Quantcast

Random new bike thread

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm wondering when the whole industry is going to go on 30% Off because of Corona.
I haven't seen prices really budge in any of the markets I've been looking at. Also wondering when this is going to happen generally... i.e. we know you're affected, we know you're sitting on product, when are you going to try to adjust in response to the new customer behavior.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I haven't seen prices really budge in any of the markets I've been looking at. Also wondering when this is going to happen generally... i.e. we know you're affected, we know you're sitting on product, when are you going to try to adjust in response to the new customer behavior.

I am guessing we are just as likely to see supply shortfalls.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I am guessing we are just as likely to see supply shortfalls.
Yes, there's definitely that as well. I was more talking about the stuff that folks are selling on their sites right now.

Noticed Jenson is selling Norco now. Seems like a deal to move product in a world where bike stores may be closed or otherwise risky business.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, there's definitely that as well. I was more talking about the stuff that folks are selling on their sites right now.

Noticed Jenson is selling Norco now. Seems like a deal to move product in a world where bike stores may be closed or otherwise risky business.
If I could work out if I need an L or XL Optic I'd be waiting to pick one up for tree fiddy later this year...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Raaw is such a fun bike to ride. Kazimer got the cornering part right in his review. This thing rails! It's normally got a 36 on there but the 40 makes her feel invinceable.... and I shuttle a lot.
Seat angle too steep. Needs a shithouse remote and 498 extra cables...

Wait. Wrong bike. The Madonna looks like someone built a bike for people that actually ride and don't just make Youtube influencer vids....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Where are those privateer bikes being built? Both look great. Slight preference for the Raaw... no desire for 29" wheels however.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Privateer just seems like it's taken the seat angle thing a little too far...

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Really like. Their web sight says no mullet option tho, makes BB too low. Not really sure if I want to go 29 or not, only 5'10"

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Really like. Their web sight says no mullet option tho, makes BB too low. Not really sure if I want to go 29 or not, only 5'10"
What is a too low BB though? I ride a Hightower frame with 33mm BB drop in low setting with standard 27" wheels (bike is 160/150), BB is a hair under 13" high, rides just fine in east coast roxx.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
What is a too low BB thought? I ride a Hightower frame with 33mm BB drop in low setting with standard 27" wheels (bike is 160/150), BB is a hair under 13" high, rides just fine in east coast roxx.
I'd be pushing the bike after ratcheting for 1/2 a mile. Lol. It must be a blast downhill.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Sick bike for sure. First frames are getting built at the moment. From the german forum:

those welds look ON POINT.

i dunno. i got 170 cranks and rode my nomad in 26 for a while. i had to adjust how i pedaled a but (especially after coming from my super tall uzzi). when i switched to 27.5 really didn't notice any difference at all.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Same height but with a big wingspan and 31in inseam, picked up a 29'r a few weeks ago and would never go back for my local trails (Boise, ID).

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Ug, I talked so much shit for many years about 29" wheels. Have pretty much settles on being a 650 person, however they are becoming harder and harder to come by. Privateer def checks all the boxes, hope they can survive the covid. Looking to replace my Meta v4 next season.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Ug, I talked so much shit for many years about 29" wheels. Have pretty much settles on being a 650 person, however they are becoming harder and harder to come by. Privateer def checks all the boxes, hope they can survive the covid. Looking to replace my Meta v4 next season.
Not many to be had for sure. I’m looking to buy something 27.5 right now. The leftover Meta AM Race I wanted, I didn’t jump on quick enough. Probably going to grab a Canyon Spectral. Or a RM Instinct. The YT Jeffsy in 27.5 looks nice too, but finding one in stock is impossible.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Same height but with a big wingspan and 31in inseam, picked up a 29'r a few weeks ago and would never go back for my local trails (Boise, ID).
Basically the same for me, except I've been on a flex wheeler for a year or so now. I still have my 26" bikes (Chromag and OG Megatrail), and I do enjoy switching it up every so often, but for local stuff (central NC), my GG Trail Pistola is 100% the right answer.

FWIW, my Pistola is almost dead on a 13" BB, and seems like a great blend of kidwoo approved lowness and not having to worry where I pedal all the time (still clip things occassionally tho).

FWIW2, as @jstuhlman said above, the Megatrail is another 27.5 option that is either less than the RAAW for a frame only, or almost the exact same if the RAAW number on PB includes a shock. They even offer POTUS Orange decals if you want to go full Cofefev >:(

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not many to be had for sure. I’m looking to buy something 27.5 right now. The leftover Meta AM Race I wanted, I didn’t jump on quick enough. Probably going to grab a Canyon Spectral. Or a RM Instinct. The YT Jeffsy in 27.5 looks nice too, but finding one in stock is impossible.
The Instinct is 29”, did you mean an Altitude?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Aren't you working for Scott?
Yes, but only part time and I'm also responsible for the trailbuilding in Champery and Morgins as well as consulting for Chatel Bikepark. I live in a bikepark and like to try a lot of bikes and parts. Kind of like a functioning ski/bike bum with lots of side jobs.

how many bikes do you have?
Ima hoarder.
More than I would like to admit. I have a lot of old bikes too like a Yeti DH6, Lahar, Zerode, Heckler, Super8, etc. No road, gravel or XC bikes though. The closest bikes I had to an xc bike was a Scout and a Smuggler oh and a Spark with a 160mm 36. I'm fascinated with geometry/suspension and I like to feel it for myself.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
privateer is part of several direct order brands like hunt wheels, why should they not survive?