Quantcast

the random thought thread

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Cracking the Human Resource Code
COMPETITIVE SALARY
Most of our competitors don't pay much either.

"JOIN OUR FAST-PACED COMPANY"
We have no time to train you.

"CASUAL WORK ATMOSPHERE"
You'll be here very late, very often -- might as well be comfortable.

"MUST BE DEADLINE-ORIENTED"
Your first four projects are already way overdue.

"SOME OVERTIME REQUIRED"
Did we mention that you'll be here very late, very often? And most weekends.

"DUTIES WILL VARY"
Anyone in the office can boss you around.

"MUST HAVE AN EYE FOR DETAIL"
We have no quality control.

"CAREER-MINDED"
Female applicants must be childless.

"APPLY IN PERSON"
If you're old, fat or ugly, that position has already been filled.

"NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE"
This job listing is just a legal formality. The position was filled by some executive's nephew.

"SEEKING CANDIDATES WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF EXPERIENCE"
Due to consolidation, you'll be replacing three people.

"PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS A MUST"
This company is a total mess.

"REQUIRES TEAM LEADERSHIP SKILLS"
You'll have all the responsibilities of upper management, without the pay, title or respect.

"GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS"
Listen to management, figure out what they want, don't ask too many questions and get the job done.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
note to self: during recorded demo on a webex, make sure you keep negative observations of attending 3rd parties [however accurate] limited to texting, and not gchats that popup when you're sharing your screen.

especially when it's the client who's the fckup

:cant_unfart:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Watching me try to take a 29er tire off is very much like my first time going to second base.

Dry mouth & all

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
At least you work with women...I work with a bunch of dudes. Although we had a Lucy Liu/Akira Lane look alike here for awhile. She liked yoga pants...that was nice...

Alexis Benhumea, murdered in the State of Mexico.
Francisco Javier Cortés, murdered in the State of Mexico.
Juan Vázquez Guzmán, murdered in Chiapas.
Juan Carlos Gómez Silvano, murdered in Chiapas.
El compa Kuy, murdered in Mexico City.
Carlo Giuliani, murdered in Italy.
Alexis Grigoropoulos, murdered in Greece.
Wajih Wajdi al-Ramahi, murdered in a Refugee Camp in the West Bank city of Ramallah. At 14 years old, he was shot in the back from an Israeli observation post. There were no marches, protests, or anything else in the streets.
Matías Valentín Catrileo Quezada, mapuche murdered in Chile.
Teodulfo Torres Soriano, compa of the Sixth, disappeared in Mexico City.
Guadalupe Jerónimo and Urbano Macías, comuneros from Cherán, murdered in Michoacan.
Francisco de Asís Manuel, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Javier Martínes Robles, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Gerardo Vera Orcino, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Enrique Domínguez Macías, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Martín Santos Luna, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Pedro Leyva Domínguez, murdered in Santa María Ostula.
Diego Ramírez Domínguez, murdered in Santa María Ostula.
Trinidad de la Cruz Crisóstomo, murdered in Santa María Ostula.
Crisóforo Sánchez Reyes, murdered in Santa María Ostula.
Teódulo Santos Girón, disappeared in Santa María Ostula.
Longino Vicente Morales, disappeared in Guerrero.
Víctor Ayala Tapia, disappeared in Guerrero.
Jacinto López Díaz “El Jazi”, murdered in Puebla.
Bernardo Vázquez Sánchez, murdered in Oaxaca.
Jorge Alexis Herrera, murdered in Guerrero.
Gabriel Echeverría, murdered in Guerrero.
Edmundo Reyes Amaya, disappeared in Oaxaca.
Gabriel Alberto Cruz Sánchez, disappeared in Oaxaca.
Juan Francisco Sicilia Ortega, murdered in Morelos.
Ernesto Méndez Salinas, murdered in Morelos.
Alejandro Chao Barona, murdered in Morelos.
Sara Robledo, murdered in Morelos.
Juventina Villa Mojica, murdered in Guerrero.
Reynaldo Santana Villa, murdered in Guerrero.
Catarino Torres Pereda, murdered in Oaxaca.
Bety Cariño, murdered in Oaxaca.
Jyri Jaakkola, murdered in Oaxaca.
Sandra Luz Hernández, murdered in Sinaloa.
Marisela Escobedo Ortíz, murdered in Chihuahua.
Celedonio Monroy Prudencio, disappeared in Jalisco.
Nepomuceno Moreno Nuñez, murdered in Sonora.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was fired from my last job. They mailed me my last check and sent me a letter explaining what fired meant. Blah blah blah. So I had their laptop. Nothing special. I explained to them I had it and wanted to return it. They sent me another letter explaining what it meant to be fired. I put the laptop on a shelf and waited for them to tell me where to return it. That was 11 months ago. Is the laptop mine?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Is the laptop mine?
i was let go from hp 5 yrs ago to the week [all of HP Federal dried up here in COS b/c we priced ourselves out of the market]. i'm doing a production deployment tonight using the laptop i kept when shown the door. most bizarre termination ever.

