Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
whoa that's what those are called!

There's a wrecked one in the woods behind my house (mid 80s crash I'm told), and about 5 years ago I watched one crash right in front of me leaving the little municipal airport in truckee. I know that fuselage :rofl:

edit: actually the one I saw was a LYCOMING. Similar styling to my untrained self

Couple things.

1. The ENGINE was manufactured by Lycoming. Generally speaking, general aviation aircraft builders use 1 of 2 engine manufacturers. Lycoming or Continental. There are some exceptions of course, but they tend to be rare.
2. As far as the FAA is concerned, that Lycoming engine had no business being in the incident aircraft. Per that report:
The airplane was powered by a Lycoming GO-480-G1D6 six-cylinder, air-cooled, geared-drive, carburetor-equipped engine rated at 280 horsepower, which was not original to the airplane.

A review of FAA airworthiness records and partial airplane maintenance records revealed no information regarding the installation of the engine. A search of the FAA Supplemental Type Certificate database found no STC's related to the Navion B aircraft model applicable to the accident airplane
Emphasis mine.

Couple things.

1. The ENGINE was manufactured by Lycoming. Generally speaking, general aviation aircraft builders use 1 of 2 engine manufacturers. Lycoming or Continental. There are some exceptions of course, but they tend to be rare.
2. As far as the FAA is concerned, that Lycoming engine had no business being in the incident aircraft. Per that report:

Emphasis mine.
Link to report, plz?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

I can't wait to see that 67-92% pay raise the pilot group got this year applied to the maintenance department!

:rolleyes:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I can't wait to see that 67-92% pay raise the pilot group got this year applied to the maintenance department!

:rolleyes:
Sounds like a business surplus.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So many threads this could go in!

On his return he tried to get recompense from Wizz Air, but he said it took almost two months for the cost of his original flights to be returned along with other legal compensation.
But, he said Wizz Air repeatedly ignored his claim for "consequential losses" - the £4,500 extra he had spent.
He took his case to the county court but said Wizz Air "ignored" the judgement made against the company, so bailiffs were sent in to the Wizz Air desk at Luton Airport.
"Their option was to hand over the money or the bailiffs would take it in goods - it might have been chairs, tables, computers or an aircraft," said Mr Quirk.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They're expensive toys, no doubt.
A guy I fly with for currency builds hotrod cubs up here. Like Carbon Cub, but a little more custom, also big on repairs and mods. He's got a shop where there's usually 4-6 being built at any one time.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A guy I fly with for currency builds hotrod cubs up here. Like Carbon Cub, but a little more custom, also big on repairs and mods. He's got a shop where there's usually 4-6 being built at any one time.
These things belong in AK that is for sure! Are they pontooning them for water craft?

In other news... what does it mean??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
If the airplane was designed to have a convertible model the chassis is strong enough without a roof

View attachment 191908
A man if your education will appreciate the "hydraulic hammer" theory of that incident, if you're not already aware.

Swearingen
Manufacturer, not operator. The airline I work for made a lot of money operating that aircraft type in it's early days.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
View attachment 191907

:fie:
Help me out here...who fucked up the most, the pilot going too fast, or ATC?
That's goddamn amazing that airplane was still in one piece!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Help me out here...who fucked up the most, the pilot going too fast, or ATC?
That's goddamn amazing that airplane was still in one piece!
50kts over pattern speed is a pretty big deal, as is overshooting parallel runways.