Quantcast

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Still cannot ride a wheelie. Its almost like my ability has decreased somehow?
I too cannot ride a wheelie... and saw "manual machine" referenced on TGR recently:

And thought about building one out of scrap wood, couldn't hurt...

PS:

Still having trouble with your manual? You’re most likely having trouble with one of the following …
1. Going too big, too fast does not work. Start small and work to feel the balance point on the bike.

2. Use your weight, do not pull up with your arms.

3. Shifting your weight back is what brings the front of the bike up (“lofting”), not ‘pulling’ the bars up (“lifting”). If you pull the bars up without shifting your weight back, the front will quickly go back down.

4. Do not cut the corner. Down and back at the same time, does not work. Think L shape, down THEN back.

5. Are you getting the front end up, but it wont stay up? Lower you center of mass by bringing your hips down closer to the rear wheel.

6. If on the the trail, keep a finger over your rear brake at all times. If at any point in this move you feel you are going to flip off the back of the bike, applying the back brake will bring the front wheel back down.

7. Once you’re ready for the trail, practice this skill by placing a stick on a slight downward (smooth) path and see how long / far you can hold the wheel lift. Some speed will keep the bike more stable.

After some focused practice on this skill you’ll be riding manuals all over the place – good luck!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do you push the bike away from you while you lift the front through pedaling hard?
Theories exist. I however do not subscribe to them. Compelling evidence has been offered. Yet my path to failure is constant. Simply my failures has been noted and yet I continue to make them....