Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
how can i get in touch with somebody at Iron Horse?
Carl said a while ago they'll have some rear triangles for the Sunday coming around this date...

or, anybody know where I can get one (used, new)?
Drop them an email or call them and ask for Jahn Magill. I mailed them myselft on Tuesday this week and John answerd within some hours.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
anyone know if there are any differences between the 07 and 08 sunday frames? i'm specifically interested in knowing whether the 08 world cup and factory frames are the same, like in 07.

dhocarl

Chimp
Feb 22, 2009
Hi guys i have a 2006 ironhorse sunday (red DW link)

i have a new lower linkage i want to fit BUT i cannot remove the caps, i'm also unsure the corrent method to do so

it looks like i cannot knock them through from the otherside as it sits flush with the DW link. Also the i cannot lever them out as there's the frame wont allow it without some filing so obviously i'm going about this the wrong way?

the cap appears to have a shaft of 3cm or so that goes through the bearing and into dw link. could someone please tell me the correct tools i need and how to go about it?

any help much appreciated!

cheers
Carl

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
I had the same problem with my 05, I tapped a small screwdriver outside near the bottom between the frame and the link cup, then pry (be patient). When the cup is out you can clean the frame up and the slot you made in the frame. She'll be good to go for the next time.

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
Yeah i had the same problem with my 06 frame but really it is simple. They aren't actually fixed in there and are only stayng there due to friction or grease all i did was to get a 10mm allen key wrapped something around the end (i used an old inner tube cut down so its a single layer) tap it in so it was a snug fit and pulled it out. It pulled them out enough to get my fingers in behind and caused no damage to the frame. Hope this helps.

Volcomjerk

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
Netherlands
I had the same problem with my 05, I tapped a small screwdriver outside near the bottom between the frame and the link cup, then pry (be patient). When the cup is out you can clean the frame up and the slot you made in the frame. She'll be good to go for the next time.
I guess you dont love your bike. Why wreck a good frame and linkage cup with a screwdriver if you can do it like this.

Cheers,
Roy

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Excellent use of software to demonstrate how its done. I like.

Just be sure not to stab yourself in the hand with the nail.

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
I guess you dont love your bike. Why wreck a good frame and linkage cup with a screwdriver if you can do it like this.

Cheers,
Roy
Who's wrecking anything. I did no more damage then placing a nail blindly inside a hole. If you have never had a Sunday apart you don't know the way any parts fit. :clue:

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Could anyone that has revalved their DHX themselves please list the detail of the size and number of shims used on the compression and rebound side of the piston?

I've got a standard aftermarket DHX 5 that I'm about to tear down to reshim for my Sunday, and would love to minimize the trial and error rebuilds that I went through with my Roco WC.

:cheers:

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008

Cheers,
Roy
Interesting, i quess the 08' sunday is different cause mine are threaded right into the dw-link. now, i have this exact problem with the opposite end of the link, where i connects to the rear triange. i need to take it out, i have a bit of play in it, i think the bearings are shot. and what size bearings do i need to buy for it?

Last edited:

dhocarl

Chimp
Feb 22, 2009
nail failed! got it off 5 min ago

description and pics to come

needed;

a punch
drill
pin spanner
9mm tap and die thread cutter
nail
hammer ;D

dhocarl

Chimp
Feb 22, 2009

ok step one; drill two hole either side of the cap

step two: place your pin spanner in the holes to top it rotating

step three; hold yoru pin spanner to stop cap rotating and cut a 9mm thread through the cap. cut thread 2cm

step four; place a nail through the other cap to meet the thread cutter

step five; hammer the f**ker out!

i'd just like to point out i bought this frame secondhand 3 weeks ago and had nothing to do with it getting into this state in the firstplace!

just like to thank ben from Torico in dorset for his help this afternoon, i'll drop some drill bits in next time i'm around! :)

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
Man, that's some nasty looking pivots you got there dhocarl. Excellent idea, although you ruined a set of pivots on the way... :P

I've got a question myself. Anyone here who's got a extra linkage kit on the shelf? I'm especially interested in these parts:

- 2008 DW-link
- Pivots that thread into the link
- 10mm pin shock axle

And of course all kind of hardware included.

