Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I'm wondering when the whole industry is going to go on 30% Off because of Corona.
Maybe in another month if we don't get another stimulus. East Burke Sports just put last year's SC bikes on 30% off, so they're probably a long way away from putting 2020s on sale that much.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Maybe in another month if we don't get another stimulus. East Burke Sports just put last year's SC bikes on 30% off, so they're probably a long way away from putting 2020s on sale that much.
Everyone's response to this seems awfully slow. Maybe they're selling... seems unlikely.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Owned an Altitude, cool bike...when it worked. Had a lot of PITA issues dealing with RMs shitty QC and months long warranty process. Much happier with my alloy Bronson V3 - much better fit/finish and geometry suits me better. However, the rear suspension was better on the Altitude (more progressive, had a nice bottomless feel) and it was lighter (don't really care about the latter but some do).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are you looking at HSPs?
I've got a shortlist of random bikes I'll consider when I get a new trail bike, every now and then I'll add a new bike to it. Right now I can ride the Turner for another year as long as I can get the suspension working cleanly. I've got stiction somewhere when I moved it last week for the first time since October. I've got a rear shock service kit and fork seals to change out.

Right now based on price it would be hard to look past a Commencal Meta TR. Their complete with decent suspension and GX drivetrain is the same price as that Highlander frame only.
Others on there right now are:
Banshee Prime
Forbidden Druid
Nukeproof Reactor
Norco Optic
Rid Egg Trail Pistol(a) or Smash
Hightower
Jeffsy not fitting a full size bottle would make it tough for me as plenty of short rides in the summer from home I need a full bottle.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah - the Comm and YT are still best bang for the buck. I’d wait for the next gen of YTs personally.

Transitions are on sale now.

This quarantine has me really itching to get a 29er trail bike to replace the Capra. I guess it remains to be seen what trails and trips will be happening this summer. :/

I've got a shortlist of random bikes I'll consider when I get a new trail bike, every now and then I'll add a new bike to it. Right now I can ride the Turner for another year as long as I can get the suspension working cleanly. I've got stiction somewhere when I moved it last week for the first time since October. I've got a rear shock service kit and fork seals to change out.

Right now based on price it would be hard to look past a Commencal Meta TR. Their complete with decent suspension and GX drivetrain is the same price as that Highlander frame only.
Others on there right now are:
Banshee Prime
Forbidden Druid
Nukeproof Reactor
Norco Optic
Rid Egg Trail Pistol(a) or Smash
Hightower
Jeffsy not fitting a full size bottle would make it tough for me as plenty of short rides in the summer from home I need a full bottle.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This quarantine has me really itching to get a 29er trail bike to replace the Capra. I guess it remains to be seen what trails and trips will be happening this summer. :/
I'd been on 29er's for years before the 27.5 Burner, now I've had that 8 years and want to get back on the big wheels for its replacement. Yesterday was the first time S and I had tried to go anywhere near singletrack since COVID and it wasn't worth the effort. Once the snow starts to melt we'll have to stick with the backcountry rides that don't start near anywhere to try and avoid people.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
His isn't the Reactor, it's the longer travel bike in their range, the Mega?
oh, right.
this is nice!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I forget why I'm supposed to be mad about trunnion, but this thing is RAD!

Also the new Sentinel!

damn you Covid...
I think we're supposed to be mad about trunnion is because instead of the normal replaceable reducers etc, you've now got load bearing threads in the shock body itself to get mangled.

Yeah, that Sentinel looks very nice. Slightly concerned about grinding small rocks down between near the BB and the chainstays though.

That seat angle on the P 161 just looks painful for anything other than grinding up super steep climbs though.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is there a different type of climbing out here?

In seriousness, I'd like to test ride a bike with this extreme of geometry first, but I doubt I'll have the opportunity any time soon.

I would have bought this frame already if it weren't for Covid. :(

That seat angle on the P 161 just looks painful for anything other than grinding up super steep climbs though.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I think we're supposed to be mad about trunnion is because instead of the normal replaceable reducers etc, you've now got load bearing threads in the shock body itself to get mangled.

Yeah, that Sentinel looks very nice. Slightly concerned about grinding small rocks down between near the BB and the chainstays though.

Totally agree about the seat angle thing. I went from riding a micro sized wheeled large Stumpy Evo to a now after bastardization XL Mega 290 that has a wheelbase of ~1325mm with a non chopper ~66 HA and 50mm stem. Pretty hard pressed to make a more drastic change than that. The most immediate takeaway for me was that the forward bias weighted the front wheel far more on the Mega and my arms were not used to providing that much support and I needed to retrain myself with how I handled undulating trails since a bike ought to ride well with the seat raised for going both up and riding flat/jank. The seat angle and forward bias didn't preclude me riding anything I normally did, but there are some trade-offs and compromises. Riding the Stumpy was totally the opposite. Providing a slight center forward bias provided great gripbetween both wheels and small movements could be used get weight off the front when needed for dealing with janky stuff.

