Quantcast

Random new bike thread

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
After receiving my YT the other day, I was very impressed w/ the overall buying process. The price was great, the packaging was top notch, if I wasn't an OCD lunatic I could have had that bike from the box to trail in an hour...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
That Scout is very nice. 140/150mm bikes are so capable and covering some much ground. With enough progression and a good shock, 150mm hits the sweet spot.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I'd take one of those Scouts any day. My original Scout was the most fun bike I'd ever owned and this one looks even more capable. Wonder when they'll update the Patrol again - although I'm sure they'll do the Sentinel first.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Wonder when they'll update the Patrol again
They just did, they call it the Scout now.

I had hopes that they would have keep the travel down on V3 Scout, or at least make the travel possibility 130/140 instead of the 140/150. Not a lot of options for shorter travel robust bikes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They just did, they call it the Scout now.

I had hopes that they would have keep the travel down on V3 Scout, or at least make the travel possibility 130/140 instead of the 140/150. Not a lot of options for shorter travel robust bikes.
Yeah fair. Anything less travel than that all the fun bikes are 29ers now except maybe the Evil Calling and I think the RM Thunderbolt? I always ran my old Scout at 150mm front anyway, and I'm not too bothered that its got 0.5" more out back. It just looks burlier now and lighter - both good things. Can see why people would want a zippier option though

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah fair. Anything less travel than that all the fun bikes are 29ers now except maybe the Evil Calling and I think the RM Thunderbolt? I always ran my old Scout at 150mm front anyway, and I'm not too bothered that its got 0.5" more out back. It just looks burlier now and lighter - both good things. Can see why people would want a zippier option though
Homer guy here being a homer, but the GG Shred Dogg checks the 140/130 mm with 27.5 hoops box pretty darn well. Plus, the frame is 100% Corona Virus free.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Homer guy here being a homer, but the GG Shred Dogg checks the 140/130 mm with 27.5 hoops box pretty darn well. Plus, the frame is 100% Corona Virus free.
When I got my '17 Scout the only other bike on the list was the Shred Dogg. I'm a big fan of adjustable rear travel, 3 prior bikes were Titus Motolite, Tracer and Carbine. Carbine in 6 inch mode with Elka rear and Lyrik coil up front at 160 was a truly awesome papier maché bike...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
shred dogg fucker

or shred dog

fucker

Maybe a comma?

shred dog, fucker

Yeah that's it: shred dog, fucker

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Not particularly good looking but, it's a new bike, this is the DH forum, and I can't find the Canfield thread right now. Skull headtube gusset reminds my of the early aughts, so that's kinda cool and also kinda kill-list.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Not particularly good looking but, it's a new bike, this is the DH forum, and I can't find the Canfield thread right now. Skull headtube gusset reminds my of the early aughts, so that's kinda cool and also kinda kill-list.

I always associated Canfield with the high pivot idler/ rearward axle path designed downhill rig.
They decided to just build a DH bike with a more traditional design? Seems strange considering the return and recent success of the modern High pivot rigs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I always associated Canfield with the high pivot idler/ rearward axle path designed downhill rig.
They decided to just build a DH bike with a more traditional design? Seems strange considering the return and recent success of the modern High pivot rigs.
the is the new iteration of the One, and looks very similar to the old one. you're thinking of the jedi. which, hopefully we'll see a new version of as well.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Same here, but I think they've been working on their dual link system ("Canfield Balance Formula") for awhile and I guess wanted to use that, and that's also what Revel is using now that Chris is there (or at least working with them). While I'm not particularly charmed with the aesthetics, its a solid price point and its nice to another DH bike on the market.