bottom line: the heart wants what the heart wants
go full baller & never look back

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i was let go from hp 5 yrs ago to the week [all of HP Federal dried up here in COS b/c we priced ourselves out of the market]. i'm doing a production deployment tonight using the laptop i kept when shown the door. most bizarre termination ever.

bottom line: the heart wants what the heart wants
go full baller & never look back

it still connects to the Reuters VPN??

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I was fired from my last job. They mailed me my last check and sent me a letter explaining what fired meant. Blah blah blah. So I had their laptop. Nothing special. I explained to them I had it and wanted to return it. They sent me another letter explaining what it meant to be fired. I put the laptop on a shelf and waited for them to tell me where to return it. That was 11 months ago. Is the laptop mine?
How exactly does one get so fired they can't return a laptop?

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I need a vacation. And not like the one I have in a few weeks where we go visit my wife's family in the midwest. I need a real vacation where I get to go somewhere I want to go and do things I want to do.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't need a permanent vacation, I love the wife and kid. Just a few days (or a week) away from everything.

My Brother goes to Ontario County Park and rents a cabin for the night. Take your bike ride in the morning and return home the next day. $30 for a single cabin, beer and food down the road. Just don't tell anyone how great the riding is there... All trails are bike legal. All of them.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Was the good or bad parenting?

Several days ago, I introduced the girls to Weird Al's "Eat It".....precipitated by trying to get Emily to finish her dinner. I showed it to them on youtube. Now Emily was at least vaguely familiar with Weird Al. (His version of "Black or White"). Eat It was a hit. S I showed them Beat It. Now Grace it fascinated with Michael Jackson. And with all the youtube watching, we got back to Weird Al's Black or White, that uses part of Twisted Sisters We're not gonna take it. So then I showed them the Twisted sister video.

Good parenting or bad parenting?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My Brother goes to Ontario County Park and rents a cabin for the night. Take your bike ride in the morning and return home the next day. $30 for a single cabin, beer and food down the road. Just don't tell anyone how great the riding is there... All trails are bike legal. All of them.

Great to hear.
I grew up riding in Syracuse and a lot of the finger lakes areas, this was never on the radar. How would you describe the riding? Foresty? Chunky? Hilly? A little bit of everything?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Great to hear.
I grew up riding in Syracuse and a lot of the finger lakes areas, this was never on the radar. How would you describe the riding? Foresty? Chunky? Hilly? A little bit of everything?
Kind of flowy and rooty. Mostly fun. Typical shaley western NY stuff. All in the woods. Nothing to difficult yet entertaining. A hot shower after a trailride is nice. Very family freindly.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This made me giggle-

Built around a Dura-Ace track hub using angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.

Looks like they've done a lot of work at Ontario County Park. A few of us went riding there about 4yrs ago and I don't remember there being that many marked trails.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
1092MB of updates, eff you Microsoft, Windows used to fit on a few floppy disks now an update is equivalent to 758 floppy disks.