That said the Mega has a reasonable seat angle that isn't very extreme and perhaps it could tolerate a little steeper, but IMO there is a point where you effectively have a seat angle that is only really effective for fire-road climbing in your wimpy man 52 tooth gear. The biggest improvement I've seen with myself for riding up challenging stuff is if I get off my ass and work my core strength. I'm a squid and hardly get out to ride as much as I'd like because I'm a slave to other life things and I was shocked how much my technical 'uphill' ability improved on a quick local trail after doing pushups and some situps every day for 1.5 months in spite of not touching the bike as it was winter at the time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think that privateer may have steered a little too far toward vertical, but I think the problem has been that so many "ENDURO" frames use a sub-70 degree seat angle that might work in a specific seat height, but never works outside of that. So, if you're tall or short, your knees are completely fucked while riding in the saddle. It's easy to jam your seat back or get an offset post- it's very very hard to get a 0 offset dropper or saddle that can keep you in a reasonable position. This is why I attempted the retarded seatpost dropper fun time jam on the Evil following. I ended up having to reverse a thomson post and jam a Fizik Thar saddle all the way forward to emulate the same saddle position as a spec enduro with a layback post and normal saddle, all to get a "slightly aggressive" saddle position on a normal hardtail or road bike.

For reference, I usually set up my bikes so that they climb well but can go up or down with my ass in the saddle. Eastern MA has too many undulating trails to be standing to descend 5ft, then seated to climb 10ft, then standing, etc. If you can keep you butt planted but your weight balanced, you can descend effectively but climb as well. So that aggressive but balanced saddle position is essential and all but impossible on an Evil frame.

I'm not fully sure what the super far-forward position of the Privateer achieves, but I believe it would be easily correctible with any of the many, many offset droppers readily available, and for once I'd see a saddle jammed back in the rails rather than jammed all the way forward

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm not fully sure what the super far-forward position of the Privateer achieves, but I believe it would be easily correctible with any of the many, many offset droppers readily available, and for once I'd see a saddle jammed back in the rails rather than jammed all the way forward
If your climbs are mostly grinding up a fire road for a few thousand feet of vert, the "fuck it, we're doing five blades" kind of steep is great.

Of course, as you've noted, not everybody's are. But it's got a place for sure.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
If your climbs are mostly grinding up a fire road for a few thousand feet of vert, the "fuck it, we're doing five blades" kind of steep is great.

Of course, as you've noted, not everybody's are. But it's got a place for sure.
it's my favorite place in the world and i'd be willing to put up with the seat angle for local rides. that said, le nomad is a pretty good middle ground (and i still run my seat all the way back on the rails).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Grind up something steep is all the riding here pretty much, unless you are trying to maximize non technical fireroad just to cram in extra miles.

That said, my Capra Size L feels pretty dang slack in the STA on these steep climbs.

Regional differences, maybe, and I’d love to test ride one.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To be fair, he acknowledged that the downtube is janky and he's planning on doing a proper bent one for V2. This was more just a test bed for his geometry experiment, and he did the things that were easy to build, not polished.

I, uh, am a bit skeptical about some of the geo numbers, but it's cool to see someone trying wild shit out to see what actually works.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
To be fair, he acknowledged that the downtube is janky and he's planning on doing a proper bent one for V2. This was more just a test bed for his geometry experiment, and he did the things that were easy to build, not polished.

I, uh, am a bit skeptical about some of the geo numbers, but it's cool to see someone trying wild shit out to see what actually works.
agree, but ho lee shit what an abortion. Function over form I guess. If you’re going through all the trouble to build a frame how hard is it to get access to a mandrel bender? That would be far easier than 2 additional circumferential welds on thin wall tubing.

I’m obviously no engineer maybe bending the tubes weakens them more than welding? That would surprise me. Homeboy has some faith in his welding, personally I don’t much care for trips to the dentist.

Thing looks like it fell out of the bong shed. Is that a 95* seat angle? The Future is nao.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I get it, that thing is crazy. But if you read the article it's pretty clearly a mule built to try the geometry.

I mean, check out the look on that dude's face, he knows the internet jockeys will have a field day.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I get it, that thing is crazy. But if you read the article it's pretty clearly a mule built to try the geometry.
This. If every prototype of everything was done to mass-production ready polish, nothing would ever get done.

This is a quick and dirty proof of concept for the geo. Good on him for doing it. All you goons making fun of a bike that's still infinitely cooler than any frame you've made are hilarious.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
This. If every prototype of everything was done to mass-production ready polish, nothing would ever get done.

This is a quick and dirty proof of concept for the geo. Good on him for doing it. All you goons making fun of a bike that's still infinitely cooler than any frame you've made are hilarious.
settle down.

It’s a cool concept and it’s an ambitious project to even get on paper, so to get a (un?)ridabru prototype off the ground is a whole other ball of wax. Good on him. If you can’t make fun of stuff on the interwebz anymore then what good is it??

-edit- the woke movement has apparently moved on to bikes, I will take note. Someone please let @kidwoo know.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
CALMER THAN YOU ARE!!!!

I'm all for making fun of shit that deserves it. I just don't think this is it.