You can contact me either by answering here or by sending me an e-mail to: david_iceman@hotmail.com

Come on guys, help a Swede to finish his dream bike build!

sbdownhiller

Chimp
Feb 25, 2009
Hey guys, got another sunday frame and its a 2007 wc with a dhx 5 with a 350lb spring. Totally different than the POS fith element on the last one. I never bothered fine tuning the last one because none of the adjustments worked. Kinda need some help fine tuning this thing. I have started with the recommendations on page one. I am 180lbs and ride pretty fast and rocky terrain. I need help finding a balance with the preload and air adjustment. What should the preload be? Air? I have never really messed with preload before and have no idea how to tell where it should be. I know i sound like a total dumb-ass but if you guys could help me out that would be awesome. thanks

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
Ive been picking through this thread a bit and noticed the issues with the vivid springs rubbing. i rode the 300lb all season, i gained a little weight and need to run a 350lb. its in the mail right now and im wondering if when i get it, will it rub like everyone says, did i just waste my money? is there anything anybody can do to rectifiy this issue? i really love the vivid, despite what everyone says and i dont want to change it. what to do?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I have a 350 on my Vivid and it doesn't rub at all, its close though.

What do you weigh? I'm 180ish with gear, and really cant decide what spring I like more, the 300 or the 350. With the 300 it was 40% sag with 2 clicks LSC (pedaled well, but bottomed out on large hits), or the 350 is like 33% with 1 click LSC (pedals ok, but never bottoms).

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
I have a 350 on my Vivid and it doesn't rub at all, its close though.

What do you weigh? I'm 180ish with gear, and really cant decide what spring I like more, the 300 or the 350. With the 300 it was 40% sag with 2 clicks LSC (pedaled well, but bottomed out on large hits), or the 350 is like 33% with 1 click LSC (pedals ok, but never bottoms).
well i weigh like 165lb right now. with the 300, im getting about 40% sag on like 3-4 clicks. Its not bad when im haulin ass on a dh trail anything else is not too fun. I want to be running a higher spring rate with a lower compression setting. Im just sick of having so much sag. I want to sit a little higher in the travel but yet still have it nice and bouncy. Even 35% is great, thats what you should be running with the sundays anyway. we'll see, im gonna have to do some testing. thanks for the input

Eric24v

Chimp
Feb 4, 2009
I have a 5th element rear shock and I'm wondering how tight/loose the spring should be set? You can increase/decrease the compression of the spring by spinning it around the shock body and wondering how to determine the correct setting.

Thanks

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Could anyone that has revalved their DHX themselves please list the detail of the size and number of shims used on the compression and rebound side of the piston?

I've got a standard aftermarket DHX 5 that I'm about to tear down to reshim for my Sunday, and would love to minimize the trial and error rebuilds that I went through with my Roco WC.

:cheers:
out of curiousity, what did you end up with in the roco? I have one, and I've done my fair share of t&e

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
out of curiousity, what did you end up with in the roco? I have one, and I've done my fair share of t&e
I used a bunch of your advice and ended up similarly. All duplicate shims are removed from the compression as well as the remaining 20mm. From the rebound side, I started with the little 11mm spacer against the piston and 2 of the rebound shims (so 1 removed). All filled up with Redline 2.5 oil and a 350# spring.

It feels pretty good, so now its on to the DHX:biggrin:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
O well that IH away then.
Shame after all that they did.
I think it would be crazy to buy a IH now even if they are going"Cheap"
No warrenty and no parts....
Saying that it depends how cheap?
Shame

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
The hole situation is getting confusing.

These kind of posts on that certain forum have turned up every week now for a while and on the other hand some peole at IH still pretend all is "ok".

However, thanks for sharing Todd.

Maye it's time for a a change or like Metallica likes to sing:

...am i Evil, yes i am......

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Guess I should be glad that I got the last pivot kit that Fluidride had. Kind of makes me feel happy in pants. Although doesn't look like I will be replacing the real link as easily as anticipated.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Does anyone know where to get hold of some lower link shock pins opr a complete pivot kit? I have two Sundays in the house here...

