Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

The simulated results show that for current levels of BMI prevalence the time to evacuate an aircraft is 76.6 s (95% CI, 76.2–76.9) for a narrow-body and 87.1 s (95% CI, 86.7–87.7) for a wide-body aircraft. Leaving current prevalence of BMI categories unchanged but increasing overall obesity by just 5% can lead to an increase of the egress time of approximately 2 s for the wide-body aircraft scenario. The egress time is significantly increased when greater percentages of obese passengers are considered. The results show that the egress time for a population with a demographic distribution similar to that expected in the next 30 years exceeds the current time limit of 90 s considered by aviation authorities for certification purposes of passenger aircraft.
Digging deeper into the weeds in that paper is some pretty interesting reading. If you're into that sort of thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Digging deeper into the weeds in that paper is some pretty interesting reading. If you're into that sort of thing.
You can generally identify what gates flights to Dallas or Atlanta are at by the propensity of obese passengers. I can only image a flight from Dallas to Atlanta looks like.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You can generally identify what gates flights to Dallas or Atlanta are at by the propensity of obese passengers. I can only image a flight from Dallas to Atlanta looks like.
i would rather have a layover in detroit than dallas or atlanta....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

My brother, the fire investigator, in case anyone thinks I'm too crass:

"I wonder if they run the numbers on accelerated fire spread based on the additional available BTU's at a point of ventilation in the fuselage."

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I will say that I do not ever recall seeing a clogged up shitter in an airplane.
I think they put a lot of focus into that particular piece of engineering.
I am sure, however, that Squeeb has seen such things.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I will say that I do not ever recall seeing a clogged up shitter in an airplane.
I think they put a lot of focus into that particular piece of engineering.
I am sure, however, that Squeeb has seen such things.
Oh, trust me. It happens.

Usually it's a water bottle, or a diaper. But sometimes, every once in a while, it's an iPhone.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
pesqueeb,I wanted to ask you a question. I was watching a 911 Documentry I have seen many time’s,but I thought of you.

Do you think a Boeing767 I think they say it was, crashed into the Pentagon? Just “that“ question on the topic.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It was a 757, and yes.
Sorry,757.

What evidence did you see that made you come to this decision?

I would have lost money on that one,I was sure you would say No! With you’re job and all.

Avy