Quantcast

Random new bike thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Aside from the dog crap covered tires, very tasty indeed. I'd put 27 wheels on that biatch though.
Mate of mine just got one. Those things are friggen sick. A touch more travel and it'd be unstoppable. Really nicely finished as well.

Honestly, anyone who has thrown around an old school 40lb DH bike won't have an issue with the wheelsize. It will feel like a BMX by comparison.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Whereas this seems like a silly solution...

There's some great ideas in there (like the adjustability), but nothing obvious you can't get from other brands. I just don't understand the invisible shock thing. Is it really just for aesthetic reasons, or is there another good reason for it? I mean it looks "clean" I guess, but you're limited to a couple of sub-awesome shocks. Just getting the shock set up sounds like a royal pain in the arse - to the point where I'd probably give up after getting it to the point of "good enough".

Not for me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Aside from a two yr fling with a 5 spot I've ridden an RFX since 2002. That's crazy. I wish Turner had the... cash? drive? to keep advancing his frames. they're really quite good for what I like to do with a bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The rumour on empty beer is that Turner is done, which is a shame. I've enjoyed riding four different Turner frames and still riding a seven year old Burner as my trail bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The rumour on empty beer is that Turner is done, which is a shame. I've enjoyed riding four different Turner frames and still riding a seven year old Burner as my trail bike.
It's been a rumor for a while..last few years. I don't think anything has changed, literally, he doesn't seem to be actively making new bikes, but some of the models are in stock.

I think carbon frames somewhat backfired for some, especially Dave. You invest a lot in a good carbon mold and design...then 6 months later every tells you we should be running 90 degree seat tubes. I'm not sure the quality carbon market can move as fast as the industry/lizards wanted and ironically, it's easier to re-arrange a welding jig a little bit, than the investment of a carbon fiber frame mold, hence GG, Ibis Ripmo As Fuck, etc. Everyone loses their head because Pivot doesn't release new version of their bike every 6 months, even though they do address their full lineup.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Optic won BOTY on PB, I like the look of it but recommended sizing looks weird for me.

Their size chart has me midway in their XL at 6'2", which is 20mm longer ETT and 55mm longer reach than my current 648/455mm #'s.
The large is 637/480mm and looks far more doable.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hasn’t Turner been “dead” since like three years before they went carbon on the RFX? I’m not saying they’re not teetering on the edge of doom, but somehow they’ve hung on this long, maybe pulling a Canfield?

Optic won BOTY on PB, I like the look of it but recommended sizing looks weird for me.

Their size chart has me midway in their XL at 6'2", which is 20mm longer ETT and 55mm longer reach than my current 648/455mm #'s.
The large is 637/480mm and looks far more doable.
Kids these days love long bikes, and I gotta say, I was a little scared of how long my Rid Egg was, but after riding it a bunch, I fully dig it. It’s a solid inch longer than my previous Intense which I felt was too long, but I think the fact that the rear end is so short fixed everything that was wrong with the Intense. Norco appear to be on the same or similar page as far as geometry goes as Egg. If you can, give the XL a ride and see what it’s all about, you just might like it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Some cool ideas going on with this bike, if they manage to get all the parts to play nicely together it should be pretty dialed.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
thoughts if it was 27.5?
Personally 27.5 suits me better.
but I still like #Unfashionable sketchy/playful little rear wheel happy 26" bikes.
I'd happily have one (I'm not in the market for a new trail bike tho) but for the reasons earlier I know I'd also be happiest on a size small (despite being 5'11")

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
Hasn’t Turner been “dead” since like three years before they went carbon on the RFX? I’m not saying they’re not teetering on the edge of doom, but somehow they’ve hung on this long, maybe pulling a Canfield?

Kids these days love long bikes, and I gotta say, I was a little scared of how long my Rid Egg was, but after riding it a bunch, I fully dig it. It’s a solid inch longer than my previous Intense which I felt was too long, but I think the fact that the rear end is so short fixed everything that was wrong with the Intense. Norco appear to be on the same or similar page as far as geometry goes as Egg. If you can, give the XL a ride and see what it’s all about, you just might like it.
Haven’t had a go on the new optic but have demoed a new sight, and I’m on the line between a large and XL on the sight at bang on 6 foot. The steep seat angle makes the reach and stack numbers useless as it places your body closer to the front end of the bike. The other thing with the sight is that the seat angle get steeper as the frames go up in size. Not sure if the optic does that but it makes a difference. I think there was only 10-15mm difference in “reach” (Centre of seat rails with saddle at riding height to centre of the top cap) where as on paper there is a 40mm difference in reach

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Recommended size for the Optic at 6'2" has me on an XL which is longer ETT and reach than the large Nicolai Saturn 14 ST also on my current shortlist. That's not a small bike either, so that XL is really getting up there. I need to swing a leg over one to see what they feel like.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Check out this dentist rig..

Not pictured is the full AXS group with dropper post. E-wings, Chromag bits, zip wheels, 7-11 shock etc etc. 10/10 would bang

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’d ride that with a fox or super deluxe, metal rims, flat pedals and a derailleur with a cable.

Not feeling the nu metal fender either.