Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This leads to a bunch of fun jumps which I appear to have forgotten how to hit. Life flashed before my eyes again. So close to landing on my face. My jumping mojo (such as it was), is gone.

D3F81E38-0715-4DED-90AE-D1BC2D371FCB.jpeg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The good:

20210328_093158_copy_1612x763.jpg

The bad:

20210328_133008_copy_763x1612.jpg

Havent been bitten this badly since high school. Though I did botch the drop rather badly, had a horrendous bottom out, careened wildly over a log and into a hole, yet somehow managed to stay upright. All in all it was a solid effort.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Havent been bitten this badly since high school. Though I did botch the drop rather badly, had a horrendous bottom out, careened wildly over a log and into a hole, yet somehow managed to stay upright. All in all it was a solid effort.
Should we call you “pretty legs”?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wifey getting the scenery in her background. You can't quite make out the snowy mountains in the background.
20210328_120120_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Not an actual ride yet, but a trail I rode quite a lot just after it was built — I just realised basically before kids — is now unbelievably ten years old, and is just getting a serious upgrade. Time does indeed fly.

Because it is probably 30 mins from where I live and there are two amazing sets of trails even closer, I haven’t been there for ages, but now I may go. They have a pump track at the top too.

Teaser photo from the upgrade announcement:

3D6728B5-C388-4170-94A5-6105F8A4AF2C.jpeg

Trailforks:

DDEEA8B6-8856-4BD0-8E2F-07DF346CC270.jpeg

Pre-upgrade vid - as ever watch in actual YT app for 4K:

Gonna go hit it when it opens:

“The job is expected to take 5 weeks in total, with the track complete in time for a big opening party at the Escape from Mt Crawford Mini-duro on the 25th of April. In the meantime, the trail is closed (for both riding and walking). Please respect the closure, and allow the build team from OnTrack to get the job completed.”.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First ride on dirt yesterday

1617202956267.png

shorts on dirt in March out here is pretty unheard of...

Spent my morning swapping a new rim on the rear wheel. Also put in a Tannus Tubeless insert. 10 minutes into the ride I sent a little rock drop (not as big as this one). Some of the armoring at the transition had shifted over the winter and was about 8" away from the rock face, which resulted in a punctured tire... Had a Stans Dart in my pocket, but either I didn't insert it properly, or my homebrew sealant doesn't play well with them (I kind of think the insert may have prevented the dart's head from going all the way through the tire and it didn't seat properly). Anyways, I needed to pump air in the tire every 5 minutes so I cut the ride short hoping not to damage my new rim. On the way home I stopped by the shop to buy a new rim and a new tire... I want to have those on hand as I've heard there is a bike equipment shortage at the moment... Still $250 later, it kinda smarts...

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Spent a few days in Hurricane/St George with friends. Good times

Waiting for my good friend Aden at the top of Zen trail. Awesome trail if you're into technical climbing. I like to think I'm reasonably good at tech climbing, but I had to walk a couple of sections.
IMG_5363.JPG

Aden and his bro had to go back to work. My employer (me) reluctantly granted to extend my vacation since the weather was really nice. Went to my favorite coffee shop. Really good coffee and cinammon bread budding :drool: with a view.
IMG_5365.jpg

New resident at Snake Hollow bike park
IMG_5376.JPG

The waterfall on Barrel trail. Not terribly technical, but you have to pick your line and just go because you won't be slowing down. I highly recommend watching Nate Hill's followcam episode where he follows Braydon Bringhurst down Barrel. He climbs up this thing :shocked:
IMG_5377.JPG

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yup! Added 35 psi and it was much better, in fact, I could probably even add another 10 psi. Hit a few 3' drops to flat that are ordinarily pretty harsh and it felt pretty supportive at the end of the stroke.
What pressure are you up to now?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Have you set your bike / rear shock up with the curb drop 1.5 bounce calibration thing? I find that works pretty well.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OK I am a bit half cut right now some use the words but basically you turn off all the damping, compression and rebound, then ride off a curb fairly fast but not like leaping of it. Get a friend to video the bounce. Adjust pressure until your shock bounces like 1.5 times, the one being the initial max from the drop and then a 0.5 half size bounce on the ‘rebound’. The pressure should be enough to stop it after that. If you get this pressure right then add damping to flavour, but the idea is that’s like a good starting pressure for you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Please help enlighten the ignorant. I have no idea what this curb drop 1.5 bounce calibration method is.

I assume he means adjusting slow speed rebound for a slightly underdamped system. Personally my starting point is closer to critical for the rear, underdamped for the fork so dynamic sag tends to slack the bike out vs steepening or catapulting you OTB (less of an issue with modern bikes)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK I am a bit half cut right now some use the words but basically you turn off all the damping, compression and rebound, then ride off a curb fairly fast but not like leaping of it. Get a friend to video the bounce. Adjust pressure until your shock bounces like 1.5 times, the one being the initial max from the drop and then a 0.5 half size bounce on the ‘rebound’. The pressure should be enough to stop it after that. If you get this pressure right then add damping to flavour, but the idea is that’s like a good starting pressure for you.

1617417321622.png

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
To be more precise that amount of bounce that you can usefully apply damping too. West’s pic is good, I think like you’re trying to get the ‘One half of critical damping’ curve without damping, then apply the damping to get your perfect curve.