Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
I know of a large frame in whistler (for another few weeks), Bos link, K9 -2 degree headset and thomson post
tomkelly2452691 at hotmail

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys would loctite 638 retaining compound work for the lower link as cant find loctite 609 in the uk

Thanks Chris

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
638 is listed as high/maximum strength and for larger gaps than the medium 609 - so it will probably work fine, but it may be hard to disassemble and would probably require a blowtorch to loosen when the time comes to remove parts.

Sometimes ebay can be useful to find the grades that aren't available locally.

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
ok thanks guys much appreciated i have just changed all the frame bearings and done the o'ring trick so shouldn't have to disassemble for a while and got a blow torch at work i could use if i have to disassemble.

Thanks Chris

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
I can't find the BOS linkage in the BOS website, is it not available anymore? I saw it in the official website a month ago or so.

I am sad

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
For all the e-Ngineer out there..

Maybe its possible to create 'stage 2' upper + lower links with floating shock mount to alter the geo and shock curve.. Lower slacker end stroke support?

Looks like sunday is the real 'undead'.. And the new links can be called zombie link hahaha. Just sayin..

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
DW, or monkies with engineering, cad and fab background can help design

upper link with "flip chips" that switches from stock to slack geo. Alu, or carbon,

sunday owners will surely buy.

'04 sunday proto was a floating shock mount (lower link), it was dropped, due to the benefits is not that significant compared to the final design, frame mounted.

View attachment 114207

Downloaded the evil undead jpg file from pb, going to a print shop for a vinyl wrap undead stickers for my sunday. zombie stickers, makes your bike faster.

Last edited:

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
I can't find the BOS linkage in the BOS website, is it not available anymore? I saw it in the official website a month ago or so.

I am sad
Why do you need it ?
Just cut ur one to fit a RC4 .There will be no problem or whatsoever.
I've been running it for 1 year like that ; )

Do we seriously need newer links for better geo and more pop.
Just get -2 or -3 degree cups and you will have slacker geo(longer wheelbase).
I wanted more pop as well and I bought RC4(you can try air shock) and run it with max pressure or close to it.Even you can try to go to one step further in spring rates for your stated weight.
Currently I am running 190 psi and 300 lbs on RC4 and my weight is 68kg (150lbs) geared.
All depends on riding styles and what kind of ride u preffer.

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys a bit of a problem here its been annoying me for months now basically when i do a jump or go over roots and drops etc the bike makes a loud clonking noise. So stripped down frame and replaced all bearings and bought a new front lower link bolt as that's what i thought was causing it as it was just slightly bent and loctite the rear lower link to eliminate play. Also i changed the shock to and checked the air pressure in it which im running 190 psi and it still clonks like mad any ideas what it could be?

Thanks Chris

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys a bit of a problem here its been annoying me for months now basically when i do a jump or go over roots and drops etc the bike makes a loud clonking noise. So stripped down frame and replaced all bearings and bought a new front lower link bolt as that's what i thought was causing it as it was just slightly bent and loctite the rear lower link to eliminate play. Also i changed the shock to and checked the air pressure in it which im running 190 psi and it still clonks like mad any ideas what it could be?

Thanks Chris

Have you got any play ?You didnt say anything abt shock bushes but I dont think it will make that loud noise.
You can try more preload on the spring ,it can be anything.
Give us some more info .
What kind of shock u r running?
Is the noise coming from your rear shock or your forks :D

Last edited:

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
yeah its defo coming from my rear shock and have tried different preload on the spring its all set up fine even changed rear tyre for a smaller size just in case the tyre was hitting frame. Not changed shock bushings tho.

Last edited:

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
yeah its defo coming from my rear shock and have tried different preload on the spring its all set up fine even changed rear tyre for a smaller size just in case the tyre was hitting frame. Not changed shock bushings tho.
The easiest thing to do is to grab another shock for a try : )
If the bushes have play you will be able to feel it when u lift ur saddle up.
If there is no play probably ur shock needs servicing :(
What kind of shock you are running there m8?

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
yeah well i had newish shock on it because i havent had it long and got it brand new dhx 4.0 and it was leaking air so put it in water but cant find any leaks so put my old shock back on the dhx 3.0 which has been tf tuned but was tf tuned when i got the bike so not sure when it was done also think my bushes have play in them as i can feel it in the saddle when i lift it up slightly could that be the cause of the clonking noise?

Thanks Chris

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
yeah well i had newish shock on it because i havent had it long and got it brand new dhx 4.0 and it was leaking air so put it in water but cant find any leaks so put my old shock back on the dhx 3.0 which has been tf tuned but was tf tuned when i got the bike so not sure when it was done also think my bushes have play in them as i can feel it in the saddle when i lift it up slightly could that be the cause of the clonking noise?

Thanks Chris
If I were you I'd wait for a few more opinions and will decide what to do after that .
So when u go over roots you still hear that noise.I mean it's not only when u bottom it out is it ?
I had dhx3 before and I was bottom it out harshly with 350 spring - 10.5 stones(68kg).

chrisDhFTW

Chimp
Sep 14, 2011
yeah ill wait for more opinions and yeah i still hear that noise its like every time the shock moves and im not bottoming out my dhx 3

one-eyed_joe

Chimp
Jul 25, 2013
Manchester, UK
bike at fjs.jpg

Got myself a second-hand 2008 factory and some heavily discounted 888s and I now have a really sweet rig. A big thanks goes out to all the contributors of this thread, the info in here has been invaluable.

AndySTi

Chimp
Apr 3, 2010
Siberia
yeah ill wait for more opinions and yeah i still hear that noise its like every time the shock moves and im not bottoming out my dhx 3
Have you tried compressing the shock by hand and seeing if you can feel (or hear) any unusual movements, play, harsh topout (or any kind of inconsistency in the compression/rebound)?

Edit: I'm currently running an '12 RC4 in my Sunday. One of the best investments ever. Coming off a CCDB, I do miss the sensitivity, but the RC4 has great mid-stroke support and it is completely silent (coming from a guy who hates a noisy bike).

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Have you tried compressing the shock by hand and seeing if you can feel (or hear) any unusual movements, play, harsh topout (or any kind of inconsistency in the compression/rebound)?

Edit: I'm currently running an '12 RC4 in my Sunday. One of the best investments ever. Coming off a CCDB, I do miss the sensitivity, but the RC4 has great mid-stroke support and it is completely silent (coming from a guy who hates a noisy bike).
The lower-eyelet bushings have to be what is the matter, since they don't rotate much they take a beating. Go Enduro Roller on both ends of the shock - OE hardware to match the new bushings can be hard to come by.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
I need help to buy the correct spring rate for my Sunday.

Now i weight like 80kg with gear (probably a bit less), i have a 400x3.25 spring and 20% SAG with the stock Fox DHX3. I want more SAG, like 30%, and i dont know what Nukeproof spring buy, 325lbs or 350lbs.

Thanks

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
no garatee for that according to this: http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=1415

* Accuracy: Fox promises to supply springs within 15% of their labeled value. You think that’s bad? Actually they often measure up to 25% off. You can expect that any bicycle spring you purchase will be about as bad. Why does this matter? Simply put, you can’t tune your suspension without measuring each spring you use (nobody does). This is because of something called coil rate overlap. Assume two springs; a 400 lb/in labeled spring and a 450 lb/in labeled spring. The rider is looking for a stiffer spring. She swaps out the 400 for the 450 and the bike works worse. Why, imagine the 400 is actually 15% high and the 450 is 15% low. That means that she actually took out a 460 lb/in spring and replaced it with a 383 lb/in spring. This happens all the time, even if you go to Fox’s race support truck since they don’t bother to rate springs either. Fox also refuses to rate springs you order from them. Ugh! This is one of the #1 reasons why people get lost tuning suspension.

connecting to nukeproof springs, do you think are they exceptions?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Can I put a Fox RC4 taken from 2012 Operator? Is it custom tuned or not?
Thanks.
Whatever the shock is - OE or something added to the bike - be sure the shock has the low-compression Tune. A horses-ass of a shop owner once acted like a blowhard, saying the medium-tune works best for IH DW-Link. It's just not the case, so follow this Thread, take the advice and do it the right way.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
ive only seen one or two that were specifically truned.. although i only remember one, so maybe i only saw one :)

the one that i remember was on ebay, and it said it had a 'M' tune.. i believe it was a new, take off. so maybe that was the reason for a tune..? it was a couple of months ago

as for the rest, no tune!

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
ok thanks guys much appreciated i have just changed all the frame bearings and done the o'ring trick so shouldn't have to disassemble for a while and got a blow torch at work i could use if i have to disassemble.

Thanks Chris
What o-ring trick? Need to change my bearings soon, so am interested in hearing this. :)

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
What o-ring trick? Need to change my bearings soon, so am interested in hearing this. :)
It appears fitting a tight o-ring atop the extended-race of the Enduros has met the needs of riders wanting to avoid buildup of sludge.

Instead -- as I don't consider this all that wise -- I just acid brush the area or wipe with a diaper cloth. Having something like that rubber o-ring be able to house debris, potentially against the rubber seals of the Bearings - it leads to more maintenance than it would prevent.

Whatever though, so long as it stays clean.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Currently using kashima RC4 on my sunday, with a sticker "compression tune F"

F is for FIRM.

is it correct, to say this is the low compression tune shox, that is required on sunday?

Last edited:

Carrera911xc

Chimp
Aug 5, 2013
Hello,
This is my first post so please excuse any noobish ignorance. A few months ago I bought a 6point8 that I really liked but have been lusting after a Sunday ever since. I stumbled upon a large Sunday on ebay that I was the winning bidder for a few days ago and had a few questions.

This is the frame I purchased : http://www.ebay.com/itm/400567072919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Am I correct in assuming this is an 06 elite frame? I also recently purchased a mildly used Bos Stoy with a Sunday tune. Am I correct in assuming this shock either requires a BOS link or modification to the existing link? If this is indeed an 06, is it useful to update to one of the later linkages? Is it even possible to find these parts anymore? Thanks!

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
nice find! i was lucky to score a brand new large sunday also, any chance you want to sell that 6point 8 frame now that all the parts will go on the sunday?

Carrera911xc

Chimp
Aug 5, 2013
nice find! i was lucky to score a brand new large sunday also, any chance you want to sell that 6point 8 frame now that all the parts will go on the sunday?
I definitely want to sell it after I swap the parts over. The 6point is a 17", has a month old 8.75x2.75 Roco WC(180mm travel) and a Works 1.5 deg angle headset. I was running it with a 180mm front fork so it was practically a mini dh rig. If I wasn't too big for it I wouldn't have bought the Sunday.

Can anyone confirm what needs to be done to the link to fit that BOS Stoy shock on it? I also have a Vector HLR on the way. Can anyone confirm if Vector shock will fit without modification? Any recommendation on which shock to go with? The BOS is tuned for the Sunday while the HLR has no pro pedal and both LSC, HSC, and Rebound adjustments. Still hoping the BOS can be made to fit without too much hassle (I'm pretty handy with machine tools). Thx

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
no garatee for that according to this: http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=1415

* Accuracy: Fox promises to supply springs within 15% of their labeled value. You think that’s bad? Actually they often measure up to 25% off. You can expect that any bicycle spring you purchase will be about as bad. Why does this matter? Simply put, you can’t tune your suspension without measuring each spring you use (nobody does). This is because of something called coil rate overlap. Assume two springs; a 400 lb/in labeled spring and a 450 lb/in labeled spring. The rider is looking for a stiffer spring. She swaps out the 400 for the 450 and the bike works worse. Why, imagine the 400 is actually 15% high and the 450 is 15% low. That means that she actually took out a 460 lb/in spring and replaced it with a 383 lb/in spring. This happens all the time, even if you go to Fox’s race support truck since they don’t bother to rate springs either. Fox also refuses to rate springs you order from them. Ugh! This is one of the #1 reasons why people get lost tuning suspension.

connecting to nukeproof springs, do you think are they exceptions?
I believe it. 400lbs on my bike (not a Sunday) feels great but according to the manufacturer and my tuning/valving, I should be on a 450 (I know it's all preference). I tried a 450 just for the fun of it and it was such a drastic change that I couldn't do another run. You'd think I was on a 500.

But I've read Ti springs are much more accurate?

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Has anyone gone from a small to a medium sunday?
I have the option to go up a size and I have always found my sunday a bit small even with 2 degree cups.

the only issue i see is that the only difference seems to be 1" longer effective top tube length.
would this even be noticeable enough to warrant the hassle of changing?