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Does anyone know where to get hold of some lower link shock pins opr a complete pivot kit? I have two Sundays in the house here...
If I were you, I wouold start calling all of the major MB shops in the counrty (Fluidride, The Fix..etc) and see fi they have them. With the recent news I would say that getting Sunday parts is going to become very difficult, very soon.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Hey I know this is a forum for bikes with the dw-link, but i also know that there are lots of gus that know about iron horse here. I have an 2003 sgs with the 2004 FR e13 link. I was wondering if it is possible to flip the link and gain more travel without the brace bottoming out on the front triangle. If this is ok then how much travel would the frame have? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

Our local distributor tore down a "sunday tuned" and an aftermarket DHX, and apparently the shim configuration was the same. I would try the shock as-is first and make your own decisions in regard to tuning. I think it will be dependant on the spring-rate you are running also. If it's 300-350 the stock shock will work great, if it's 250-275 I'd remove just one of the larger rebound shims.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Hey I know this is a forum for bikes with the dw-link, but i also know that there are lots of gus that know about iron horse here. I have an 2003 sgs with the 2004 FR e13 link. I was wondering if it is possible to flip the link and gain more travel without the brace bottoming out on the front triangle. If this is ok then how much travel would the frame have? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
I imagine it would only cause problems and ruin geometry. I know the Ironhorse team drilled new holes for the top shock mount to make the bike lower and slacker. Do some searches about that you might find some info.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
i think that would do nothing bad, if you try it. if the geo sucks, you can flip it back..:)

i still seriously need a rear triangle for my sunday!!
any year any condition!
mail me : rodus77@gmail.com

Last edited:

scorpion8246

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
Hey anyone , I just had a quick question about my new Iron horse sunday frame, I actually have a 83mm bb with a 56mm chainline and I was wondering if it could be used even though sundays usually run on 57.5mm's , any suggestion? would a few spacers work? if so, exactly how many?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Will work perfectly fine. If you were to measure out a 150 rear end bike frame, you would find the chainline to be exactly 55mm..........

Most cranks these days are just a bit wider to provide room for bearings and such.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
a bit off-topic, but dou you know where i can find a high resolution front IH logo (yellow or silver) on the web?
google dont have any , but low res..

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Does anyone know the thread on the front DW link bolts? The ones with the 22mm hex.

I think its a M16 x 1.5.

I'm going to get a bunch of pivot kits made. If anyones interested in buying some let me know.

May 16, 2008
Yeah so surprise surprise the sunday frame i bought last year in may 2008 now has a crack in the head tube. I called Ironhorse to get a warranty and some guy answers who wont tell me anything about the company , however he will tell me that the dude i used to deal with, michael paledino, does not work there any more. Nor does anyone else that used to work there. All the guy will tell me is to contact Randall Scott cycles and they might be able to help me. Supposedly they are the company that swooped in and bought all the remaining stock when World Wide Cycle Supply was liquidating there assets. I call up RS Cycles who say they dont really know what's going on and they are only giving a warranty for the IH's they have sold. I am pretty pissed with them too considering they are still selling IronHorse bikes. If they are selling them, than they are representing the Ironhorse name, and they need to be servicing all Iron Horse customers.

This is freakin bogus, i feel totally betrayed, cant believe that a company can just get away with closing shop and not telling anyone. I now have a cracked frame that is less than a year old, that is too dangerous to ride.

This is one pissed off IronHorse owner.
Any info??

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I dont think anyone is pleased about the IH fiasco except possibly the ex owner/RS owner...although the writing certianly wa on the wall for a while. I have an 07, and it is holding up quite well, but the loss in value certainly does not make me happy. When I move on to a new frame, my Sunday will be near worthless for sure. Definately the worst financial bike situation I have dealt with....

RS only bought the parts, and not the company name, they legally have no obligation to offer warranty on a product from a wholely seperate company....

Now the only issue that makes this a little 'iffy' is the supposed 'less than legal' way that product was moved from company to company....and the nepotism involved. You can read the post by the ex-employee for his take..

BTW, it seems that in general, the Sunday holds up quite well (outside of the early pivot issues)...out of curiosity, how and where did the frame crack??? Is it a US made or overseas made frame?

May 16, 2008
Its the second one I have cracked. This one a standard 2008 Sunday WC.

I ride and Live in Whistler. I try and ride six days a week squeezing in 10-12 runs a day. about a 100 days a season. I figured it out that i rode over 3 million vert. feet last summer on my bike . Its my second one that has cracked under the head tub. At least the new bearings don't wear out so quick. the split in the seat post tube around the shock also cracks but i figure that doesn't matter to much as it wouldn't result in a high consequence fail like a head tube failure would.

No excessive abuse , just regular riding. too the people who say these bikes are in-destructible I laugh. The hardware is some of the worst I have ever seen. The shock pins wear out in like a month. I love the feel of the bike but the bike is cheap !!!