Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just had a couple of pints with sstalder5
Started with iwit 2.0 from ferral brewing in aussie, a 7.5% wheat beer.... Hard to finish more like a half way between a cider and a savignion blanc than a beer.

Next a Nøgne imperial stout. fvcking amazing!

Coranado Islander IPA with some garlic bread that had been liberally "Soaked" in a bitchin chilli sauce.

Then Green flash West Coast IPA.

A good night out. :)

sstalder5's pretty cool, had a good chat to him, pretty laid back dude. :)
Mmmm... Green Flash....

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Some of the champagne of beers (yes I know...broke...)
And now on to some Fat Tire.

Was informed today that "further training was pointless" at my temp job since I am starting a permanent position Wednesday, so cheers.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So tonight I've had;
Ballast point Brothers Leovian Saison
Ballast point Dorado IIPA
Invercargil Brewery pitch black stout (Nitro mix)

And I've brought a bottle of Mikkeller "Texas Ranger" Smoked chipolte porter home with me.
Bliss :)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Impressions?
I've had this beer quite a few times (seems to be on tap at least once a month at my local), I like it a lot.
The american hops just seem so much more grunty than the Kiwi ones.... even in NZ hopped beers with the same IBU's.
For some reason the NZ hops tend to be a lil sweeter.
But yeah a very very good IPA, nice west coast hopping with a good mix of bittering, flavouring and aroma hops, maybe a smidgin unbalanced towards the hops side but only just.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I like a Weihenstephaner Hefe as much as anyone, but they aren't inventive beers that make me sit up and say, "Where is that flavor/aroma coming from?"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm complaining about the straightjacket that German brewers have put themselves in. When I think of innovative beer and brewers, I don't think German. So I guess, really, it's a bit of both. I find most of the styles from Germany pretty boring.

It's not bad beer at all. Well made, dependable. But boring. Like a Toyota.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I'm complaining about the straightjacket that German brewers have put themselves in. When I think of innovative beer and brewers, I don't think German. So I guess, really, it's a bit of both. I find most of the styles from Germany pretty boring.

At least they have an excuse. I have yet to try a Canadian beer that wasn't crap.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
At least they have an excuse. I have yet to try a Canadian beer that wasn't crap.
Unibroue, St. Ambroise, Dieu de Ciel are all world-class. That's a drop in the bucket though, and if you're considering German macro vs. Canadian macro, it's no contest at all, Germany wins that in a first round knockout.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Unibroue, St. Ambroise, Dieu de Ciel are all world-class. That's a drop in the bucket though, and if you're considering German macro vs. Canadian macro, it's no contest at all, Germany wins that in a first round knockout.
I don't know. I think Fin du Monde is one of the most over rated beers out there and I like Belgian tripels. Maudite is so-so and some of their contract beers are terrible. I haven't tried the others but Unibroue is only good when graded on a Canadian curve.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Disagree with your appraisal of La Fin du Monde, but agree on the Maudite. I've never had any of their contract beers, so I can't comment on that. I like their darker stuff better, Trois Pistoles and Terrible. I'm probably looking at them with rose coloured (see what I did there? Clever, eh?) glasses though, since I have such fond memories of the 10-15 anniversary beers. I'm pretty sure those were mostly brewed before Sapporo bought them though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
In da fridge:

-SN Bigfoot
-Stone Ruination
-Deviant Dales
-Titan
-Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
-Deschutes Mirror Pond
-Deschutes Inversion
-Deschutes Obsidian
-Alaskan Black IPA
-Old Chub
-Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
-Celis Grand Cru
-Ale Smith Speedway

:cheers:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Had a few Green Flash Rayon Vert last night. It's like baby Orval. Going to have to have that side by side with Stone's version, but I have a feeling the Green Flash is better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've had this beer quite a few times (seems to be on tap at least once a month at my local), I like it a lot.
The american hops just seem so much more grunty than the Kiwi ones.... even in NZ hopped beers with the same IBU's.
For some reason the NZ hops tend to be a lil sweeter.
But yeah a very very good IPA, nice west coast hopping with a good mix of bittering, flavouring and aroma hops, maybe a smidgin unbalanced towards the hops side but only just.
re: differences in hops, could be the difference in alpha vs beta acids, as well as the malt they are brewed with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I like a Weihenstephaner Hefe as much as anyone, but they aren't inventive beers that make me sit up and say, "Where is that flavor/aroma coming from?"
Wait..... are you complaining about the brewers or the styles?????

Ever tried a berliner weise?

i'm kinda the same way with german brews. not much exciting or new, but what is there is reliable and consistent when I want the style. I'm a big fan of franziskaner, hacker pschorr, and ayinger. when the mood strikes that is.