Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Short but fun ride today. Pretty much rode with this other family, I kept bumping into then at every intersection or in random spots. Even Strava thinks I rode with them.

Choices....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd assumed I still had at least a couple weeks left to make this one this year on rid egg, but it may be too late. :(
Wife and I normally give it a go later in October. With the forecast we pulled it forward.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It would royally suck if someone came down that...

Rode trail today. Big ass thunderstorm last night left shit all over the trails and a few new trees.

Speaking of shit, the horses have been going to town on this forest. Literally every trail has piles of poo on them. Today was all about making a choice, ride through greasy mud or ride through horse shit (sometimes both)...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
no in-ride pics, but as we were starting the people camping left and left this
1599528892664.jpeg

we put it out, of course.
then a good ride in the better pisgah. hadn't been up since june, and haven't been riding local much either, so the legs were grumpy. moving at high speeds through the woods on the downs was therapeutic as always.
parked the bike at the end en route to creekbeers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
no in-ride pics, but as we were starting the people camping left and left this
View attachment 149494
we put it out, of course.
then a good ride in the better pisgah. hadn't been up since june, and haven't been riding local much either, so the legs were grumpy. moving at high speeds through the woods on the downs was therapeutic as always.
parked the bike at the end en route to creekbeers.
Report to USFS? That should definitely result in a ban from the forest.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It would royally suck if someone came down that...
Yeah, but no one in Alaska (except me that day) is out riding at 9am on a Sunday.

When we get into winter, the sun comes up at 10am. That aligns perfectly with my weekend schedule.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
they were long gone...hard to know if that's worse or the way that people trash the hell outta roadside sites in the more popular/easily accessible areas. it's ridiculous.
I’d think burning down the forest is worse?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yeah...true. we put it out quick. always hear stories of folks finding campfires still burning in linville gorge too. people are morons.
If you have a good coal bed you have to work really hard to completely out out a fire. Actually had a fire on the beach get swamped by high tide and was able to stoke it back up at low tide.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
holy sheet. are there mtb trails there now? i remember going there as a kid to look for garnets . . . and also many times to play in the river just up the road on 67. fun fact: bridgewater and roxbury's elementary school classes were so small in the early 1980s that they brought over the roxbury kids in 4th grade to combine with us. then we all went to shepaug middle/high school. other fun fact: internationally-renowned sculptor Alexander Calder lived in Roxbury.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
holy sheet. are there mtb trails there now? i remember going there as a kid to look for garnets . . . and also many times to play in the river just up the road on 67. fun fact: bridgewater and roxbury's elementary school classes were so small in the early 1980s that they brought over the roxbury kids in 4th grade to combine with us. then we all went to shepaug middle/high school. other fun fact: internationally-renowned sculptor Alexander Calder lived in Roxbury.
Yep! Now a privately owned land trust, OK with bikes. Access is via the old mule train trail. Fucking brutal initial climb. Then the goodness begins. 50/50 mix of old trail refurbed as "hiker" trails by the land trust/local riders building stuff. Steep, chunky, slabby, rooty. The local built stuff is all on the backside, so you have to earn your turns for sure. I love the place. I do not go there when it's wet. Have taken others there for tours over the years - most don't want to go back. Much goodness crammed into a small area.

Bonkers mix of slow speed trialsy tech interspersed with high speed downs. Nothing resembling flowy in any way.

My first ride there was with one of the local builders, at night. Terrifying. Fun as hell. Also one of Wifey's favorite trail running spots.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This one has a bit of hike-a-bike...it's 4.5 miles one way, 3600'.

G0054160.JPG

Starting down
G0064171.JPG

There are a couple mountain goats hanging out on the lower right peaks. Supposedly a black bear was wandering in that direction earlier, but didn't see anything.
G0074178.JPG

G0074182.JPG

Right over this hill, the grades go to 50%, sustained for a few hundred vertical, this pushes any brake system to the limit.
G0074191.JPG

Off the steep grade part, able to cool the brakes down finally.
G0084206.JPG

Explaining to Karen that I have a note on my phone from the district ranger saying the trail is ok for bikes.
G0034098.JPG