Quantcast

Random new bike thread

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Here's a Bronson MX FAQ entry from the SC site. Interestingly RC looks like it's proportionately longer than it was on the V3. I wonder if that was in response to what they outline below. * I would think the effect they're referencing about 29/29 is really about having the same axle height, regardless of wheelsize.

"I've been riding 29ers for a while- what will feel different with MX? Any setup tips?

29" bikes provide a ton of front wheel grip- this is partially due to the front wheel itself, but also due to the axle height of the rear wheel which works to keep the front end weighted. This creates a natural position on lower-angle terrain but requires body position and/or setup adjustments to achieve any sort of rearward bias.

On an MX bike, the bias is more rearward. This gives a very natural feeling on steep descents, but requires some body position and setup consideration for a balanced feel on flatter terrain. Compared to a 29er, a slightly lower handlebar and a more forward-biased suspension setup will make an MX bike feel more like what you're used to. Additionally, using the Hi BB setting will lend itself to a more front biased feel. Using these tuning parameters will help you find the sweet spot for your terrain and preference.

You'll know you have it dialed when it feels like you're never making large bodyweight shifts to either lift the front end or keep it stuck to the ground."

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I stumbled onto most of those observations as well. First thing I did was put the Altitude in it’s steepest position, wheelbase in shortest, and slammed the stem (which I had never, ever done before).
Fairly obvious mods, really.
Also went to 165 cranks, and will soon be going to a 2.6 rear tire to bring the static height as high as it can be (Without going to a 2.8, I mean, that would be stupid. Right? Right?)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dobordelu == Do bordelu == [headed] to a whorehouse

bordel is a swear word, not one you'd use in front of your kids
Thought it might have something to do with that. We have the exact same word en français.. bordel. But it's kind of in common usage actually... Your hear it lots, even on family shows.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Thought it might have something to do with that. We have the exact same word en français.. bordel. But it's kind of in common usage actually... Your hear it lots, even on family shows.
Yeah, bordel is on the same level as kurva (a whore) in Czech. Definitely a big no-no in any official, media or family use.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, bordel is on the same level as kurva (a whore) in Czech. Definitely a big no-no in any official, media or family use.
Kurva is such a great word. It rolls off the tongue so well. A coworker I used to ride with many years ago was Polish and he taught it to us. Phonetically, It just works so well to express anger or disgust.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Kurva is such a great word. It rolls off the tongue so well. A coworker I used to ride with many years ago was Polish and he taught it to us. Phonetically, It just works so well to express anger or disgust.
Yeah, I am guilty as charged. I've read that when Milos Forman emigrated to the US, kurva was very quickly adopted by his film companies, becoming a very popular word among his filming staff. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wasn't bad at a distance..then I zoomed in and saw the chain doing all sorts of weird shit and the dildo in the down tube...I guess it's a back up should you break your seat and need to stay put...help with pedaling I guess...
Not sure what you're seeing but it looks like a cable driven shock to me, with the cable routed around the pulley there. If true that is way weirder/more interesting than the chain route. Think of all the possibilities for changing the leverage rate with weird pulley shapes.

Remember those Nautilus exercise machines? Like that only re-concepted for your DH bike!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not sure what you're seeing but it looks like a cable driven shock to me, with the cable routed around the pulley there. If true that is way weirder/more interesting than the chain route. Think of all the possibilities for changing the leverage rate with weird pulley shapes.

Remember those Nautilus exercise machines? Like that only re-concepted for your DH bike!
There was one like that a while back I saw...I'm sure it'll have some benefits etc...but yeah I didn't get a nautilus back then and don't want to bomb trails on one lol...
That's funny though I do remember resistance and cables of those ...
Yeah different cams can make for curves rise and drop like a bow.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay