Quantcast

the random thought thread

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's snowing here pretty good (central MA)!!!!111!!

Sucks....I was hoping to ride at the Wicked Ride of the East at HP tomorrow, too.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
yea I would appreciate that man. I don't have FB so that would be nice to know. It would suck to drive an hour+ there and find out it's postponed. Though judging by the amount of snow already I don't think it will be happening anyway.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
One more: I just realized the Columbia jacket/gloves/boots I use for shoveling were all given to me as Christmas/b-day gifts at least 12-13 years ago. Man that makes me feel old.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yea IL9 sent me a link to the WRotE site. Based on the amount of snow I've seen here so far already, I don't see the trails being in good riding shape by next weekend. We'll see I guess.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That makes me feel a little better about dropping $300 on a Columbia jacket last season. Omni-heat is the isht. Sooo warm.
Now that I'm pretty big into winter camping/hiking/mountaineering, I take clothing pretty seriously and don't mess around anymore. My old Columbia jacket couldn't hold a candle to my big down Mountain Hardwear jacket in terms of warmth, but that's comparing apples to oranges really. For it to have lasted this long is a testament to their quality/durability though. Same with the boots.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Now that I'm pretty big into winter camping/hiking/mountaineering, I take clothing pretty seriously and don't mess around anymore. My old Columbia jacket couldn't hold a candle to my big down Mountain Hardwear jacket in terms of warmth, but that's comparing apples to oranges really. For it to have lasted this long is a testament to their quality/durability though. Same with the boots.
I have a few lighter Mountain Hardware jackets and they're awesome, but this new omni-heat material is serious business. I've worn it with just a t-shirt night skiing, 0 degrees with a -30 wind chill and I was completely comfortable. Its pretty much a space blanket liner. I'm getting pants and gloves to match this season.

I really wish it was down fill instead of synthetic though.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
I have a few lighter Mountain Hardware jackets and they're awesome, but this new omni-heat material is serious business. I've worn it with just a t-shirt night skiing, 0 degrees with a -30 wind chill and I was completely comfortable. Its pretty much a space blanket liner. I'm getting pants and gloves to match this season.

I really wish it was down fill instead of synthetic though.
That looks like the liner of Columbia Lhotse Mountain Omni-Heat Parka. Love the zip out liner and wear it as a light jacket all the time!

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
That looks like the liner of Columbia Lhotse Mountain Omni-Heat Parka. Love the zip out liner and wear it as a light jacket all the time!
Good eye! I thought all onmi-heat looked the same, but yes that's the jacket I have. The liner is a little warm for a light jacket imo. I usually wear my MH Monkey Man for like 50-32, The Lhotse liner for 32-20, and the full jacket for 20 degrees and below.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Spend the weekend brewery hopping with my girlfriends old man. I might need to make sure this relationship works out just so he and I can hang out more often, he's got it all figured out.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Good eye! I thought all onmi-heat looked the same, but yes that's the jacket I have. The liner is a little warm for a light jacket imo. I usually wear my MH Monkey Man for like 50-32, The Lhotse liner for 32-20, and the full jacket for 20 degrees and below.
Yeah I don't usually start wearing it until the temp is regularly in the 40s but when I do it is usually all I need. It has to be one of the most comfortable "jackets" I have ever owned. My "50-32" jacket is usually my EWCS Gen III fleece from the military or if it is wet out I like to wear the shell of the Lhotse.

Definitely love the Columbia....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When you hold a giant bowl of candy in front of a 6 year old and tell them to grab a handful.......you'd have never thought he'd have the palming abilities of Shaq when it comes to grabbing candy.

Lesson learned last year.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I just opened a package full of bearings/pulleys/machined parts that was shipped to us from Japan. When I opened the box the smell reminded me of when I opened my first Game Boy. I now wonder if all of Japan smells like that. It's like a combination of circuit boards and child tears.