Quantcast

Random new bike thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

This thing rocks. Great geo, CS length varies between sizes. I've had a bit of shitty luck and experiences with Norco frame durability in the past , but haven't owned one in over 12 years so I'm sure they've sorted that out by now.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

This thing rocks. Great geo, CS length varies between sizes. I've had a bit of shitty luck and experiences with Norco frame durability in the past , but haven't owned one in over 12 years so I'm sure they've sorted that out by now.
Yeah that looks awesome. Good stuff, Norco.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
Norco seem to be on point at the moment, first the optic and now the sight. 2 well speced lines of bikes with good geos and kind of keen to see what they have in store for the range.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Norco seem to be on point at the moment, first the optic and now the sight. 2 well speced lines of bikes with good geos and kind of keen to see what they have in store for the range.
agree. went to have a look at the frame-only options. I like the look of the blue aluminium ones...

but 148 rear spacing and press-fit bb.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

We have been on them in '17, '18, and '19 and if anything now they are overbuilt. Our whole team has not any durability
issue with them at all. My Carbon Range actually feels kind of tankish. It has a heavier carbon layup and will hold a straight line like a dh rig. it is not the lightest but burly for sure. I need to move up a frame size though, and I am really excited about what they have done with the Optic and Sight.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
agree. went to have a look at the frame-only options. I like the look of the blue aluminium ones...

but 148 rear spacing and press-fit bb.
Press fit is unfortunate, but can you even think of a new bike that's still 142mm? I guess Banshee still has their swappable dropouts, but that's got its own downsides (weight). Boost didn't really solve anything, but it's just the way the world is now.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Press fit is unfortunate, but can you even think of a new bike that's still 142mm? I guess Banshee still has their swappable dropouts, but that's got its own downsides (weight). Boost didn't really solve anything, but it's just the way the world is now.
wasn't really a complaint. more of an observation. that info was missing from every review and even the spec sheet on their site. I needed to go to the "build my ride" function to see what BB and hubs were available to spec. seems that both boost and press fit are here to stay.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wheels mnfg makes thread together bbs for most press fit configurations

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Are press fit BB's still a problem? I figured that would be sorted out by now. I mean after all, threaded BB's are just bearings pressed into cups. And yes I understand it is harder to hold tolerances on a bearing bore if you are doing it post-weld in an aluminum frame, but fixturing should be able to take care of that.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I haven't had any issues with pressfit yet, although I only run Shimano cranks and don't care about reusability of $30 BBs. 148 spcing isn't anything I'd get hung up on either unless I wanted to reuse a hub from 2015.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Do you guys know how Norco is doing the lengthening of the CS on their bikes nowadays?
Are they still moving the anchoring points of the rear triangle rearward as the sizes increase?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Do you guys know how Norco is doing the lengthening of the CS on their bikes nowadays?
Are they still moving the anchoring points of the rear triangle rearward as the sizes increase?
Wouldn't you?

Makes the most sense from a manufacturing perspective.

I haven't compared some of the brand new frame sizes next to each other to be sure though. I'm just assuming so.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Wouldn't you
yes, sure, it makes most sense from a production point of view since the front triangle is the only part of the frame that changes between sizes. But the enginerd inside me likes the way taken by Raaw where they lengthen the chainstay for the bigger sizes and changes the LR so that it fits heavier rider. It feels more optimised somehow...:pleasantry:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
yes, sure, it makes most sense from a production point of view since the front triangle is the only part of the frame that changes between sizes. But the enginerd inside me likes the way taken by Raaw where they lengthen the chainstay for the bigger sizes and changes the LR so that it fits heavier rider. It feels more optimised somehow...:pleasantry:
The RAAW is such a nice riding bike. There’s lots of clever ideas in there.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The RAAW is such a nice riding bike. There’s lots of clever ideas in there.
It seems indeed well engineered.
I never rode one personally but a riding buddy of mine living in Mallorca had one between a Wreckoning and now a SB150... I don't know if he was offended by the fact that it was an aluminium bike but he complained about the CS being too long for its riding style. I hope to be able to try one in the future to get my own biased opinion ;)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
PB_161_Side-web_900x.jpg

These guys tick a lot of boxes.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
View attachment 138512

These guys tick a lot of boxes.
Agree thats a pretty baller bike for the money, although I was shocked at how many people actually work at the company. Guess they're planning on selling an Imperial shit tonne of bikes (one model atm no less).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Agree thats a pretty baller bike for the money, although I was shocked at how many people actually work at the company. Guess they're planning on selling an Imperial shit tonne of bikes (one model atm no less).
Three people in warranty and managers for everything. Are there any non-managers? I guess thats the one non-executive director dude. What about the executive director?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
but wait...i thought the monkey didn't like trunion mount shocks?

re: company size, looks like they also have a different brand (Hunt?) that does more road/bikepacking type stuff...

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
they all look real nice.
At 6'2" I was always XL on "old" sizing of bikes. With all the new geo I always seem to be at the very top end of large or very low end of XL sizing. It makes me think I have the choice of feeling squashed or too stretched for most manufacturers.