fair while, it worked pretty well until a bushing fell out.

EDIT- New commencal fat bike-
1571828433476.jpeg

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Pretty sure FTW could make a DJ frame up to any spec you want. Not sure what it would cost but.......

Last edited:

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
i can't say for certain but i swear i read somewhere earlier this year that he's not currently accepting custom frame orders, too busy with other fabrication.
He said something along that line when he was on Vital podcast earlier this year. But who knows, it's been a few months since.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He said something along that line when he was on Vital podcast earlier this year. But who knows, it's been a few months since.
oh yea maybe that's where i heard it. i know he's doing the welding for spooky, and maybe some other small companies. he was doing fab work for non bike stuff for a while, not sure if he's still involved with that.